Author Topic: Wife called 911  (Read 2901 times)

Offline Ice Junkie 76

• Team IceShanty Regular
Wife called 911
« on: Jan 21, 2022, 07:27 PM »
So, I was fish by myself at the local lake on Thursday. My wife hates me fishing alone, but I promised her I would be fine. Around 4:30 I decided to give her a call. Not wanting to stop fishing I held the phone with my cheek as I kept jigging. Out of nowhere my phone slips out and is heading towards the hole. I yell OH crap as I dive to the ice to save my phone. Straight down the hole it went. Now what, I know she is headed straight to the lake cause in her mind I just fell thru the ice. I had nothing else to do but wait for her to show. I kept looking down the road, next thing I see is a cop, lights and sirens flying into the lake. He pulls up, jumps out and ask my name, I said my wife called you didn't she. I told him about the phone down the hole and he laughed. He asked if I wanted to call my wife I said no, I would wait till I got home for my ear beating. Now the wife and kids pull up freaking out. The cop told me good luck cause your going to need it. That was the end of that trip, they would not leave without me. Now it's all over the local fire and rescue Facebook page. In all seriousness, they were there within 5 minutes, it was awesome to see how quick they arrived to offer us crazy ice fisherman help.  If I was really in they would have got me out in plenty of time. Thanks to all you first responders that show up to help.

Offline Doeslayer

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: Wife called 911
« Reply #1 on: Jan 21, 2022, 07:32 PM »
Lol awesome... Ive lost 3 phones to the deep blue.... I feel your pain
Catch and release, into the grease!
"gotta be somebody needs some killin" ~ Major Payne

Offline DaleL57

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Jan 21, 2022, 07:36 PM »
I thought it was only my wife!

Offline greggill

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #3 on: Jan 21, 2022, 07:38 PM »
She's a keeper.

Offline nindo24

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Jan 21, 2022, 07:59 PM »
Good story
Keep Your Stick On The Ice!

Online rdhammah

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5 on: Jan 21, 2022, 08:04 PM »
Any time, i'm at the water, my phn is on a lanyard.

Offline taxi1

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #6 on: Jan 21, 2022, 08:24 PM »
Lol awesome... Ive lost 3 phones to the deep blue.... I feel your pain

I wonder how many cell phones are sitting at the bottom of lakes?  ;D
I live in the midwest now but have fond memories of fishing in New England as a kid.

Offline fishermantim

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #7 on: Jan 21, 2022, 08:33 PM »
It's comforting to know that the 1st responders came that quickly, and that you're wife knew what to do and where to send the help, even if it wasn't needed, but it could have all been avoided if you only stepped away from the hole.

I mean, knowing how often it happens, did it ever cross your mind that it might be your turn?
"I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy" - the Existential Blues

I am a legend in my own mind!

Offline Ice Junkie 76

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Jan 21, 2022, 08:51 PM »
I would have to quit fishing if I stepped away. LOL

Offline Ice Junkie 76

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9 on: Jan 21, 2022, 08:53 PM »
First phone lost in 25 years, not to bad in my opinion.

Offline IFF

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #10 on: Jan 21, 2022, 09:39 PM »
I’ve been lucky this year phone has only fallen out of my shirt pocket twice, because I didn’t zip it closed
Bud

Offline Coosangler

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #11 on: Jan 21, 2022, 10:23 PM »
Great story... Your lucky someone really cares...
I donated a phone down the hole about 3 weeks ago... Made me lol when it happened

Offline Remps17

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #12 on: Jan 22, 2022, 01:24 AM »
I put the truck through the ice last year and my 7 month pregnant wife had to pick me up. The things we put our wives through. Haha

Offline hunts2long

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #13 on: Jan 22, 2022, 05:42 AM »
Your story made me smile. The wife made me get a flip-phone last year to carry with me. We only get service out on the lake. I stopped ice fishing alone 2 years ago but I do carry it in the summer....h2l
Northville, NY

Offline Sylvanboat

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #14 on: Jan 22, 2022, 06:24 AM »
Any time, i'm at the water, my phn is on a lanyard.

X2 x2 x2. No excuses.

Offline Iceattic

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #15 on: Jan 22, 2022, 06:40 AM »
I with you. But what if it was true? At least she did the right think. My wife couldn't reach me , I was on the ice on the last days. So I'm fishing all of a sudden I hear someone calling my name? I turn and look there is my wife pulling herself out of the lake! She walked our and fell in! Thank God everything worked out.

Offline Raquettedacker

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #16 on: Jan 22, 2022, 06:44 AM »
Great story… ;D
Strangers stopping strangers just to shake there hand.
         The successful life were living has us feuding like the Hatfields and McCoys...
Pro Staff Member "Team Loser"

Offline ChrisL

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #17 on: Jan 22, 2022, 07:29 AM »
You may want to consider an Apple Watch with a built-in SIM card.  The service is not too expensive and it is strapped to you...

