New York Ice Fishing sponsored by

Author Topic: Eastern silver/hunts/blue nose minnows  (Read 706 times)

Offline Borealis82

• IceShanty Rookie
  • A bad day of ice fishing is like a sore peter...
Eastern silver/hunts/blue nose minnows
« on: Jan 25, 2022, 08:54 AM »
Hey all, wanting to see if the bait shops up there regularly carry the eastern silvers or hunts or even seen them called blue nose. We usually get them in northern PA only in winter. But the bait shops have yet to get any this year. If they are available could you post a phone number for the shop so I could contact them?  Thanks!!

Offline Adironzach

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Certified Doe Dragger
Re: Eastern silver/hunts/blue nose minnows
« Reply #1 on: Jan 25, 2022, 08:57 AM »
I asked my local bait shop about hunts on Friday, and was told not to expect any this year. I guess they didnt migrate as far upstream as they normally do so they never entered the fishing grounds to catch them. Not sure the validity of the statement but it doesnt seem like we will have a lot of hunts available to us.

Offline Borealis82

• IceShanty Rookie
  • A bad day of ice fishing is like a sore peter...
« Reply #2 on: Jan 25, 2022, 09:14 AM »
 :'( This makes me sad. They are so much nicer and heartier than the emeralds. Thank you for the info

Offline hardwaterhonkey

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #3 on: Jan 25, 2022, 11:10 AM »
was just a thread started about this few days ago  :tipup:

Offline EDaniels

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #4 on: Jan 28, 2022, 12:35 PM »
Wayner's in Chenango Forks had some and he ordered more I can't remember when he said they where going to be there.

Offline trapper2000

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #5 on: Jan 28, 2022, 01:25 PM »
they  don't  still net wild  minnows  do they????  i think they are all farm raised  now

Offline EDaniels

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #6 on: Jan 28, 2022, 02:23 PM »
they  don't  still net wild  minnows  do they????  i think they are all farm raised  now

If your asking about Wayner's I know he gets them from a dealer.

Offline trapper2000

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #7 on: Jan 28, 2022, 02:28 PM »
i'm asking about all bait shops  i don't think  wild  minnows  can  be sold  anymore i think they  have to  be farm raised and  certified don't they????

Offline BeenPerchin315

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Yes. There will be ice and I will fish it.
« Reply #8 on: Jan 28, 2022, 02:30 PM »
i'm asking about all bait shops  i don't think  wild  minnows  can  be sold  anymore i think they  have to  be farm raised and  certified don't they????
Was told can net and sell but it has to be used on that body of water only and must have receipt that says uncertified bait
Disclaimer:
I make statements based on my experiences in the location I fished only. Check ice conditions for yourself.
Stay safe. Tight lines.

Offline trapper2000

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #9 on: Jan 28, 2022, 02:48 PM »
Was told can net and sell but it has to be used on that body of water only and must have receipt that says uncertified bait

i'll ask mike    and  i can ask steve  at  midway  he  raises   shinners  and  fat heads ...i  know you  can  catch and  fish  in  the same  body of  water   but i think thats  why  mcintyres in  hair  haven   stopped the  bait  business

Offline pierce1308

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #10 on: Jan 28, 2022, 03:07 PM »
Most bait shops now a days get them from out of state dealers, some different people I know that sell minnows locally, one depending on the year nets his minnows from the lake then sells them but tells his customers they are only technically legal for that lake since they aren't certified, another one nets his minnows also from ponds and strems creeks locally sends the alloted amount to the state to test then that allows him to sell them with bait slip as certified bait to use wherever your fishing instate or to other baitshops

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.