Author Topic: Auger wobble with Clam plate  (Read 2036 times)

Offline SirCranksalot

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Auger wobble with Clam plate
« on: Feb 21, 2023, 06:05 PM »
My Mora auger wobbles quite a bit which sometimes seem to cause the drill to stall. There is a fair amount of 'play' on the shaft of the Clam plate. I guess there is some damage or wear on the bearing or bushing of the Clam. I don't see how to fix this except maybe buying a new bearing and replacing. I don't know if I can, in fact, buy one---none I see listed on their site----and to replace might be quite a challenge. Any suggestions? TIA
Keep yer stick on the ice!

Offline KLIKBANGTHUD

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: Auger wobble with Clam plate
« Reply #1 on: Feb 21, 2023, 09:52 PM »
I am running the Clam plate with a Mora auger (twin blade) also. I have both a 6" and an 8". With the 6, I ran it straight off the Clam plate as it came out of the box with no wobble at all. This year I stepped up to the 8" and added on the Clam gear reduction drive as well as an extension to the auger shaft. Slower cut, but bigger hole and longer run time on the batteries. I am using the 1000+ inch pound Ridgid drill and 4amp hour batteries. Easily cuts 400+ inches with the 8" auger on a charge. Still no wobble on my end.

I also tried an Eskimo auger in the past. Not sure the name but I believe it was an 8" and it had the scoop style blades. Problem though was it had no piercer point to help keep it centered, so it would bounce around dangerously under power. Total fail.

Have you tried running your setup at different speeds? Mine is always on the slower speed higher torque setting on my drill. Maybe pull the drive axle off of your plate and make sure it is straight, as well as checking for any chance of a bent auger shaft. If it is bent, Clam has replacements, but if you have to replace it, consider stepping up to the gear reduction unit. It will allow up to a 10" auger no problem should you decide to upgrade over time. And if you want to stay with a 6" you could probably run it in the higher gear on your drill for blazing fast cuts. 

Offline hardwater diehard

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #2 on: Feb 22, 2023, 10:16 AM »
Give a man a fish he eats for a day .Teach a man to ice fish he has an obsession for a lifetime

Offline SirCranksalot

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Feb 23, 2023, 07:15 AM »
Thx guys. I'm pretty sure the bearing is the prob. There is quite a bit of ‘play’ when I grip the auger shaft with 1 hand, the handles on the plate with the other hand, and rock it back and forth

Thx for the links. I sent an e-mail to Clam with a couple of questions. Those links won't let me order from Canada even though it says 'state or province' Maybe I can with another method.  Once I get the part it looks easy to replace-----4 bolts, phillips screwdriver from top of plate.
Keep yer stick on the ice!

Offline hardwater diehard

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #4 on: Feb 23, 2023, 07:49 AM »
Thx guys. I'm pretty sure the bearing is the prob. There is quite a bit of ‘play’ when I grip the auger shaft with 1 hand, the handles on the plate with the other hand, and rock it back and forth

Thx for the links. I sent an e-mail to Clam with a couple of questions. Those links won't let me order from Canada even though it says 'state or province' Maybe I can with another method.  Once I get the part it looks easy to replace-----4 bolts, phillips screwdriver from top of plate.

A local auto parts store and/or a small engine repair shop may have a bearing and/or bushing for your dilemma..especially if you can get a number off it .
Give a man a fish he eats for a day .Teach a man to ice fish he has an obsession for a lifetime

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.