Author Topic: Otter Quality Beyond Terrible...  (Read 2857 times)

Offline ian_padron

• IceShanty Rookie
Otter Quality Beyond Terrible...
« on: Mar 03, 2023, 12:28 PM »
After a few years living out of the ice belt, moved to MT and am back to ice fishin' a few days a week.

I read up on the forums and it seemed like Otter was recommended as the highest quality shelter by a wide margin, so I bought a Lodge Hub this year and man, what a piece of junk.

After sending photos to the warranty department of the shoddy seams, torn window corners, etc. I was told everything appeared within spec...haha.

I pushed back saying that was ridiculous, and a few days later they offered to replace the shelter at the end of the season if I sent it back, but no guarantee that the replacement wouldn't also be a POS....

Not really sure what to do at this point... I've repaired/jerry-rigged most of the issues, and don't exactly have a ton of faith in their QC going forward.

Thoughts?

Offline jrjach75

• Team IceShanty Addict
Re: Otter Quality Beyond Terrible...
« Reply #1 on: Mar 03, 2023, 04:16 PM »
Man, I almost bought one last season, then started hearing about zipper issues. Now, you aren't the first I've seen with these sewing and window problems. Guessing during the pandemic they had to switch manufacturers in China or something. I think their reputation in the past was valid, maybe not so much any more.

If it were me, I'd take them up on that offer for the replacement, and just resell it as a new in the box shelter. If you lose any $$$ just think of it as money paid to rent the original one for the season. There are still a lot of "Otter Army" guys out there who would be happy to buy it from you.

Offline ian_padron

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2 on: Mar 03, 2023, 04:23 PM »
Man, I almost bought one last season, then started hearing about zipper issues. Now, you aren't the first I've seen with these sewing and window problems. Guessing during the pandemic they had to switch manufacturers in China or something. I think their reputation in the past was valid, maybe not so much any more.

If it were me, I'd take them up on that offer for the replacement, and just resell it as a new in the box shelter. If you lose any $$$ just think of it as money paid to rent the original one for the season. There are still a lot of "Otter Army" guys out there who would be happy to buy it from you.

I think that's a good idea and the route I'll likely go, thanks man.

Offline jrjach75

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #3 on: Mar 03, 2023, 04:29 PM »
I think that's a good idea and the route I'll likely go, thanks man.

I went back and forth with them on a seat problem with my Hideout too. 100% bad parts, couldn't believe they were even questioning it after seeing the photos I sent. They did end up sending me some parts to make it right, but those parts still weren't what I'd expect for a shelter costing as much as it did. Here I thought I was upgrading, and was shopping again for a new flipover the next season.

Offline Splattypus

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Mar 03, 2023, 07:10 PM »
Are they maybe focusing on function over form? Yeah, from those pictures is looks rough as heck, but if it's still working as it should and they're not concerned, it maybe says that their priorities aren't on the details as long as the result is the same.

With that said, for the price of otter products, I'd absolutely expect better finishing touches, regardless of how effective they are. Nothing with the otter brand on it is cheap, if you're going to sell for top price, you have to deliver top quality.in any event, I've been typically drawn more towards Eskimo as it appeals to me aesthetically more than other brands. But I haven't made any purchases of consequence from them either. It's really kind of a shame there's basically only a brands for ice houses and the majority of other ice fishing gear
A bad day of fishing is still better than a good day at work.

Offline Buckshots

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5 on: Mar 03, 2023, 08:49 PM »
I had major issues with my x-over cabin. Bought it the first year it came out. Major canvas issues. They’d send a new one and it still had flaws. Returned it and was sent another. Finally we decided this whole batch was crap and they decided to send me a new replacement canvas the following fall when a new batch arrives. The third canvas was much better and I was happy.

I learned a couple things from the experience. Quality control is a big fat zero. All ice shacks are made in China. Any ice shack is only as good as the warranty. A lot of it is cheaply made stuff. What matters is the warranty and how a company handles it that makes the company survive.

Sounds to me like they’re trying to make it right. Take the replacement. What more could you possibly want? They can’t inspect every item that comes in on the container. If the replacement is crap, they’ll offer up another. They will make it right as long as it’s a warranty issue. All companies sell shacks knowing that they have quality issues. Their fingers are crossed that most people just deal with it and never use the warranty. Made in China + post covid. What do you expect?

Offline Buckshots

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #6 on: Mar 03, 2023, 08:57 PM »
Are they maybe focusing on function over form? Yeah, from those pictures is looks rough as heck, but if it's still working as it should and they're not concerned, it maybe says that their priorities aren't on the details as long as the result is the same.

