The ice fishing VT boards are sponsored by:

Author Topic: White Perch  (Read 15024 times)

Offline stick eyes

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: White Perch
« Reply #30 on: Mar 04, 2022, 03:57 PM »
I was out there today also. Drove on from the point...just as the game warden was unloading his snow machine . Didn't have much luck. Lots of ice and easy to drive around as the snow cover is not that much...just a few small drifts . And of coarse the wind was blowing .

Offline Bob G.

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #31 on: Mar 04, 2022, 05:11 PM »
I plan on going out at Killkare tomorrow. I don’t know anyone here, I have a camo jet sled with a camo cover and will be walking. If you see me, feel free to say hi.

Offline Vtperchchaser

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #32 on: Mar 04, 2022, 05:32 PM »
There were several people on killkare side straight out from the channel the ferry uses. Fishing 50+ fow. I tried it there as well and just found small yellows and some large minnows. Soon the whites will come into the bay. There’s so many minnows. Every yellow I caught even the 5” ones had minnows in their mouths. Good luck

Offline Bob G.

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #33 on: Mar 05, 2022, 01:20 PM »
Fished until 12:30pm out of Killkare today. Only caught yellow perch, most at 40’.

Saw a lot of activity by Mosquito Island. I didn’t walk over to drill some holes to see what was going on!  :o

Offline bootstrap

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #34 on: Mar 05, 2022, 01:21 PM »
the warm and rain should turn everything on.

Offline Light liner

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Rather be judged by 12 then carried by 6.
« Reply #35 on: Mar 05, 2022, 04:44 PM »
Same here only yellows, biggest ones were in 25-30’ fow.
Champlain
Memphremagog

Offline Light liner

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #36 on: Mar 07, 2022, 08:34 AM »
We fished the bay yesterday, between 2 of us we caught 7 white perch mixed in with the yellows.
That’s 7 more than the day before.
Champlain
Memphremagog

Offline mudchuck

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #37 on: Mar 07, 2022, 08:50 AM »
I fished there Saturday, no whites, but 8 really decent yellows, 1 was 14" the other 7 were bigger than 10", numerous 9" & smaller, of which I kept about a dozen 9" to take home to clean. 1/4 pail of select yellows all-in-all.
Beautiful day, saw a guy way out by the reef off of Ball Island, plus plenty of others in what looked like a picket line all the way across from Georgia Rec to Hathaway, they all moved around after a while.
Not heard of any whites taken except what is posted here...nothing on social sites either...

Lost a monster pike just under the ice, had a little dink yellow hit a minnow was reeling it in from 40FOW, when about 10' under ice a big red streak showed up on my finder and smashed that little perch i was reeling in.
We had a little tug-o-war fight with my 24UL spooled with 3# line and saw it swim past my hole a couple times, looked about 32-36" and as I got it turned to come thru the hole the line snapped and I wasn't able to get it vertical enough to reach down thru hole to grab it.
Oh well, that's fishing for ya...was a rush while it lasted...

Offline Bob G.

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #38 on: Mar 07, 2022, 10:26 AM »
Mudchuck,

Nice report, to bad you didn’t get the pike!

Going to try to get out a couple times this week.

Offline FishinRookie

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #39 on: Mar 07, 2022, 03:26 PM »
Fished around Killkare today . Only got one white mixed in with yellows. Did well with yellows, over a bucket of 8" plus. Fished the opened holes, made it easy. Pay attention when walking as I saw a alot of holes over 18" in diameter.

Offline Light liner

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #40 on: Mar 07, 2022, 05:46 PM »
Yup holes are getting bigger, they look like they’re ready to settle down
Champlain
Memphremagog

Offline RobLyube

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #41 on: Mar 08, 2022, 10:01 AM »
I'm sure the ice is still good, but how's the shoreline look around killkare and hathaway after the warm weather and rain we got over the weekend? If anyone's been out since then.

Offline stick eyes

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #42 on: Mar 08, 2022, 04:53 PM »
Don't know about the conditions at the point but I was at Georgia beach today and open water holes at the bottom of the ramp. Looked like you still could get on if you walked along the shore headed north . Didn't fish with the wind we had

Offline mudchuck

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #43 on: Mar 09, 2022, 08:47 AM »
Don't know about the conditions at the point but I was at Georgia beach today and open water holes at the bottom of the ramp. Looked like you still could get on if you walked along the shore headed north . Didn't fish with the wind we had

Pretty much the same at VE & KillKAre, some ponded water with open holes at base of ramps, but can find ways to walk on around them but certainly not good for those on wheels.

Offline Bob G.

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #44 on: Mar 09, 2022, 02:51 PM »
Fished out of Killkare today. Only caught yellow perch. Will be back there tomorrow.

Roughly measured 13” of ice.

Offline Bob G.

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #45 on: Mar 10, 2022, 04:18 PM »
Fished out of Killkare again this morning. Got a little late start, friend came up from Moretown and had some work stuff to do first. Didn’t leave my house until 8am.

