The Iceshanty Ice Auger Board is sponsored by
Nils Master Authorized Sharpening Service

Author Topic: Lite Flite Blade Life?  (Read 1235 times)

Offline BrianF

• Team IceShanty Addict
Lite Flite Blade Life?
« on: Jan 12, 2022, 02:52 PM »
What kind of life should be expected from the 8" model and can these be sharpened (by a diy CAMF like me)?

I know it depends on lots of factors but....  but my Jiffy blades lasted forever and pretty sure will outlast the auger. Shaver blades (on hand augers) for me in the past seemed to last a season or two at most before noticing performance issues.

Offline kpd145

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Shove 'em in
Re: Lite Flite Blade Life?
« Reply #1 on: Jan 12, 2022, 02:57 PM »
I'm on my third season with my original blades. I do not have any dirty ice where I fish.

Auger has been used ALOT

I'm gonna get new blades probably half way through season, my last trip I did feel I actually had to apply a tiny bit of downward force, whereas before, the auger literally pulled the drill through the ice.

I have not a single bad thing to say about the lite flite. I love it!
"Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming, "Wow! What a RIDE!"--Hunter S. Thompson

Offline fishingeek

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #2 on: Jan 14, 2022, 08:55 AM »
Mine is going two season strong and still cuts like butter. Take care of the blades and it should last you for a long time. Get another set of replacement blades to keep as a spare in case of an emergency. You never know when you'll run into dirty ice.

Offline glenwyo

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Jan 18, 2022, 12:24 PM »
What kind of life should be expected from the 8" model and can these be sharpened (by a diy CAMF like me)?

I know it depends on lots of factors but....  but my Jiffy blades lasted forever and pretty sure will outlast the auger. Shaver blades (on hand augers) for me in the past seemed to last a season or two at most before noticing performance issues.
Really depends on whether or not the ice has dirt/sand in it. Many reservoirs in Wyoming get lots of dirt on the ice from strong winds and many shorelines are rock and dirt with few trees. I have drilled through ice where the dirt was not noticeable because it was mixed in a few inches below the ice and my lazer blades where basically useless as soon as it hit the dirt-laced ice. Auger cuts great but a small amount of dirt will ruin them. With "clean" ice I could probably get a couple of seasons before replacing them.

Offline hnd

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: Jan 22, 2022, 05:18 PM »
we had poor luck with shaver blades fishing lots of sandy shallow backwaters.  we switched to chipper and have been happier. 

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.