Author Topic: Sled Pulling Harness  (Read 3800 times)

Offline MumbleSEED

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • "If you plant corn you get corn!"
Sled Pulling Harness
« on: Dec 31, 2022, 10:22 AM »
Just started using the deer drag method and the single shoulder just ain’t cutting it.

I’ve been looking at all the different types of harnesses clam, Eagle claw, shappell, Amazon. etc.

I’m looking for hands on use.  I go about 250 and need it to fit over my outer gear at least 55-60 inches.  I am only seeing the clam with that size range. 

Any input including quality or size would be appreciated.
If only God would come down in the form of a man and explain everything to us.

Offline Ronnie D

• Team IceShanty Addict
Re: Sled Pulling Harness
« Reply #1 on: Dec 31, 2022, 10:53 AM »
I used to use the same safety harness that i wore in my treestand.
Spreads the weight out over the upper body & way more comfortable than a rope or waist drag

Offline esox_xtm

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • It's Showtime!
« Reply #2 on: Dec 31, 2022, 10:53 AM »
Here's the easiest, cheapest, best harness for sled pulling. Get about 12 feet or so of 2 inch wide nylon strap. A piece from an old boat winch works well and may be your favorite price. Double over and secure the two ends and put a snap hook/carabiner on it. Clip the hook to your sled, step inside the loop, bring the end up over your head leaving your arms outside. Instant harness! You will benefit from adding a small strap or rope that secures the two sides together and comes across your chest area. This takes the pressure off your neck/shoulders and puts it lower where your power is.

Here's what it looks like:

Close up of the quick n dirty connection end. It's been just like this for at least a dozen years...

Putting it on, Step One.

All hooked up!

This is easy in, easy out. Also give the option for two people to pull by hand (helpful when going up steep embankments). Or can loop/tie to a 4 wheeler or sled. Plus it's a dedicated item. I never have to look for a deer drag/tree stand harness because I left it on the sled.
To fish or not to fish? That's a stupid question!

“Imagination is the only weapon in the war against reality.”― Lewis Carroll

Offline Iceassin

• Team IceShantyholic
  • The secret to fishing...fish where the fish are.
« Reply #3 on: Dec 31, 2022, 11:09 AM »
I use my deer hunting, tree stand harness!  Works perfectly!

Yup.
"Si quaeris peninsulam amoenam circumspice."

Offline grababrewski

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #4 on: Dec 31, 2022, 12:08 PM »
https://www.shoptackleshack.com/shappell-shelter-and-sled-pulling-harness.html  Use code : SHANTY

I just bought one, haven't been able to try it out but it looks like it should work well.

Offline MumbleSEED

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #5 on: Dec 31, 2022, 12:11 PM »
https://www.shoptackleshack.com/shappell-shelter-and-sled-pulling-harness.html  Use code : SHANTY

I just bought one, haven't been able to try it out but it looks like it should work well.

How’s its size?  I looked at that and like to give to tackleshack!  Just couldn’t find info on size.

Offline MumbleSEED

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #6 on: Dec 31, 2022, 12:13 PM »
Esox thanks for and pics I’m messing with nylon strap and rope now see how it feels.

Offline esox_xtm

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • It's Showtime!
« Reply #7 on: Dec 31, 2022, 04:34 PM »
Esox thanks for and pics I’m messing with nylon strap and rope now see how it feels.

Yep! I've tried 'splainin this before but it's difficult to imagine without seeing. My first iteration was all rope. Kind of a proof of concept. Found rope digs in to the shoulders a bit. Not too bad through lots of clothes. Then I busted a boat winch strap so I repurposed that. Much more comfortable. And the chest strap/rope really helps redistribute the load to easier locations.
To fish or not to fish? That's a stupid question!

“Imagination is the only weapon in the war against reality.”― Lewis Carroll

Offline grababrewski

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #8 on: Dec 31, 2022, 05:29 PM »

How’s its size?  I looked at that and like to give to tackleshack!  Just couldn’t find info on size.
I wear an XL jacket and just tried the harness over a jacket. There's plenty of room for adjustment. It came with two 7.5 foot long straps with carabiners on both ends. I think it will work well.

Offline slipperybob

• Team IceShantyholic
  • LX5 or die...maybe extra battery.
« Reply #9 on: Dec 31, 2022, 10:44 PM »
I used my deer pulling harness and it did okay. 

Then I got an exercise sled pulling harness and that did a much better job though.  In part for the larger sized shoulder straps and waist straps it does a far better job of pressure distribution.  It's made to pull like a 500 lbs.  It is more weight but the ease of pulling a fully weighted sled for long distance walk is worth it.  Only thing that would help me more is to get some trekking poles or a set of cross country ski poles.
For more information read my MN nice journal

Offline meandcuznalfy

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #10 on: Jan 01, 2023, 05:27 PM »
Or, you could get a big strong healthy teenager to pull it for you.  If you could find one that doesn't have his eyes glued to a video game!  LOL

Lol, that works great, gonna miss mine.

Offline MumbleSEED

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #11 on: Jan 01, 2023, 06:09 PM »
Mine are all too young and scrawny for now.  I’ll be ready for that day.

Offline kondan

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #12 on: Jan 20, 2023, 08:29 AM »
I've been using the Clam one for three years now. Works great and have had no problems. I'm about 220 and the harness still has some more room for adjustment.

Offline tkhuntsman

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #13 on: Jan 30, 2023, 01:36 AM »
I'm roughly the same size 6' 270 lbs and I have used the eagle claw harness it fits well (clam didn't) and it distributes the weight well once you get it fitted. I did switch out the cheapo clips for stainless heavy duty ones at the hardware store ($4 a peace). I also added a pvc handle about butt high for more uphill leverage just tied in with climbing rope. All told it's comfortable cheap and serves it's purpose well when I can't pull the sled with the ATV (thin ice, or slush).

Offline Sylvanboat

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #14 on: Jan 30, 2023, 11:25 AM »
Another option is a harness for golfers who carry their clubs. This is what I use.  It fits around both shoulders and has a front strap to keep the shoulder straps from slipping down. It’s plenty big and fits over my coveralls fine.

Offline filetandrelease

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #15 on: Feb 17, 2023, 12:54 PM »

I bought a cheap arz sled pulling harness
 Works just fine , it does make pulling much easier

Offline hardwater diehard

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
Give a man a fish he eats for a day .Teach a man to ice fish he has an obsession for a lifetime

Offline ian_padron

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #17 on: Mar 03, 2023, 12:32 PM »
It ain't cheap but a harness/yoke from a hunting pack is the only method I've found that's actually comfortable.

I run a 20 foot section of rope with a carabiner, clip that onto the waist belt. Good to go.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.