New York Ice Fishing sponsored by

Author Topic: IS or Facebook?  (Read 2961 times)

Offline Hijinks

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • The greatest international fisherman.
IS or Facebook?
« on: Jan 21, 2022, 01:00 PM »
I prefer IS over Facebook reports. More detailed information and not as many gloating with pictures and trying to get followers. Toss a halfway decent looking woman with a dead 8" perch in her photo from Oneida and the crowd goes nuts.
2023 - Doing a "food Sled" on Chautauqua with just my wild game food for purchase. Venison, Bear, Elk, Moose, and Boar. Weekends.
2022 - Featured in Jan In-Fisherman Magazine
2019- MVP of Flag Football over 65 league
1992 - 2022 Voted the best Ice Angler in Upstate
2020 - NY Times Best Seller for Propane Crockpot Book
2017 - Iceshanty.com Hall of Fame Inductee
2016 - Voted Best Grandpa in Upstate NY again.
2018 - Donated 1MM to Help Rebuild Afrikan Nation
2019 - Developed own line of jigging lures named after local businesses. Revenue of $289K first 3 months.
2022 - Micro-dehydrating propane cookbook debut on Amazon

Offline NOT ME

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • It's a prodigious achievement!
Re: IS or Facebook?
« Reply #1 on: Jan 21, 2022, 01:12 PM »
Facebook sucks. I never use it. Never will.
It's stupendous!  It's colossal!  It's putrid!!

Offline trapper2000

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #2 on: Jan 21, 2022, 01:19 PM »
from what i see face book sells your personal info ,fishing or no fishing i don't  want a face book account.....besides what the hell would you guys  do without me  ;D

Offline sodussut

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #3 on: Jan 21, 2022, 01:20 PM »
are you kidding with facebook? Iceshanty is the only place to go except being there!

Offline butkusbowman

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #4 on: Jan 21, 2022, 01:30 PM »
I won't sell out to facebook either just to be "liked". Of course my motto is that I'm really not anti-social, society is anti me! This site is great for us ice walkers. 

Offline Neil McCauley

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #5 on: Jan 21, 2022, 01:51 PM »
facewut

Offline FrozenJig

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Jan 21, 2022, 01:58 PM »
There's decent looking women out on Oneida?
Look for the beer flag, that's where i'm at

Offline MontanaFisherman

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #7 on: Jan 21, 2022, 02:12 PM »
* I just realized this was posted on the NY page.. Just ignore my response if you can not relate.

Specifically where i live in Montana it is a minimum of a 2 hour drive (or more) to fish a lake or reservoir that holds quality fish. I use IS and multiple Montana ice fishing groups on Facebook as resources to check ice conditions, what bait/lures people are catching fish on, road conditions, etc. Plus i find that i get a quicker response using Facebook (even though there is a lot more trash responses).

I think they both have their place.. but i use both equally as much. That being said, Facebook in general sucks but a lot of the groups are very informative and helpful.

Offline SchrnLker

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #8 on: Jan 21, 2022, 02:21 PM »
I've always preferred IS but lets be honest, forums like these are a dying thing. Here it is a Friday in late January, been real cold, good ice forming most places. Even Lake George has fishable ice, and there is barely a half page of new responses. 5-10 years ago there would be 3 pages before a winter weekend. Like it or not, Facebook is winning out.  Sad.   
Tony

Offline primepin65

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #9 on: Jan 21, 2022, 02:26 PM »
* I just realized this was posted on the NY page.. Just ignore my response if you can not relate.

Specifically where i live in Montana it is a minimum of a 2 hour drive (or more) to fish a lake or reservoir that holds quality fish. I use IS and multiple Montana ice fishing groups on Facebook as resources to check ice conditions, what bait/lures people are catching fish on, road conditions, etc. Plus i find that i get a quicker response using Facebook (even though there is a lot more trash responses).

I think they both have their place.. but i use both equally as much. That being said, Facebook in general sucks but a lot of the groups are very informative and helpful.

The trash responses are *definitely* accurate. I find that on facebook ice groups, you get different people asking the same exact questions every single day, in every single group. literally nobody knows how to use the search function on facebook, or at least they know about it but refuse to try it out.
"The mountain without is merely a crutch to help us deal with the mountain within."

Offline Hijinks

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • The greatest international fisherman.
« Reply #10 on: Jan 21, 2022, 02:37 PM »
I've always preferred IS but lets be honest, forums like these are a dying thing. Here it is a Friday in late January, been real cold, good ice forming most places. Even Lake George has fishable ice, and there is barely a half page of new responses. 5-10 years ago there would be 3 pages before a winter weekend. Like it or not, Facebook is winning out.  Sad.

Well said. Everyone is crying how they're an hour away and expecting to get ice reports so they don't have to put in the effort. Thanks internets.
That being said - on the facebooks I get up to date information from friends and family. IS is good if you're looking for questions for the same question you're planning on asking.How's the ice?
2023 - Doing a "food Sled" on Chautauqua with just my wild game food for purchase. Venison, Bear, Elk, Moose, and Boar. Weekends.
2022 - Featured in Jan In-Fisherman Magazine
2019- MVP of Flag Football over 65 league
1992 - 2022 Voted the best Ice Angler in Upstate
2020 - NY Times Best Seller for Propane Crockpot Book
2017 - Iceshanty.com Hall of Fame Inductee
2016 - Voted Best Grandpa in Upstate NY again.
2018 - Donated 1MM to Help Rebuild Afrikan Nation
2019 - Developed own line of jigging lures named after local businesses. Revenue of $289K first 3 months.
2022 - Micro-dehydrating propane cookbook debut on Amazon

Offline ECobb91

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #11 on: Jan 21, 2022, 03:05 PM »
Ice Shanty by far..

