The ice fishing Michigan board sponsored by:

Sponsor this board

Author Topic: Strange catch this week.  (Read 2423 times)

Offline DR.SPECKLER

• Team IceShantyholic
  • find your own fish..
Strange catch this week.
« on: Jan 19, 2022, 10:24 AM »
So i was out ice fishing specks the other day and i ended up hooking a gar early in the morning which broke me off because i was light lining 1lb test line.later on in the day i was reeling in a speck and a different gar came right up into the hole with its beak out of the water!!it went back down in my hole about 6" under the ice so i quickly dropped my jig towards its mouth and i sight fished and it slowly open its mouth and gently grabbed my jig.fight was on and after 5 minutes i landed it.i can't believe i got it on 1lb.ive caught pike on light line but not a gar.im from Oklahoma and if it was bigger i would tin snip the backstraps out.lol

Offline zcm_82

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: Strange catch this week.
« Reply #1 on: Jan 19, 2022, 10:28 AM »
You definitely don't see that everyday. Never caught one through the ice.

I actually don't even think I've ever seen one when ice fishing 🤔 Caught a few from the boat by accident, though.

Offline DR.SPECKLER

• Team IceShantyholic
  • find your own fish..
« Reply #2 on: Jan 19, 2022, 10:34 AM »
Alot of guys think they are trash fish but its one cool species of fish, armored scales cut me up when i grabbed it out of the hole.they taste good too.like alligator,but theres only the 2 round tenderloins in them.i released this one.i have never seen a gar caught icefishing either.

Offline Doeslayer

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Jan 19, 2022, 12:04 PM »
My dad catches em in the summer in dragon lake near coldwater.... He has a place there.... Ive never caught one... Never heard of getting one through ice..... Should have kept it doc might have been an ifga record for line class lol
Catch and release, into the grease!
"gotta be somebody needs some killin" ~ Major Payne

Offline DR.SPECKLER

• Team IceShantyholic
  • find your own fish..
« Reply #4 on: Jan 19, 2022, 12:10 PM »
What made it stranger was that it had its back rubbing on the bottom ice plate and i sight fished it over 22ft of water.he really wanted the speck i caught i guess.he settled for a 4 mm jig tipped with a micro nuggie.

Offline zcm_82

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5 on: Jan 19, 2022, 12:16 PM »
They're weird fish. I caught one on a small grub bouncing it through a rocky riffle for smallies one time, and then a couple on little niblets of nightcrawler on the bottom fishing for redhorse. I've never actually gotten one on purpose lol.

Offline DR.SPECKLER

• Team IceShantyholic
  • find your own fish..
« Reply #6 on: Jan 19, 2022, 12:23 PM »
They're weird fish. I caught one on a small grub bouncing it through a rocky riffle for smallies one time, and then a couple on little niblets of nightcrawler on the bottom fishing for redhorse. I've never actually gotten one on purpose lol.
right.i see huge schools in the river and i never get one to bite targeting them but get a few while fishing other species.

Offline zcm_82

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #7 on: Jan 19, 2022, 12:59 PM »
Same, see them up in shallow flats along the river sometimes. I've tossed plugs, spinnerbaits, and spoons at them and never gotten one to hit any of it.

Offline icefishman

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #8 on: Jan 19, 2022, 01:57 PM »
Caught one through ice in Ellsworth lake northern part of chain of lakes that flow into Torch lake 20 years ago. I haven’t seen one since
Catching Any?

Offline Ronnie D

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #9 on: Jan 19, 2022, 05:21 PM »
Ditto on the ice , never saw one.
During the spring I'll walk lake Erie canals w/ an Oneida & shoot em' till my shoulder hurts.

Offline sebago2jigtima

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #10 on: Jan 19, 2022, 05:25 PM »
now thats kool !
nice fish  ;)

Offline stevenmang85

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • got bluegill?
« Reply #11 on: Jan 20, 2022, 07:04 AM »
Awesome catch and Awesome story.  Only heard of 1 other being caught ice fishing.  I used to catch them in the summer on a local lake. They hang out in a mucky shallow bay area and I'd go wade through the muck and cast for them with plastic lizards.  Great fighting fish! So much fun.
gilliams and smeltzillas

Offline fishinator

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #12 on: Jan 20, 2022, 07:19 AM »
Awesome catch. We occasionally have them bite while throwing stick baits on the river. They rarely hook up which results in 3 treble hook baits flying at your face!
Dude.....Dude!! Greg! Wake up! You're on fire!

