Author Topic: Rigs for panfish and bass  (Read 1678 times)

Offline PikeFisherman325

• IceShanty Rookie
Rigs for panfish and bass
« on: Dec 11, 2016, 03:49 PM »
I was wondering what were some rigs you guys use for panfish or bass. I'm getting into tip ups for them!

Offline Ramp 23

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Rigs for panfish and bass
« Reply #1 on: Dec 11, 2016, 04:34 PM »
Bass I use a 36" 8 lb mono leader with a # 8 treble hook. Barrel swivel on other end to dacron running line. Split shot 12" above hook , more or less weight depends on size of bait & mood of bass , lots of perch on same rig too.

Offline Papa Sly

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Dec 11, 2016, 05:33 PM »
Here I use 30# flouro for bass because I have had pickerel slice through 20# mono like butter.
A bad day of ice fishing is better than any day at work!
http://i.imgur.com/dIEANML.jpg?1

Offline bb400guy

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Dec 11, 2016, 05:58 PM »
One rig that I "make" is to cut a pickerel rig in half, then I tie on one very small snap on the bottom and one very small swivel to the top (I discard the ones it comes with).  I use whatever small jig is working for me on the bottom snap, but on the wire arm I tie a piece clear fluorocarbon then tie on a small fly - the length of fluorocarbon should be just long enough so that the fly sits only 3 or so inches above the jig.  Now when those finicky perch/pannies come around to just stare at the jig they see this helpless little fly/water bug just sitting there and they usually nail it. 

This is a good rig to use when there's a lot of "lookers" but no takers.     
How long is a piece of string?

Offline panfishman13

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: Dec 12, 2016, 12:10 PM »
i use tipups for larger perch occasionally, and the best rigging i've come up with is pretty heavy on the KISS method (keep it simple, stupid).

two #6 circle hooks tied 1 foot apart on a 3 foot leader of 10 lb test mono, with a 1/2 oz. trolling sinker or egg sinker above. bait it with small bits of bait, so the perch are forced to get the hook in their mouth, otherwise they'll just steal your bait. if you're losing bait, downsize your hooks.

suspend the bottom hook 1 foot off bottom, any perch passing through the area will be sure to see it.

Offline Kevin23

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #5 on: Dec 17, 2016, 01:50 PM »
I was wondering what were some rigs you guys use for panfish or bass. I'm getting into tip ups for them!

My panfish/bass tipups are rigged with 15# mason tip up line, a #10 swivel, a #6-8# fluorocarbon leader of desired length, a small split shot (usually #7), and a #12 treble hook or #6 octopus hook. If I am targeting JUST panfish, which I do often, I will switch to a 4# leader and a #14 treble or #8 octopus.
EYECONICFISHING

Offline DR.SPECKLER

• Team IceShantyholic
  • find your own fish..
« Reply #6 on: Dec 17, 2016, 03:36 PM »
my tip up set up for  specks is a #6 to #4 3ft leader splitshot and  no.16 micro treble with a small emerald shiner on it.my bluegill tip up setup is the same but a vertical teardrop with waxies or spikes.i like tipups for crappie it helps locate the school when they leave my jigging holes and tells me what direction they are headed.

Offline Chris338378

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #7 on: Dec 19, 2016, 03:27 PM »
All my tip-ups are set up the same 50 pound dacron, barrel swivel, 6 feet of 30 pound Spider Wire EZ Braid (it has the same diameter as four pound mono) and a number 8 treble hook.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.