Author Topic: Why?  (Read 1919 times)

Offline ActiveTrapChecker

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Why?
« on: Jan 18, 2022, 07:02 AM »
I bought an adapter to try to eliminate recoiling green propane tanks for the heater. Not overly excited about dragging out a 20# tank each time, so I thought I壇 buy a 10# tank.

When shopping it appears the smaller the tank, the more it costs. Why are 10# vertical tanks so expensive?

Offline remyjames23

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: Why?
« Reply #1 on: Jan 18, 2022, 08:13 AM »
I was looking into the same thing this year and noticed that as well....the vertical 10#ers have been sold out every where here in MT so it is either a supply issue or just that the demand for the 20# tanks is so much higher and that means that more are produced and there is more competition keeping the price down. I don't know for sure, would love to hear a propane expert's take on it.

Offline Hardwater2

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #2 on: Jan 18, 2022, 08:15 AM »
Just picked one up off Amazon. Couldn稚 find one locally anywhere. Nice size! Using it this weekend

Offline antelope76

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Jan 18, 2022, 08:35 AM »
I have a 5lb tank I bought years ago.  It was pricey back then at around $70.  Well worth the money, great for ice fishing and camping.

Offline Iceassin

• Team IceShantyholic
  • The secret to fishing...fish where the fish are.
« Reply #4 on: Jan 18, 2022, 08:45 AM »
I have a 5lb tank I bought years ago.  It was pricey back then at around $70.  Well worth the money, great for ice fishing and camping.

X2. I run a tank top (sunflower) with mine. Depending on setting and usage (on/off), it'll last me 3 or 4 days. Initial cost...pricey. Refill...around $5 at local propane dealer. Use it on gas grill in summer too. Much lighter/less footprint than the 20#er. Better than the the 1# bombs...for many reasons.
"Si quaeris peninsulam amoenam circumspice."

Offline UP jigstick

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5 on: Jan 18, 2022, 08:53 AM »
Ever shop at a 7-11? Convenience always comes at an increased cost.

Offline filetandrelease

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #6 on: Jan 18, 2022, 09:46 AM »

I have a 5#and a 11# Manchester matched with a sunflower, bought them ages ago and they were $50 back then

Offline Tubes77

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #7 on: Jan 18, 2022, 09:52 AM »
I had a 5" and a 11# at one point and the problem I had was trying to find a place to fill it.  What was more of an issue was that some places that would fill them, charged almost as much for the small tanks as they did the 20#.  I finally sold them both and went back to the 1#, but now I refill all my 1# bottles myself and found that much easier for us personally.  Before you buy the 5 or 11, check to see if you can get them filled and for how much.  I know the Menards here will not fill the 5#.  Just some food for thought.

Offline Papa Sly

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #8 on: Jan 18, 2022, 09:58 AM »
I had a 5" and a 11# at one point and the problem I had was trying to find a place to fill it.  What was more of an issue was that some places that would fill them, charged almost as much for the small tanks as they did the 20#.  I finally sold them both and went back to the 1#, but now I refill all my 1# bottles myself and found that much easier for us personally.  Before you buy the 5 or 11, check to see if you can get them filled and for how much.  I know the Menards here will not fill the 5#.  Just some food for thought.
Here in CT/MA as long as you ask them you can pay by the pound not based off the size of the tank.
A bad day of ice fishing is better than any day at work!
http://i.imgur.com/dIEANML.jpg?1

Offline Iceassin

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #9 on: Jan 18, 2022, 10:07 AM »
The distributor I use told me that anyone who wants their 20#ers or less filled, would not see an increase in price like those that heat their homes with it. Said he prefers to keep it like that as a courtesy. Nice. My last fill for 5# was $4.50. The local (national) hardware gets 3X that.

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #10 on: Jan 18, 2022, 06:23 PM »
I値l have to call around about cost of filling, but I just returned enough Christmas gifts to Amazon for half the cost of the 10# tank.

Then the planner in me will have to determine how a 10# tank fits in the sled, compared to the 20# before purchasing.

It痴 all gotta fit comfortably

Offline DR.SPECKLER

• Team IceShantyholic
  • find your own fish..
« Reply #11 on: Jan 19, 2022, 07:54 AM »
The distributor I use told me that anyone who wants their 20#ers or less filled, would not see an increase in price like those that heat their homes with it. Said he prefers to keep it like that as a courtesy. Nice. My last fill for 5# was $4.50. The local (national) hardware gets 3X that.
curious where you get prop filled at?ive got a 11lb pancake rank that is great with a sunflower.looking to get it filled after i get the updated valve and recertified at Hopkins propane.

Offline mdrobny

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • common sense is no longer common
« Reply #12 on: Jan 19, 2022, 08:07 AM »
curious where you get prop filled at?ive got a 11lb pancake rank that is great with a sunflower.looking to get it filled after i get the updated valve and recertified at Hopkins propane.
Try a U-haul dealer. The one buy me charges by the pound.
Smaller/ rural hardware stores fill tanks too

Offline don519

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #13 on: Jan 19, 2022, 09:07 AM »
I was lucky enough to be given a 5# absolutely love it when I'm busy working my buddy barrow's it I plan on investing in some refillable 1# for my auger

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #14 on: Jan 19, 2022, 09:15 AM »
Anyone run a Mr Heater off a 5#, 10# or 20# tank? I just tried one, changing from a Lil Buddy. It was absolutely miserable out but I only got about 2 hours in a refilled green pound tanks. I知 curios to hear about how many hours you set out of you tank

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #15 on: Jan 19, 2022, 08:25 PM »
Anyone run a Mr Heater off a 5#, 10# or 20# tank? I just tried one, changing from a Lil Buddy. It was absolutely miserable out but I only got about 2 hours in a refilled green pound tanks. I知 curios to hear about how many hours you set out of you tank

I thought about it, after having some sausage, potato and kale soup, if I知 getting 2 hours per filled pound (which was probably at best 80% full) I should get at least 20 hours with a 10# tank and 40 hours wilt a 20# tank

Offline Luckydog

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #16 on: Jan 19, 2022, 08:34 PM »
I get my 10 lb tank filled at Amerigas.

Offline MOwens79

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #17 on: Jan 19, 2022, 08:55 PM »
Supply and demand.  They probably make and sell a ten-thousand to one 20lb tanks to 10lb tanks.  The more you make of something in manufacturing the cheaper per piece they become.  Every gas station, walmart, and general store has 20lb tanks yet you never see 10lb tanks except online and at rv/camping stores.

Offline Iceassin

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #18 on: Jan 20, 2022, 07:41 AM »
Supply and demand.  They probably make and sell a ten-thousand to one 20lb tanks to 10lb tanks.  The more you make of something in manufacturing the cheaper per piece they become.  Every gas station, walmart, and general store has 20lb tanks yet you never see 10lb tanks except online and at rv/camping stores.

This...

Offline Iceassin

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #19 on: Jan 20, 2022, 07:49 AM »
I thought about it, after having some sausage, potato and kale soup, if I知 getting 2 hours per filled pound (which was probably at best 80% full) I should get at least 20 hours with a 10# tank and 40 hours wilt a 20# tank

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #20 on: Jan 20, 2022, 08:20 AM »
Before buying a 10 or 11 pound tank I知 going to drag out the 20 pounder this weekend. Would rather spend $70 on more gear than another tank. Have plenty of 20 pounders already for grilling and the turkey fryer

Offline lowaccord66

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #21 on: Jan 20, 2022, 05:59 PM »
Here in CT/MA as long as you ask them you can pay by the pound not based off the size of the tank.

Can confirm 6 bucks to fill my 11#

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.