The ice fishing VT boards are sponsored by:

Author Topic: Crystal Lake Quandaries  (Read 937 times)

Offline Mike84

• Team IceShanty Regular
Crystal Lake Quandaries
« on: Jan 17, 2022, 10:07 AM »
Hi all! Headed to Crystal lake with the hopes of getting on some smaller lakers as well as a shot at a rainbow through the ice. I was looking at the topo breakdown on navionics and it's quite a spread of depths going all the way to 114 fow. I will be walking so hoping to focus on a certain depth/bottom feature. Any suggestions on a starting point? Thoughts on if I would have a shot at a rainbow in the same area I would be jigging for lakers? This will be my first time there so any tips/info is appreciated.  Feel free to private message me if you don't feel comfortable sharing on the main forum. Good luck and tight lines out there.
I'm just here for the ice fishing groupies..

Offline KevinM68

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: Crystal Lake Quandaries
« Reply #1 on: Jan 17, 2022, 11:15 AM »
If your main goal is to catch a rainbow, I have done well catching them on Memphremagog, Caspian & Echo.  Especially on Caspian and Echo, I use 6lb flourocarbon leader with #6 or #8 hook, thread a live crawler the length of the hook and up on the line over the knot.  I fish 2' - 3' of water along shoreline and lower the crawler to the bottom with no split shot.  I like to fish near trees that have tipped into the water or near streams coming into lake, you might lose a fish or two in the snags but you will catch fish.  Not difficult to catch rainbows with this method.

I have caught some nice rainbows on Memphremagong fishing with smelt just under the ice while fishing for salmon, browns and lakers.

Have fun and good luck.

Offline JMailbox8

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Jan 18, 2022, 10:28 AM »
If your main goal is to catch a rainbow, I have done well catching them on Memphremagog, Caspian & Echo.  Especially on Caspian and Echo, I use 6lb flourocarbon leader with #6 or #8 hook, thread a live crawler the length of the hook and up on the line over the knot.  I fish 2' - 3' of water along shoreline and lower the crawler to the bottom with no split shot.  I like to fish near trees that have tipped into the water or near streams coming into lake, you might lose a fish or two in the snags but you will catch fish.  Not difficult to catch rainbows with this method.

I have caught some nice rainbows on Memphremagong fishing with smelt just under the ice while fishing for salmon, browns and lakers.

Have fun and good luck.

Mud bottom, sand bottom, or gravel bottom best for this method?

Offline KevinM68

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #3 on: Jan 18, 2022, 12:54 PM »
I personally like a gravel and rock bottom.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.