Montana > Ice Fishing Montana

CANCELLED - March 23 meeting re new Georgetown Lake kokanee restrictions

<< < (4/4)

coldcreekchris:
This is just my 2 cents on the G Town Salmon. Keep in my mind these are estimations. In 3 trips i caught roughly 200  salmon. 80 60 and 40. I beleive i kept 33 25 and 20(new limit). i would say the senior class were very sparse.Maybe 1 out of ten. But the junior class was also sparse, 2 to 3 out of ten.. 6 out of ten were in that 6 to 7 inch range. Last year new anglers flock to the area i have fished for a couple decades, in relative solitude, in reponse to live facebook feeds of an individual catching literally hundreds upon hundfreds a day. I am not here to argue or judge, years ago it was not uncommon for me to keep 200 over a long weekend.. It is what is it. I wonder if the new stress of keeping literally a thousands of more fish in the area i fish is the reason why the senior and junior classes are sparser by percentage that i  recall ever seeing.Or maybe it doesn't? Once again..just my 2 cents. I am not opposed to the limit. Salmon are on a 4 year cycle, give it a try and maybe lift the limit in a year or so. I say give it 2 years. raise the limit to 40 if things go good. Also, i don't mean to scare you Ben but the same facebook fishing star posted a full cooler of crappie a  couple weeks ago. He didn't say the spot tho.

oldschoolben:

--- Quote from: coldcreekchris on Mar 21, 2022, 12:08 PM ---This is just my 2 cents on the G Town Salmon. Keep in my mind these are estimations. In 3 trips i caught roughly 200  salmon. 80 60 and 40. I beleive i kept 33 25 and 20(new limit). i would say the senior class were very sparse.Maybe 1 out of ten. But the junior class was also sparse, 2 to 3 out of ten.. 6 out of ten were in that 6 to 7 inch range. Last year new anglers flock to the area i have fished for a couple decades, in relative solitude, in reponse to live facebook feeds of an individual catching literally hundreds upon hundfreds a day. I am not here to argue or judge, years ago it was not uncommon for me to keep 200 over a long weekend.. It is what is it. I wonder if the new stress of keeping literally a thousands of more fish in the area i fish is the reason why the senior and junior classes are sparser by percentage that i  recall ever seeing.Or maybe it doesn't? Once again..just my 2 cents. I am not opposed to the limit. Salmon are on a 4 year cycle, give it a try and maybe lift the limit in a year or so. I say give it 2 years. raise the limit to 40 if things go good. Also, i don't mean to scare you Ben but the same facebook fishing star posted a full cooler of crappie a  couple weeks ago. He didn't say the spot tho.

--- End quote ---
I would like to see the pics of the crappie

FishingCowboy:
for my 2 cents a subject not exposed is the explosion of new fishermen (families) on the lake over the last 3 years. What once was a location for few because of the drive time and available equipment has become a circus. In the last 3-4 years the pandemic has done some changes to the local areas. More population, more social media exposure and light weight gear (pop ups and electric augers). If the newcomers had to sit on a bucket in 40 mph wind after hand drilling 2 feet of ice, they wouldn't do it again. Additionally, with the aid of gas, propane or electric guys can pothole all over the place, just because they weren't catching fish in a particular location. For those who hand drilled their holes, how many times did you move? Things do change and thing don't last. I have had my glory days of 200+ over a 3 day stay, but none of the fish went to waste (doesn't matter they are going to die at the end of the spawning season.... they would have had a chance to spawn). How many of the fish caught in today's world are actually consumed? They sit in the freezer until they get freezer burnt and tossed out would be my guess. Should there be a limit? It doesn't hurt my feelings if there was a limit. 20 salmon a day isn't bad... Who says you can't keep on catching throughout the day, just let them go....

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version