Author Topic: old traps  (Read 953 times)

Offline hawkeye68

• IceShanty Rookie
old traps
« on: Feb 07, 2013, 05:32 PM »
i have a set of moosehead tipups i would like to refinish,what would be good to refinish them with was wondering what they used on the colored heritage traps kinda like the black heritage traps. thanks guys

Offline Yukoner

• Team IceShanty Addict
Re: old traps
« Reply #1 on: Feb 08, 2013, 12:20 PM »
I use spar varnish more than anything else.  Varathane is pretty good, too, but seems to crack a bit, and water gets under the finish quicker.  I think it may be because the spar penetrates better, or I do not apply the Varathane correctly.

Once water gets under the finish, freezing and thawing cycles do a number on it pretty quick, and it starts flaking off.

I know a professional stock maker who uses Super Glue, of all things, to finish walnut gunstocks.  Says it is by far the toughest finish he has ever discovered.  It is tricky to do, but is tough as nails and looks beautiful.

Ted

Offline mainebuckslayer

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2 on: Feb 08, 2013, 01:10 PM »
I just redid my Heritage Ice Traps this year and used Minwax PolyShades.  This is a stain and polyurethane all in one.  I used the Natural Cherry Gloss, it took 3 coats with sanding in between but the traps came out awesome.  They seem to hold up well so far and with the poly the ice seems to come off very easy. 

Offline pascoag icefisher

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #3 on: Feb 10, 2013, 12:56 PM »
i like use minwax water base wood stain. it come in 50 different colors. then i used Minwax Polycrylic Protective Finish. i stained mine blue they came out great.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.