• IceShanty Rookie
Re: Heater
« Reply #30 on: Jan 24, 2022, 08:04 PM »
little buddy works for me

Offline greensider

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #31 on: Jan 25, 2022, 05:38 AM »
Ours will get plenty of off season use camping and in my hunting blind  we also ordered the little kerosene heater for unheated Florida room and camping

Offline zcm_82

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #32 on: Jan 25, 2022, 05:57 AM »
Trangia alcohol burner with 91% rubbing alcohol most of the time.

If it's super cold out, I'll go hobo style and use a small coffee can full of alcohol with a roll of toilet paper in it for a wick.

Offline hardwater diehard

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #33 on: Jan 25, 2022, 08:09 AM »
Raquettedacker I like the tin idea to reflect the heat up ..may incorporate that on my buddy system Thinking of some magnets and a cookie sheet .
Give a man a fish he eats for a day .Teach a man to ice fish he has an obsession for a lifetime

Offline greensider

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #34 on: Jan 25, 2022, 09:01 AM »
This is the kerosene heater I am getting just to have for other uses but might try it out ice fishing as well you can put a pot on top for cooking

Offline 62&done

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #35 on: Jan 25, 2022, 07:32 PM »
This is the kerosene heater I am getting just to have for other uses but might try it out ice fishing as well you can put a pot on top for cooking

Good luck with your heater but I think your going to be disapointed as that kerosene will probably choke you to death inside a shanty

Offline greensider

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #36 on: Jan 25, 2022, 07:38 PM »
I run them in basement occasionally and if set right there is no smell or fumes but as said I got a new buddy heater we got this for camping and our Florida room

Offline regulator

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #37 on: Jan 26, 2022, 04:15 AM »
Got this for Christmas and have been using it this year in my Otter Cabin hub. Only runs on a regular tank so have to lug the 20 pounder. Nice in that it doesn't take up too much space, but even on low I need to have a couple windows open.

Offline trapper2000

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #38 on: Jan 26, 2022, 04:46 PM »
i remember those  old  coleman  kerosene heaters   ....  i remember  they killed people and  finally where taken off the  market turned  my eyes  red and   choked  me

Offline Greenhornet73

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #39 on: Jan 27, 2022, 10:12 PM »
I have a 1.5 man flip over shanty and use a Coleman catalytic heater, pretty inexpensive and extremely frugal on propane. One canister will last a day and keeps me plenty warm unless it’s really bitter out and windy. I think it cost me $35 a few years ago on eBay.
I prefer a 2oz sinker for perch...when it hits 'em they won't feel a thing

Offline greensider

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #40 on: Jan 28, 2022, 04:37 AM »
Was out yesterday in my 2 man flip over ran the buddy on low was pretty damn warm in there had to keep two zippers open for air flow

Offline sebago2jigtima

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #41 on: Jan 28, 2022, 04:44 AM »
nice !
any fish  ;)

Offline greensider

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #42 on: Jan 28, 2022, 04:53 AM »
A few pannies and one big pickerel

Offline sebago2jigtima

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #43 on: Jan 28, 2022, 04:55 AM »
way togo greensider  :thumbsup:

Offline filetandrelease

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #44 on: Jan 28, 2022, 05:07 AM »

I use a sun flower in my 2 man ,
In my 1 man my radiant 5 heater bulb crapped out so I purchased a little buddy , nice heater but heats from the top down do to the angle , so it’s now a back up for my buddy which points the heat toward you
 Food for thought

Offline DR.SPECKLER

• Team IceShantyholic
  • find your own fish..
« Reply #45 on: Jan 28, 2022, 05:15 AM »
I use a sun flower in my 2 man ,
In my 1 man my radiant 5 heater bulb crapped out so I purchased a little buddy , nice heater but heats from the top down do to the angle , so it’s now a back up for my buddy which points the heat toward you
 Food for thought
don't remember where but a few guys are making replacement bulbs for the focus 5 death heater.lol

Offline filetandrelease

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #46 on: Jan 28, 2022, 05:21 AM »
don't remember where but a few guys are making replacement bulbs for the focus 5 death heater.lol
Thanks , the outfit  I had  can’t get the material to make them , it only put out 3500-5000and as you know you can direct the heat , I never needed 5000, as 3500was more than enough even on the coldest days , best heater I’ve ever owned

Offline DR.SPECKLER

• Team IceShantyholic
  • find your own fish..
« Reply #47 on: Jan 28, 2022, 05:26 AM »
Yeah think i saw it on walleye central maybe.post was from 2016 but saw mention that its just stainless steel screen.the focus 5 is way better a heater than any buddy heater.so easy to light,even outside in wind.

Offline filetandrelease

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #48 on: Jan 28, 2022, 05:42 AM »

I totally agree and will light soaking wet , can’t beat those death heaters 😁

Offline elrodalonzo

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #49 on: Jan 28, 2022, 06:13 AM »
Buddy heater for me.  I use a wheeler all the time so I have a 20lb and a long hose on it.  Mounted the tank on the back and it lasts me the entire season . Cost to refill about $9. These heaters will last a long time if you take care of them like anything else.

Offline tj_cubin

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #50 on: Jan 28, 2022, 06:48 AM »
I didn't know what kind of heater i have. I just looked up what a focus 5 was after reading your posts, and yeah, that's what i have! I got it from my uncle who go it from a coworker, no clue how many owners it had before that guy.

The igniter doesn't work on it and this past weekend the flame didn't change when i kicked it up to high but that might have been when my tank was about beat.

Someone on FB earlier this season as selling a whole setup that included one that looked brand new.

Offline DR.SPECKLER

• Team IceShantyholic
  • find your own fish..
« Reply #51 on: Jan 28, 2022, 07:07 AM »
I didn't know what kind of heater i have. I just looked up what a focus 5 was after reading your posts, and yeah, that's what i have! I got it from my uncle who go it from a coworker, no clue how many owners it had before that guy.

The igniter doesn't work on it and this past weekend the flame didn't change when i kicked it up to high but that might have been when my tank was about beat.

Someone on FB earlier this season as selling a whole setup that included one that looked brand new.
when my tank is getting low it doesnt turn on high either.thats how i tell my tank is low.

Offline tj_cubin

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #52 on: Jan 28, 2022, 07:45 AM »
when my tank is getting low it doesnt turn on high either.thats how i tell my tank is low.
I never run it on high in my 1 man flip over, but everything was freezing up on me that morning so i tried to kick it up on high and it didn't change at all. If i remember, that partial tank didn't last very long that morning, so that makes sense.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.