Started at 25 to 30 feet and had little to no bites. Yesterday was one after the other at that depth. Moved around and finally got into yellow perch around Hathaway Point.

Did not get any white perch. Did talk to a gentleman that claimed that guys on 4 wheelers that were by Ball Island were catching white perch. He also said that the bite was slow and didn’t stay long. Could see the 4 wheelers the 2 miles to Ball Island and they were still there in the afternoon when we left.

Contemplating fishing at Ball Island tomorrow. Long walk if someone is yanking my chain. Decisions decisions!  :)

Offline mudchuck

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #46 on: Mar 11, 2022, 05:56 AM »
Fished yesterday from 11:30 until 4:30 at GISP, 50FOW, ran traps & jigged, <half pail 9-10" yellows, just as many throwbacks, slow, used minnows & medium shiners on traps, only 1 perch on traps.

Guys on wheels used launch and went all the way across to eagle mountain then roamed some, others walked out to trench near savage & fish bladder.
Others were way over north near NW corner reef of savage, looked like they were doing good for perch.

No whites over on this side for me either...try other side this afternoon after work...

Was a beautiful day on the ice, beats being stuck in an office like I am as I type this now...

Offline Bob G.

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #47 on: Mar 11, 2022, 02:03 PM »
Fished out of Killkare until 10:30 or so this morning. No white perch but the yellow perch bite was good. Kept some for freezer and threw a ton back. Also caught my best yellow perch. 12”, 1lb 5oz.

https://postimg.cc/0b4wwbgV

Offline sonny88

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #48 on: Mar 11, 2022, 04:03 PM »
I fished the west side of the Inland Sea today, no whites but lots of yellows and the ice is still fine.

Offline FishinRookie

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #49 on: Mar 11, 2022, 06:48 PM »
That was a nice perch Bob. Nice to meet you today, I stayed until about 2pm and left with all I needed and then some.

Offline ISLAND STORM

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #50 on: Mar 11, 2022, 06:55 PM »
Nice perch Bob G!!!
My Biggest worry is that when I'm dead and gone, my wife will sell my fishing gear for what I said I paid for it.

Tight lines and be safe.

Offline JRK22.250

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #51 on: Mar 11, 2022, 07:09 PM »
fished out off burtons for a while in 40 fow this afternoon got some nice yellows. most of the yellows puking up tons of alewifes. no sign of whites yet. talked to a couple guys that got some off of ball island today. ramp is deteriorating quickly   

Offline Bob G.

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #52 on: Mar 11, 2022, 10:05 PM »
That was a nice perch Bob. Nice to meet you today, I stayed until about 2pm and left with all I needed and then some.

Nice to meet you too. Todays bite was way better than yesterday. Hoping for another day fishing before the next warm spell. Might go out on Monday.

Offline JFT81C

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #53 on: Mar 12, 2022, 09:05 PM »
 Just getting around to posting this. Wed March 9th I was off Hathaway Point in line with the green can 22 FOW got a bucket and half of whites between 12:45 and 3:00.  Looks like the next trip may be in a boat though. Was anyone out there today?

Offline Light liner

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #54 on: Mar 14, 2022, 07:17 AM »
Doesn’t look like I’m going to get there, but the word is people are catching them.
Champlain
Memphremagog

Offline NHHARDWATER

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • -Aaron-
« Reply #55 on: Mar 14, 2022, 09:29 AM »
regardless of this weeks weather, my buddy and I plan on riding up the Hathaway pt on Saturday. Maybe we will get on, maybe not. we'll plank it if we can. Hopefully we can put on a hunt for them.
Chasing Ice

Offline sonny88

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #56 on: Mar 14, 2022, 10:15 AM »
It's suppose to be 65 degrees on Thursday, be careful.

Offline Bob G.

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #57 on: Mar 15, 2022, 12:51 PM »
The white perch bite was on yesterday at Hathaway Point but I didn’t realize it until I got done fishing for yellows and at my truck to go home.

Fished there this morning and brought a bucket of white perch home (32) and just got done filleting them. Might go again tomorrow but won’t keep as many. Took me a smidge over 2 hours to clean them.

Fished in 19’, perch were anywhere from near the bottom to 2 to 3 off of the bottom. There were a ton of holes from yesterday, didn’t even drill a hole.

Offline NHHARDWATER

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • -Aaron-
« Reply #58 on: Mar 15, 2022, 02:33 PM »
Thanks for the report Bob!! that's the good news!!
How was the shoreline and ice thickness?
Chasing Ice

Offline Bob G.

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #59 on: Mar 15, 2022, 03:40 PM »
Still a foot of ice or more. The shoreline at the ramp was ok today but starting to get a little sketchy. The beach was better a few days ago and the 4 wheelers were using that area to access the lake. There was a side by side there fishing today so they could get there catch back to the truck!

There was a lot of guys today filling buckets, storage bins, coolers, etc today. I left before 10, a bucket was enough for me to fillet.

Hope the ice and shoreline hold up for you. Cough cough, tomorrow might be better than this weekend!  :)

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.