Author Topic: Basic Sled for Ice Fishing  (Read 2646 times)

Offline theTUGistheDRUG

• Team IceShanty Regular
Basic Sled for Ice Fishing
« on: Mar 04, 2023, 02:33 AM »
Been researching a few years and I swear there was a very helpful portion of the Oneida forum that I now cannot locate…. Imagine that might be the booze 🥃. I need a basic reliable sled that fits in a 10’ clam. What criteria should I be looking for? Reverse seems pretty important and studded track seems like a big one. Fan vs liquid? Size? Looking for some suggestions and guidelines by folks that have been in this position. Appreciate the help all!!!  Next winter can’t come soon enough.

Offline ian_padron

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: Basic Sled for Ice Fishing
« Reply #1 on: Mar 04, 2023, 10:58 PM »
Fan cooled is the way to roll for ice fishing duty unless you live somewhere that gets a lot of powder.

I think the Arctic Cat Bearcats are the bomb, along with any of the 4 stroke Skidoo utility sleds. What's your budget?

Offline filetandrelease

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #2 on: Mar 05, 2023, 05:12 AM »

I use a 550 fan tundra plenty of power and it’s light with no complaints , you need to figure in the snow and slush factor where you fish,  most years we deal with some really bad slush and snow conditions
 Long track sleds do much better in deep snow and slush , if you don’t have those 2 issues a chained wheeler might work better for you

Offline theTUGistheDRUG

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Mar 06, 2023, 07:15 AM »
Fan cooled is the way to roll for ice fishing duty unless you live somewhere that gets a lot of powder.

I think the Arctic Cat Bearcats are the bomb, along with any of the 4 stroke Skidoo utility sleds. What's your budget?

I would like to keep it under $1200 (less is better) and I am ok with less frills and older, as long as it meets the basic criteria (well maintained, reverse, studded track, fan cooled, fits in trailer).

Offline theTUGistheDRUG

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Mar 06, 2023, 07:19 AM »
I use a 550 fan tundra plenty of power and it’s light with no complaints , you need to figure in the snow and slush factor where you fish,  most years we deal with some really bad slush and snow conditions
 Long track sleds do much better in deep snow and slush , if you don’t have those 2 issues a chained wheeler might work better for you

My fishing buddy has a small 4 wheeler with chains, but we have been doing a lot of digging at Oneida over the years.  Also looking to add something new to our arsenal so we can start taking out more buddies that want to try ice fishing but don't want to buy equipment until we get them addicted.  >:D

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.