Ice Fishing Iowa board sponsored by

Author Topic: Fishing......  (Read 1960 times)

Offline Agronomist_at_IA

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Team Iowa!
Fishing......
« on: Jan 14, 2022, 11:14 AM »
So where is everyone fishing...how's the bite been?

Offline Ice_Fly_Guy

• Team IceShanty Addict
Re: Fishing......
« Reply #1 on: Jan 14, 2022, 11:49 AM »
Been out three times so far - First time was my favorite small county pond.  10 gills between me and my son, only a few were of decent size. Tried Arrowhead Lake south of Lake View later that day and couldn't get on em.  Only one average gill caught there.

Last year I bought the trout stamp to take my boy to do that, and I wanted to go one more time before it expired, so Moorland Pond was my second destination.  It was a hoot sight fishing those trout.

Third time was a short stint at my home lake, Black Hawk.  I fished away from the community hole and had an OK perch bite until it got toward dark.  They shut down and were gone from my spot by then, so I moved in near where most people set up during the day.  Only got 1 dink crappie and one really nice 12" crappie right before I took off.

I'm hoping next time out I'm hoping I can hit a spot at Black Hawk I've been wanting to try, but someone was there yesterday.  I may go north to a relatively unknown lake to see what's up there.

Offline bert29

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Jan 14, 2022, 02:41 PM »
I was able to get on Blackhawk Lake  back on Dec. 30 (early ice--it was 4-5" thick then) and much thanks to Matt Mork, the DNR officer there on lake, for giving me some ice conditions report. We caught a few decent perch, some small crappies, and I caught a 26" 7.5lb walleye that day! If you know Matt, he can show you the pic I sent him! We fished off of Icehouse Point in the hole that day!

Offline Ice_Fly_Guy

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #3 on: Jan 14, 2022, 08:56 PM »
Damn! I heard about that fish from another DNR guy. Congratulations! Walleye fishing can be pretty tough there in winter, in my experience.

Offline yakker13

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #4 on: Jan 17, 2022, 10:19 AM »
Went out yesterday to a very small farm pond. Came out with 5 nice (sorta) crappies and a bunch of decent gills. Fun day on the ice.

Offline Dave R

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #5 on: Jan 17, 2022, 05:17 PM »
Been fishing some local ponds in Ankeny. The bite started out strong but kind of sucked the last couple of times. Going again tomorrow afternoon. Hoping things improve.

Offline ia bhtr

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #6 on: Jan 17, 2022, 08:56 PM »
OK luck on small ponds by Moville , last 3 trips up on the North end of West Boji , great luck each time on gills ( today only gills ) other 2 times , pike , bass , crappies and gills #14 widowmaker blue/black with white plastic has been my best bait

Offline IFF

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #7 on: Jan 21, 2022, 05:13 PM »
Is Blackhawk lake in the west central part of Iowa ?  Got out on one with Son-in-Law eastern end. 8 good inches of ice.  Now need to make a smitty sled.
Bud

Offline Ice_Fly_Guy

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #8 on: Jan 21, 2022, 06:32 PM »
Yes, it's in West Central Iowa. It gets lots of pressure in three particular spots but if one goes against the grain it can be decent.

Offline spoofhoundicefisher

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9 on: Jan 21, 2022, 10:33 PM »
farm ponds around here have been on fire ever since first ice.  the mid day bite gets slow at times but if you have the right plastics you can entice a bite from the "sniffers"  waxies have been good for everything but the last few days the minnows have been killer for the crappie.  good solid 8.5 to 9 inches of ice good hard clear ice.  found a farm pond Wednesday and hammered some catfish in then thursday found another pond 2 miles from that pond that had wipers in it. 

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.