Offline ftwwalleye

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #13 on: Jan 20, 2022, 07:29 AM »
I was fly fishing in open water spot near stream on a frozen trout lake..would put tip ups on the frozen part and fly fish the open part..anyways a gar was chilling right next to me at the edge of the frozen part. He was so lethargic I reached down and grabbed him. First time I have seen one in winter..he was in a pretty dormant stage.
I love to fly fish for them in the summer. Can be a lot of fun on fly rod.
Beer is proof that god loves us-ben franklin

Offline 800stealth

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #14 on: Jan 20, 2022, 07:32 AM »
That's pretty cool.
"May your lines be tight and never be tangled" (old Frankish Proverb)  Guinea 2021

Offline jdgambler

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #15 on: Jan 20, 2022, 09:57 AM »
i'll have to fillet one now. I get um sometimes. You can see them swim by under my open ice fishing holes. minnows seem to be the desired bait.
I'd rather be fishing than sleeping

Offline DR.SPECKLER

• Team IceShantyholic
  • find your own fish..
« Reply #16 on: Jan 20, 2022, 01:12 PM »
i'll have to fillet one now. I get um sometimes. You can see them swim by under my open ice fishing holes. minnows seem to be the desired bait.
you use tin snips down the back and cut out the 2 tenderloins.the rest is crap with bones and not worth anything.the tenderloins are round like deer loins.a knife will not cut the armor like scales.

Offline Carpn

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #17 on: Jan 20, 2022, 08:57 PM »
Had a day on sag bay back in about 2018 we kept having gar ghost thru a couple feet under the ice . Finally one cane thru and I saw my flasher start flickering . So I reeled up super fast and as it floated under me I snagged it under the bill .

The really odd part is on that save day I caught a freshwater drum thru the ice . I was pretty convinced they lived in groundhog holes during winter . I joked with my buddies that I was gonna catch a carp next to complete my slam that day .

Offline Doeslayer

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #18 on: Jan 20, 2022, 09:02 PM »
I catch drum through the ice a lot... Caught 3 today
Catch and release, into the grease!
"gotta be somebody needs some killin" ~ Major Payne

Offline Carpn

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #19 on: Jan 20, 2022, 09:22 PM »
That's crazy . My experience has been that they seem to disappear once the water cools off . May I ask what type of habitat you caught them in?

I have honestly lost sleep wondering where they go Oct to May . Lol

I mainly fish lake Erie tho .

Offline RapShack

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #20 on: Jan 20, 2022, 09:27 PM »
Same, see them up in shallow flats along the river sometimes. I've tossed plugs, spinnerbaits, and spoons at them and never gotten one to hit any of it.

Spooks drive them crazy but the only way you'll ever really catch them is to swap out the rear treble for a piece of synthetic rope.
I'm a man, but I can change, If I have to, I guess.

Offline ftwwalleye

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #21 on: Jan 21, 2022, 04:39 AM »
Spooks drive them crazy but the only way you'll ever really catch them is to swap out the rear treble for a piece of synthetic rope.
I actually catch them with really flashy flies or top water frog style flies in heavy weed cover in the summer. Gotta let them grab it and count 3 seconds before you set the hook...and really set again. Half the time when you get them in they are not even hooked just holding onto the fly. But I agree rope flies work best. Essentially I make Wooley bugger flies from synthetic rope with no hook. Teeth get tangled up. They are so fun to catch on the fly rod minus the part where they bury in heavy weeds after they get hooked.
Beer is proof that god loves us-ben franklin

Offline Fish Killa

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Fish on!
« Reply #22 on: Jan 21, 2022, 12:57 PM »
I caught a gar two winters ago thru the ice. Hit my teardrop with spikes. Little guy was only about 12". All snout and tail!
I'm not as good as I once was but I am good once as I ever was.

Offline DanO2013

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #23 on: Jan 23, 2022, 06:04 AM »
Holy crap that's a wild time man.  And you caught it!! Did you try to grab it the first time initially when it came up beak first in the hole?

Offline DR.SPECKLER

• Team IceShantyholic
  • find your own fish..
« Reply #24 on: Jan 23, 2022, 10:02 AM »
Holy crap that's a wild time man.  And you caught it!! Did you try to grab it the first time initially when it came up beak first in the hole?
no.i was busy unhooking the nice speck that it wanted when its beak  was out and it all happened fast, plus i wasnt grabbing it by the head with all those teeth.i thought about it tho.lol.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.