Author Topic: Diesel heaters  (Read 7600 times)

Offline EricK

• IceShanty Rookie
Diesel heaters
« on: Jan 13, 2022, 04:14 PM »
I hear people talking about switching from propane buddy heaters to a diesel heater in there shanty….. is this the kind of heater they’re talking about? How do you set it up?

Thanks

Offline andress40

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: Diesel heaters
« Reply #1 on: Jan 13, 2022, 05:30 PM »
Buddy heater

Offline Rebelss

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
  • Inventor of Minnow Magic American Patriot
« Reply #2 on: Jan 13, 2022, 05:41 PM »
Yes.....pretty basic set up. Glow plug activated, need a power source to run it off of. Here's a good test vid of one. I've heard they work extremely well. But, Can't tell you that from personal experience, which I prefer to do.

“The mass of men live lives of quiet desperation”  Thoreau

Offline HWeber

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Jan 13, 2022, 05:46 PM »
Looks more complicated than a buddy heater, been left cold too many times by a buddy heater. Wouldn't take a chance on the diesel

Offline jedhead

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Jan 13, 2022, 05:51 PM »
Give me a video with my first American diesel heater and I'll entertain it.

Offline Rebelss

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #5 on: Jan 13, 2022, 05:54 PM »
Buddy heaters can be finicky as hell and put out little heat. Diesels are basic self-sustaining engines once started. I'd foresee no issues with one of those heaters. But some can't even regulate a wood stove.  ::)

Offline GBguy

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #6 on: Jan 13, 2022, 05:58 PM »
They use quite a bit of battery to get started but after that don't use much, they don't use a bunch of diesel and produce a nice dry heat with very little chance of CO poisoning if exhaust is set up properly. But they can also be loud the full pump constantly ticks, and they take up more room than a buddy heater plus the battery requirement. Probably more maintenance involved and more moving pieces to possibly break down.

Offline Ronnie D

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #7 on: Jan 13, 2022, 06:40 PM »
How do you get diesel fuel to flow at 0 degrees ? It's a gel at that point.

Offline Fisherman 1

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Fish..the other white meat
« Reply #8 on: Jan 13, 2022, 06:46 PM »
#1 Winter diesel.

Offline IceAddict87

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #9 on: Jan 13, 2022, 07:29 PM »
Seems like a lot to setup. I went away from using a 20lb cylinder on my buddy heater because it was too much to setup. If you setup and stay in one spot all day I can see this working for you.

Offline Subway4X4

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10 on: Jan 13, 2022, 10:31 PM »
Give me a video with my first American diesel heater and I'll entertain it.
Where are the Buddy heaters made?
Old Noob - Sponsored by my lovely wife.

Offline HardH20Fishin

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #11 on: Jan 14, 2022, 12:32 AM »
Here's the one I just built. I'll be testing it for the first time this coming weekend while camping 3 days on the ice. I have a Frabil Predator set up a sleeper shanty that is my "base camp" for sleeping/cooking at night and that's what I built this for as well as for possible winter camping situations.

The video is a little long and I repeat myself way too much...but hey, I'm no cinematographer....

&t=1350s
You can't buy happiness, but you can buy fishing gear....and that's kind of the same thing.

Offline Kobey

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #12 on: Jan 14, 2022, 06:24 AM »
Not something for me.  I'd end up with diesel all over my hands like I used to with my old gas auger.  I have enough trouble catching fish without adding bad scents to my bait.

Offline Rebelss

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #13 on: Jan 14, 2022, 11:08 AM »
I can definitely see one in my garage/shop though............2 buddy heaters just don't cut it there.

Offline DR.SPECKLER

• Team IceShantyholic
  • find your own fish..
« Reply #14 on: Jan 14, 2022, 11:11 AM »
I can definitely see one in my garage/shop though............2 buddy heaters just don't cut it there.
i got the old dino fuel oil furnace running in the metal shop or id get a china diesel heater.still might for the woodshop.

Offline HardH20Fishin

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #15 on: Jan 21, 2022, 08:36 PM »
Here's the field test of the one I built. Tested it on Flaming Gorge in WY this past weekend. Worked great.

&t=508s
You can't buy happiness, but you can buy fishing gear....and that's kind of the same thing.

Offline jpohlic

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #16 on: Jan 24, 2022, 08:47 AM »
Awesome review, thanks! We have a wood stove in our shanty but I'm considering one of these for next year. Do you have a link to the exact heater you are using?
The more I fish, the less I know about fishing...
Send me a PM if you'd like info about how I built my ice shack

Offline mud_n_fun

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Well? Where's the fish!!
« Reply #17 on: Feb 05, 2022, 06:51 PM »
I bought 2 of these this week. One for ice fishing and one for my 12x16 shed/workshop. I have not used it in my popup yet but I have been doing bench tests. First impression of the unit, THIS THING IS AWESOME! Hot dry air coming out of it, self contained fuel tank(no hauling a 20lber), blowing heat so circulating the air in your shanty, no windows you can't see through(dry heat).

Cons: You have to bring along a battery to power it and the battery weight could be higher than a 20lber(I do day trips and purchased a 24ah lithium battery which cost about as much as the heater but it weighs 7lbs).

If you are handy, you can get into one of the for less than $100 with this.

https://www.vevor.com/products/vevor-5kw-air-diesel-heater-silencer-digital-switch-for-trucks-motor-homes-12v?gclid=Cj0KCQiA3fiPBhCCARIsAFQ8QzXhQcZhBuiYEtFNH45ELAmIlCJcTVS3qLH-FlLPWW47pepxDD5x23oaAiOvEALw_wcB

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.