Author Topic: Flip-Over Shack - Propane Tank Mount  (Read 1979 times)

Offline lazyMlazyK

• IceShanty Rookie
Flip-Over Shack - Propane Tank Mount
« on: Jan 14, 2022, 07:39 AM »
With 1lb propane bottles getting more and more expensive and harder to find, I'm considering starting to use a 20lb tank connected to my Big Buddy heater.  I'd rather not have the tank inside my shack if I can help it just to save on space.  I've been thinking about how I could mount it to my Clam tow bar and just run a 5'-10' hose to my shack.  Most of the time I pull the shack with a four-wheeler.  If I were pulling by hand, this wouldn't work too well unless I put the tank in the shack for transport.  Has anyone mounted a propane tank to their tow bar, or the back of their four-wheeler/ATV?

Offline hardwater diehard

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
Re: Flip-Over Shack - Propane Tank Mount
« Reply #1 on: Jan 14, 2022, 07:56 AM »
My quick thought ..for a run and gun style ..I would figure a way to mount the heater inside the sled..bolted some how to the lower rear of the seat bracketof a  one man or to the front of the tub in a two man  between the seat... I accomplishe this on my two man Frabill by adding two pices of square aluminum stock to the top of the front tub area ..ran two screws so the haeter would hang I would use quick disconnects for the hose ..and when disconnected the tank ride up on the front rack in a milk crate . Just make certain that the shelter cover does or can not make contact with the heater in any way or scenario . It should be good it moderate speeds if it a wind break postion or better to collapse

Give a man a fish he eats for a day .Teach a man to ice fish he has an obsession for a lifetime

Offline lazyMlazyK

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2 on: Jan 14, 2022, 10:08 AM »
Are you leaving your tank on the front rack of your ATV the whole time?

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #3 on: Jan 14, 2022, 01:19 PM »
Are you leaving your tank on the front rack of your ATV the whole time?

No I use one pound tanks ..my post above was just an idea I was tossing out to you ..you could add the milk crate to the rear rack and place your 20# in there .

Do you have a one man or a two man
Give a man a fish he eats for a day .Teach a man to ice fish he has an obsession for a lifetime

Offline lazyMlazyK

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #4 on: Jan 14, 2022, 01:40 PM »
I have a two man right now, but space is pretty limited already and don't want to have to keep a big tank in the tub.

Offline Sylvanboat

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #5 on: Jan 15, 2022, 07:24 AM »
Have you tried the Flameking rechargeable propane system?  There is an upfront cost but very convenient to bring a couple of 1 lbers on a trip and recharge as needed.

Offline fireplug

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Jan 16, 2022, 08:55 AM »
Have you tried the Flameking rechargeable propane system?  There is an upfront cost but very convenient to bring a couple of 1 lbers on a trip and recharge as needed.

My wife bought this for me last year.  It is really easy to use and you can truly get a full pound of propane into the reuseable tanks.  I bought a second tank; my Little Buddy heater and two tanks fit nicely into a milk crate, which I can secure to the seat of my Eskimo EVO-1 and drag it across the lake (no ATV).  Once there, flip the milk crate on its side, heater on top and fish away!!
"Most men, regardless of cause or need, blink an eye or draw a breath before they pull the trigger. I won't."
John Wayne from "The Shootist"

Offline fishEH

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Jan 16, 2022, 10:17 AM »
I'll third the Flameking refillable system and tanks. I have 4 tanks that I use for my Buddy heater and for portable grill, etc. Being able to fill my own tanks has been convenient and saves money.

Offline HWeber

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #8 on: Jan 16, 2022, 10:20 AM »
Good luck finding any flame King bottles, last place I found them was Scheels and they are out. Maybe runnings will get another shipment

Offline lazyMlazyK

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #9 on: Jan 17, 2022, 10:38 AM »
Refilling my own bottles spooks me, I don't trust myself or the bottles/relief valves enough not to have a "boom" in the garage in the summer.  Won't be using refillable bottles.  Call me chicken, but I just won't do it.

Offline tj_cubin

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10 on: Jan 17, 2022, 11:03 AM »
Mounting the tank on the towbar sounds good to me, like mounting on the tongue of a camper. Though I'm sure the towbar can get bouncy out on the ice. 

Might want to look for a mounting bracket with a cover. I can see it getting pretty sloppy right behind the wheeler.

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #11 on: Jan 17, 2022, 11:55 AM »
Mounting the tank on the towbar sounds good to me, like mounting on the tongue of a camper. Though I'm sure the towbar can get bouncy out on the ice. 

Might want to look for a mounting bracket with a cover. I can see it getting pretty sloppy right behind the wheeler.

And either plug the orifice or attach the house .. I can see water and slush getting in there and causing a slew of issues . But putting that tank on the tow bar seems wrong unless you can not  get in your sled and no other place ..front or rear rack s etc 

Offline fishEH

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #12 on: Jan 17, 2022, 04:44 PM »
You're not refilling the Coleman single use bottles. You're refilling bottles that have been engineered to be refilled, just like a 20lb tank. Do you think twice about getting your gas grill propane tank refilled or exchanged? Same thing with the Flame King kit.
That said, it does look like they're out of stock everywhere right now. Glad I bought 4 last year.

Refilling my own bottles spooks me, I don't trust myself or the bottles/relief valves enough not to have a "boom" in the garage in the summer.  Won't be using refillable bottles.  Call me chicken, but I just won't do it.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.