Offline Ice Junkie 76

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #18 on: Jan 22, 2022, 07:44 AM »
That had to be a long night at the house, iceattic. My wife would have sold all my crap after that experience.

Offline Startinout

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #19 on: Jan 22, 2022, 07:53 AM »
Ice junkie, are they stocking today?

Offline Gamalot

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #20 on: Jan 22, 2022, 08:07 AM »
I think Ice Holes have some sort of a magnetic draw for phones. Last season with a brand new Iphone I drilled a hole and bent over to scoop the ice out and my phone jumped right out of my shirt pocket and right into the hole. Lucky for me the scoop was in the hole and saved it. About 2 hours later my buddy was sitting in the pop up jigging and his phone beeped. He dropped it and the damn thing hit the ice and took an immediate left hop and right down the hole it went. For about 5 minutes we could see the phone on the bottom in about 10 FOW still lit up and we tried hard to get it back with no success. It was actually pretty funny because there is zero cell signal on the lake we were fishing and the beep on his phone was a notification he had set to remind him about something.

Your wife did exactly the right thing and you scared the stuffing right out of her. Happy that all worked out well and glad the first responders did a great job.

I now carry a strong magnet in my pack attached to 30 feet of rip cord just so I might be able to retrieve a phone or jig stick the takes a swim.
If I agreed with you we would both be wrong!

Offline joefishmore

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #21 on: Jan 22, 2022, 09:23 AM »
Always wondered why people icefishing still keep their phones in a shirt pocket ?

Offline BrianF

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #22 on: Jan 22, 2022, 10:03 AM »
Want to say my wife would do the same but think she would be on the phone with an insurance agent ahead of any emergency services. 

On a serious note, I go offshore quite a bit in a small boat, kayak in the salt in bad weather, ice fish when the the news is bored and finds that one guy that fell through, and overall think she is numb to the risk I have engaged in over the years. Most of it not risky but rather her perception. I have gone through the ice many times but has been when fishing 1-2 fow.

However, i did give her what my SOS call would be in the form of GPS coordinates should i ever need her to relay to the coast guard, marine patrol, etc. Same with my hunting excursions.

Offline taxi1

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #23 on: Jan 22, 2022, 12:47 PM »
Always wondered why people icefishing still keep their phones in a shirt pocket ?
I drowned two cell phones on vacation a few summers ago in my kayak. One was an iPhone hand me down from the wife for taking pictures (no cell phone service) and the other was a cell phone loner Jitterbug from my parents as they demanded I keep in contact with them (the wife was in Germany with students and I was a alone on vacation.) From now on if I have a cell phone with me (I still don't own one) it's going into a zip lock bag.
I live in the midwest now but have fond memories of fishing in New England as a kid.

Offline FishingPhotographer

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #24 on: Jan 22, 2022, 01:05 PM »
Lol From your description, I’m surprised the first responder didn’t arrive after your wife. It took me a while to write this since I first wrote that I was surprised the first responder beat your wife. That just didn’t sound right.
I should’ve chosen Fishin’Mortician as my username… ;-)

Offline Mr.Seaguar

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #25 on: Jan 22, 2022, 02:33 PM »
If I fell in, my wife would wait 30 minutes so I would be good and dead before calling anyone
Every plastics manufacturer claims plastics outfish livebait. So now I use livebait just for the increased challenge.

Offline IceSpartan

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #26 on: Jan 22, 2022, 03:26 PM »
Great story.  The phone can be replaced, but you can’t!  You have a wife who is a keeper.

Offline bullpine

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #27 on: Jan 22, 2022, 04:12 PM »
Too bad people have this irrational fear of ice.  Sure, there are people who fall through, get struck by lightning twice, and without bad luck would have no luck at all, but guys falling through the ice is not a common occurrence or as easily done as many, not just the wives, believe.  Even ice fishermen on this forum.  There is no safe ice, but from what I can tell it would take a lot, like walking around and over springs and river current to fall through the ice just walking if you have 4 plus inches good ice.  Probably just jinxed 57 years of not falling through.  Oh well, see you on the other side.

Offline Remps17

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #28 on: Jan 22, 2022, 05:04 PM »
When I dumped my truck on the drink my phone was in the truck. 5 weeks later in 14ft of water I plugged the phone in and still worked. Newer iPhones seem to be water resistant and the very least. I was amazed it still worked.

Never dropped one down the hole. But if you can retrieve it there is still hope.

Offline gofish

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #29 on: Jan 22, 2022, 05:06 PM »
that is a great story

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.