I hate Facebook and I hate the ice fishing Facebook pages even more. It’s just filled with people begging for information. I bet most would want you to hook the fish for them with the amount of effort they’re willing to give to find fish themselves. So many lakes have become ghosts of what they once were because of places getting blown up on Facebook. Social media warriors who just are looking for the next thing to post 

Offline lowaccord66

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #12 on: Jan 21, 2022, 03:38 PM »
Facebook is communist.

Offline fishinator

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #13 on: Jan 21, 2022, 03:41 PM »
What's Facebook?
Dude.....Dude!! Greg! Wake up! You're on fire!

Offline sebago2jigtima

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #14 on: Jan 21, 2022, 03:42 PM »
no brainer !!!
ice  shanty  :flex: :bow: :thumbsup: :clap:
fake book  :sick: :sick: :cookoo: :nono:

Offline Raquettedacker

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #15 on: Jan 21, 2022, 03:49 PM »
Not on FB but make my bride go on so I can check out what’s going on.. @) @)
Strangers stopping strangers just to shake there hand.
         The successful life were living has us feuding like the Hatfields and McCoys...
Pro Staff Member "Team Loser"

Offline Iceman1899

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #16 on: Jan 21, 2022, 03:54 PM »
Never had it…..damn sure never will

Offline Muggsy

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #17 on: Jan 21, 2022, 03:57 PM »
Ice Shanty, don't do the other at all. Too bad so many small vendors only do the f-book thing; they are missing out on sales by not having web pages.
Maybe someday I'll think of something clever to write here...but I doubt it.

Offline DR.SPECKLER

• Team IceShantyholic
  • find your own fish..
« Reply #18 on: Jan 21, 2022, 03:59 PM »
I just joined fb a few days ago for marketplace,1 gen dodge trucks,airbrushing and lure making.on 2 icefishing groups and not posting anything.Iceshanty is the best place to chat icefishing.not really going to friend anyone either so i dont get pm on messenger all day asking where,when,depth from the guys that dont want to do work learning spots.

Offline zcm_82

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #19 on: Jan 21, 2022, 04:25 PM »
Been on FB since 2006. It was a way differerent format before 2009 or so.

Offline filetandrelease

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #20 on: Jan 21, 2022, 05:19 PM »
I prefer IS over Facebook reports. More detailed information and not as many gloating with pictures and trying to get followers. Toss a halfway decent looking woman with a dead 8" perch in her photo from Oneida and the crowd goes nuts.
  Don’t do FB ,  8” perch your in the nursery time to move, Personally I enjoy the pics

Offline river_scum

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • hook n cook
« Reply #21 on: Jan 21, 2022, 05:26 PM »
all facebook is is p_l_t_cal propaganda  got off there 2 years ago and wont go back to anything like it again.
real fishermen don't ask "where you catch those"

OANN the real story

- member here since -2003- IN.

Offline thor94

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #22 on: Jan 21, 2022, 06:11 PM »
For real information and topics on ice fishing…iceshanty hands down.   

I’m on a few Facebook groups for ice fishing, my local lake, etc, but people just seem so angry.  I have to admit a guilty pleasure is watching people argue about when the lake is safe to be on the ice.

Offline Arkangel

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • ArkAngel
« Reply #23 on: Jan 22, 2022, 04:15 AM »
Wellll...now you dunnit, Montanafisherman...gon e and opened Pandora's box!!! 

But to each his own, I say.  If FB works for you then, great.

I'm not a FB guy...never had an account - but from my limited experience and perspective - it always seems to morph into a "look at me" thread...just sayin'.

If you want regional, non-political, fish centric topics and responses - ICE SHANTY is hands down the best in Upstate NY.

Go Bills! 

Many men go fishing all of their lives without knowing it's not the fish they are after ~ Henry David Thoreau

Offline BeenPerchin315

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Yes. There will be ice and I will fish it.
« Reply #24 on: Jan 22, 2022, 05:42 AM »
Wellll...now you dunnit, Montanafisherman...gon e and opened Pandora's box!!! 

But to each his own, I say.  If FB works for you then, great.

I'm not a FB guy...never had an account - but from my limited experience and perspective - it always seems to morph into a "look at me" thread...just sayin'.

If you want regional, non-political, fish centric topics and responses - ICE SHANTY is hands down the best in Upstate NY.

Go Bills!
x2 on all of it. Especially GO BILLS!!
Disclaimer:
I make statements based on my experiences in the location I fished only. Check ice conditions for yourself.
Stay safe. Tight lines.

Offline joefish

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #25 on: Jan 22, 2022, 05:49 AM »
from what i see face book sells your personal info ,fishing or no fishing i don't  want a face book account.....besides what the hell would you guys  do without me  ;D

You are very correct Trapper, " Where would we be without all your wisdom "  Makes my day every day I read it.  Thanks.

Offline IcefisherSteve

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #26 on: Jan 22, 2022, 09:27 AM »
I hope you don't own a cell phone. Tracks your every movement and conversations. Cell phones way worse than facebook as far as privacy is concerned.

Offline lowaccord66

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #27 on: Jan 22, 2022, 03:30 PM »
I hope you don't live in america. The NSA Tracks your every movement and conversations.

Fixed!

Offline TheManInBlack

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #28 on: Jan 23, 2022, 08:19 AM »
As Bills fan, I don't really like Bill Belichick, but I got a kick out the comment he made a few years ago when he said:
"I am not on Snapface.  I am not too worried about what they put on InstantChat".

Offline NOT ME

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • It's a prodigious achievement!
« Reply #29 on: Jan 23, 2022, 08:35 AM »
Most big tech is a tool of American Marxists. Use it at your own risk. Now go ahead and cancel me.
It's stupendous!  It's colossal!  It's putrid!!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.