Author Topic: Electric bikes for ice travel  (Read 1361 times)

Offline BrianF

• Team IceShanty Addict
Electric bikes for ice travel
« on: Jan 22, 2022, 10:08 AM »
Anyone use one? Towing a small sled? How much snow is the limit with most bikes?

I am genuinely curious and would buy one if i could justify it performing for all but the heaviest of snow. Even snowmobiles and atvs have their limits when snow and slush are too much.

Offline Drifter_016

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
Re: Electric bikes for ice travel
« Reply #1 on: Jan 22, 2022, 10:55 AM »
Just remember in the cold battery life is much lower than when it's decent out.

Offline ran7ger

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Jan 22, 2022, 12:51 PM »
 a friend of mine has a fleet of ebikes with fat tires for his business.  he just picked up some chains for the tires, if i remember i'll try and post his feedback on this thread once he's had them out.

Offline RapShack

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Jan 22, 2022, 03:42 PM »
Call me crazy but I think one of those full size adult tricycles plus an electric motor kit has potential.  It has a place for storage and less chance of splitting open your dome on the ice.  Not as easy to transport though.
I'm a man, but I can change, If I have to, I guess.

Offline SPIN 1

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Jan 22, 2022, 03:43 PM »
You tube it   Genz on one few others   
More than 3 cars in my driveway when I get home ? Probably an intervention! I’m outta there!

Offline fishermantim

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5 on: Jan 22, 2022, 09:20 PM »
I like the trike idea, and maybe get tires and add studs (small screws driven from the inside of the tire) to the drive wheel(s) for traction.
Thought about chains, but they would interfere with brakes.

Just food for thought...
"I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy" - the Existential Blues

I am a legend in my own mind!

Offline grababrewski

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #6 on: Jan 22, 2022, 09:51 PM »
I'm interested in this too. I have a Himiway Cruiser (fat tire bike) I tried to ride in the snow once, up the street with ruts. I got scarred and went home.I'd like to ride on the ice.

They will hurt you though.

Offline grababrewski

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #7 on: Jan 22, 2022, 09:55 PM »
Bud (IFF) can  probably chime in on this, I remember watching him wipe out on Aurora.

Offline RapShack

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #8 on: Jan 22, 2022, 10:06 PM »
I'm interested in this too. I have a Himiway Cruiser (fat tire bike) I tried to ride in the snow once, up the street with ruts. I got scarred and went home.I'd like to ride on the ice.

Outriggers with skis or skates on the back?  Although it would probably be a bit more stable in the rear end just from pulling a sled full of stuff.

Weeeeeeee.  Although I bet the amount of joy you get from this setup is inversely proportionate to the depth of snow.
I'm a man, but I can change, If I have to, I guess.

Offline IFF

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #9 on: Jan 22, 2022, 10:42 PM »
Oh yeah had to remind me huh  ::) well lesson I learned was not to try climbing out of a frozen slush rut at a slight angle. You want to cross those head on. I hook onto a baby stroller. See a guy here had his drive tire raped with small chains between spoke’s leaving chain marks in the snow About 8 inches apart.  A trike would be the bomb  :thumbsup: :thumbsup:  one mistake I made was riding mine with chain style cleats on my boots, found it a lot better rideing with feet extended and sliding my feet for better balance.  And ware at least a bike helmet

Oh yeah and added a center stand. Made out of a crutch

Bud

Offline IFF

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #10 on: Jan 22, 2022, 10:45 PM »
Kick stands suck. Slower speeds a plus unless your in a hurry to be first to the accident   ;D
Bud

Offline CO_Dinky

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Rippin' Lips
« Reply #11 on: Jan 22, 2022, 11:50 PM »

They will hurt you though.

Dang Tom, take it easy!   :o  Oof!
Tight lines!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.