With that said, for the price of otter products, I'd absolutely expect better finishing touches, regardless of how effective they are. Nothing with the otter brand on it is cheap, if you're going to sell for top price, you have to deliver top quality.in any event, I've been typically drawn more towards Eskimo as it appeals to me aesthetically more than other brands. But I haven't made any purchases of consequence from them either. It's really kind of a shame there's basically only a brands for ice houses and the majority of other ice fishing gear
Have you looked at ice shack prices/msrp lately? Nothing on the Clam brand is cheap either. IMO Otters are now cheaper than Clams. The Clam X2 is about the same size as the Otter cabin and cost way more. Even compared to the swivel seat pro model. The market has gone nuts. Anyone who pays MSRP for an ice shack is getting screwed over big time. Bought my cabin x-over brand new in November the first season the x overs came out and paid 529 for it.

Offline ian_padron

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #7 on: Mar 03, 2023, 10:05 PM »
I had major issues with my x-over cabin. Bought it the first year it came out. Major canvas issues. They’d send a new one and it still had flaws. Returned it and was sent another. Finally we decided this whole batch was crap and they decided to send me a new replacement canvas the following fall when a new batch arrives. The third canvas was much better and I was happy.

I learned a couple things from the experience. Quality control is a big fat zero. All ice shacks are made in China. Any ice shack is only as good as the warranty. A lot of it is cheaply made stuff. What matters is the warranty and how a company handles it that makes the company survive.

Sounds to me like they’re trying to make it right. Take the replacement. What more could you possibly want? They can’t inspect every item that comes in on the container. If the replacement is crap, they’ll offer up another. They will make it right as long as it’s a warranty issue. All companies sell shacks knowing that they have quality issues. Their fingers are crossed that most people just deal with it and never use the warranty. Made in China + post covid. What do you expect?

I guess I've been spoiled with the majority of my big gear purchases being in the high-end backcountry hunt and ski realms, where quality control is unmatched. The attention to detail on a pack, tent, rifle etc. is mind blowing.

This shelter cost about the same and was literally falling apart at the seams straight out of the box.

I think it's absurd to play mail tag just to find 1 shelter that's good enough... you're right though, what else can a guy expect from a product Made in China.

Heck, I'd gladly pay 2x as much for a Made in America shelter that was put together correctly.

Offline ian_padron

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #8 on: Mar 03, 2023, 10:06 PM »
I went back and forth with them on a seat problem with my Hideout too. 100% bad parts, couldn't believe they were even questioning it after seeing the photos I sent. They did end up sending me some parts to make it right, but those parts still weren't what I'd expect for a shelter costing as much as it did. Here I thought I was upgrading, and was shopping again for a new flipover the next season.

That's really what it comes down to, if these shelters cost $150-200...sure I'll deal with it. But for $500, I'm sorry, this is entirely unacceptable.

Offline filetandrelease

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #9 on: Mar 04, 2023, 02:27 PM »
 Personally I find the 1 year warranty laughable as our season is only about 3 months long so the other 9 my shack is in time out , in all my years owning shacks I have been lucky both times I was taken care of and 1 was out of warranty by 2 years , many times it’s how you present your problem IMO
 Take the replacement , I hope it works out for you
 I have noticed some differences from pre Covid and post products along with the prices 😉

Offline Buckshots

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #10 on: Mar 04, 2023, 09:20 PM »
Personally I find the 1 year warranty laughable as our season is only about 3 months long so the other 9 my shack is in time out , in all my years owning shacks I have been lucky both times I was taken care of and 1 was out of warranty by 2 years , many times it’s how you present your problem IMO
 Take the replacement , I hope it works out for you
 I have noticed some differences from pre Covid and post products along with the prices 😉
I agree. One year warranty is pretty standard on ice shelters. Like I said, a product is only as good as its warranty. For what they cost, yes the warranty is super lame. The manufacturers know this though. They will bend over backwards to make you happy if it’s within warranty. As soon as it’s up, you are SOL.

Offline esox_xtm

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • It's Showtime!
« Reply #11 on: Mar 05, 2023, 11:16 AM »
Replacement at end of season will likely be some sort of return. Either from an individual (like you) or some retail joint that doesn't/can't carry excess inventory. I have purchased a number of Eskimo items that were either returned or previous floor demos that were "as new". Still could be a crap shoot. Literally.
To fish or not to fish? That's a stupid question!

“Imagination is the only weapon in the war against reality.”― Lewis Carroll

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.