Author Topic: Fuse size for homemade power box  (Read 1422 times)

Offline rabbitslayer

• IceShanty Rookie
Fuse size for homemade power box
« on: Jan 12, 2022, 06:09 PM »
After watching a bunch of videos and reading what I could find, I’m more confused than when I started.  I want to make a power box with a couple outlets and a built in light.  Primary use would be to power the Clam brand led lights in my flip over(I have 5 of the short ones to install) and charge cell phones.  I have a SLA 12 v 12 amp battery.  2 questions….   What size fuse should I use???   2nd question is about charging this battery. I have a small charger that reads it will charge at either 200mAH or 600 mAH.   Can I charge it with that and about how long would it take to charge it up if it’s like 50% discharged.  Please keep in mind that not only are my math skills lacking but I probably shouldn’t do much with electricity considering I’ve nearly electrocuted myself several times over the years.   Be nice. LOL

Offline krispcritter

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Addict
Re: Fuse size for homemade power box
« Reply #1 on: Jan 12, 2022, 07:22 PM »
As far as a fuse goes, I used a 10 amp fuse. For the chargers, I don't think it will charge the battery fully. I could be wrong, I often am. Ask my wife.
To make a small fortune in business start with a Large one.,

Offline rabbitslayer

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2 on: Jan 12, 2022, 07:43 PM »
As far as a fuse goes, I used a 10 amp fuse. For the chargers, I don't think it will charge the battery fully. I could be wrong, I often am. Ask my wife.
Thanks for the input.  My wife would tell you I shouldn’t be playing with electric. 

Offline Roccus

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Jan 13, 2022, 07:12 AM »
the fuse is there to protect the wiring,in some instances, it is there to protect delicate electronics, those would be fused independent of the main wire fuse... what gauge wiring are you using, wire gauge and load dictates fuse size, LED lights draw very little,the load will dictate the wire size and fuse needed.
as for the charger, it will be a slow charge but will eventually get the job done, it's better than cooking the battery with an over amped charger.
"A mans got to know his limitations"

Offline Rebelss

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
  • Inventor of Minnow Magic American Patriot
« Reply #4 on: Jan 13, 2022, 07:43 AM »
As a rule of thumb on that set-up, I think a 10 amp fuse would be proper. That's about all I can tell ya...
“The mass of men live lives of quiet desperation”  Thoreau

Offline lazyMlazyK

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #5 on: Jan 13, 2022, 10:01 AM »
As far as fuse sizing, you'll need to know your amp draw.  How many amps does each of your lights draw, and how many amps does your phone draw while it's plugged in and charging?  Do you have a multimeter?

Offline Kevin23

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #6 on: Jan 13, 2022, 10:12 AM »
10 amp should be fine, you are just protecting from a fire in the event of a short in this case. 5A would probably work too, doubtful you will pull 5A with your box and a SLA batt.

600mah should be fine, but I cant say I have seen any chargers that low in a long time. You sure it isnt a power supply? 600mah charger would probably take a good 10-12 hours to charge it back up from 50%. A good 1A charger like a noco genius 1 might be a bit better for you.
EYECONICFISHING

Offline rabbitslayer

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #7 on: Jan 13, 2022, 10:56 AM »
Thanks all.  Lots of good info.  I tried to look up the amp draw on those lights but couldn’t find anything.  I will look up the phone.    I thought the charger might be small.   I guess it should be ok from what I’m hearing.   I don’t mind if it has to sit overnight to charge. Here’s a pic of it:

Offline Kevin23

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #8 on: Jan 13, 2022, 01:55 PM »
Charger should work fine
EYECONICFISHING

Offline dsupercat

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9 on: Jan 13, 2022, 02:15 PM »
the fuse is there to protect the wiring,in some instances, it is there to protect delicate electronics, those would be fused independent of the main wire fuse... what gauge wiring are you using, wire gauge and load dictates fuse size, LED lights draw very little,the load will dictate the wire size and fuse needed.
as for the charger, it will be a slow charge but will eventually get the job done, it's better than cooking the battery with an over amped charger.

This spot on the only reason you fuse is to protect wiring and electronics, battery.  You need to size this according to the wiring, current capacity of outlet or devices and the max discharge rate of battery which ever is less.   You just don't put fuses in for a good feeling.  Even know that battery is small if it was to short out you could have an explosion that would cause some damage.  Yes your charger will work if your battery is 50% 600mah or .6 amps it will take 10 hrs to recharge. (12 amp hour battery 50% = 6 amp hour or 6 amps.  charger 600mah or .6 amps,  battery discharge 6amps\ .6amps charger output = 10 hours to charge).

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.