Author Topic: Ryobi ice auger  (Read 5220 times)

Offline walleymcjigger

• Team IceShanty Regular
Ryobi ice auger
« on: Jan 12, 2022, 11:13 AM »
Interested in getting the Ryobi 40v ice auger. Has anybody used this yet? Pros cons?

Offline hardwater diehard

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
Give a man a fish he eats for a day .Teach a man to ice fish he has an obsession for a lifetime

Offline walleymcjigger

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Ryobi ice auger
« Reply #2 on: Jan 12, 2022, 01:48 PM »
I don't like the single blade either but curious if my Eskimo quantum will fit it. I already have an extra battery and.my gas powered needs some work. Would rather spend the money on a new battery powered one

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #3 on: Jan 12, 2022, 02:06 PM »
I don't like the single blade either but curious if my Eskimo quantum will fit it. I already have an extra battery and.my gas powered needs some work. Would rather spend the money on a new battery powered one

The Ryobi looks to have dual flat blades ..which I like ..and would probably work just fine ..there are better tried and true options ..in the same price range . You would need an adapter I guess to add your auger drill unit as it is probably 22mm ...my guess is the Ryobi is 18mm output shaft . Eskimo makes an adapter for just that purpose.
Give a man a fish he eats for a day .Teach a man to ice fish he has an obsession for a lifetime

Offline Ice_Fly_Guy

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #4 on: Jan 12, 2022, 02:08 PM »
It's so stubby!  I would just go for the 40V Strikemaster.

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #5 on: Jan 12, 2022, 02:47 PM »
DUAL BLADES

Offline walleymcjigger

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Jan 12, 2022, 02:51 PM »
Thanks diehard. I didn't look at picture close enough. I think I'm going to pull the trigger and get it since I have an extra battery already. Also can't start my season until I can get a hole in ice.

Offline Ice_Fly_Guy

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #7 on: Jan 12, 2022, 03:01 PM »
What did you already have the 40V battery for?

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #8 on: Jan 12, 2022, 03:03 PM »
Thanks diehard. I didn't look at picture close enough. I think I'm going to pull the trigger and get it since I have an extra battery already. Also can't start my season until I can get a hole in ice.

Good luck with the purchase..Be sure and do a review . I would think the Clam Auger Extesion may work to get height. HD has them as well lil pricey ..but I bet they would price match in the chat or at the store ..one stop shopping .

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Clam-16-in-Ice-Auger-Extension-9561/314664919

Offline walleymcjigger

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9 on: Jan 12, 2022, 03:04 PM »
I got a mower with a 6ah battery this fall

Offline Kevin23

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #10 on: Jan 12, 2022, 03:38 PM »
DUAL BLADES

Looks like eskimo quantum power blades too, bet ardisam made the bit
EYECONICFISHING

Offline walleymcjigger

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #11 on: Jan 12, 2022, 04:00 PM »
Let's hope they are the same blades since I just spent 35$ on new ones

Offline RapShack

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #12 on: Jan 12, 2022, 04:16 PM »
Looks like eskimo quantum power blades too, bet ardisam made the bit

That's the same bit that's been on every cheap Chinese gas auger I've ever seen.

I'm a man, but I can change, If I have to, I guess.

Offline Iceassin

• Team IceShantyholic
  • The secret to fishing...fish where the fish are.
« Reply #13 on: Jan 12, 2022, 04:26 PM »
This is the first I am hearing about it ..my concern is the height of the auger..looks to have Flat/Mora blades would not be my first choice but nice to have options

https://www.homedepot.com/p/RYOBI-40-Volt-HP-Ice-Auger-with-8-in-Bit-and-4-0-Ah-Battery-and-Charger-RY40712VNM/318428403?mtc=Shopping-B-F_D28I-B-D28I-028_033_CHORE-MULTI-NA-Feed-PLA-NA-NA-BASE_SHP&cm_mmc=Shopping-B-F_D28I-B-D28I-028_033_CHORE-MULTI-NA-Feed-PLA-NA-NA-BASE_SHP-71700000047860582-58700007491582131-92700067402247128&gclid=e2c689cea95a1b625195e81183d949a6&gclsrc=3p.ds&msclkid=e2c689cea95a1b625195e81183d949a6#overlay

Really? I use lasers and I am considering going to a "flat" blade. Those things grab at the bottom like no tomorrow. Cut like hell...but damn!!!  :o I can give up a little speed to save my wrists. Part of the problem might be because I sometimes do it one-handed if I'm hole hopping. Maybe I should use the handle on the drill more often.  ;)
"Si quaeris peninsulam amoenam circumspice."

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #14 on: Jan 12, 2022, 04:30 PM »
Forgot the the comma ..I really like Mora/shaver/flat

This is the first I am hearing about it ..my concern is the height of the auger..looks to have Flat/Mora blades, would not be my first choice but nice to have options

Offline Kevin23

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #15 on: Jan 12, 2022, 05:29 PM »
Really? I use lasers and I am considering going to a "flat" blade. Those things grab at the bottom like no tomorrow. Cut like hell...but damn!!!  :o I can give up a little speed to save my wrists. Part of the problem might be because I sometimes do it one-handed if I'm hole hopping. Maybe I should use the handle on the drill more often.  ;)

If you drill one handed you wont like flat blades unless you have a power point. If you are not holding it straight and putting slight downward pressure, they tend to walk across smooth ice... right into your foot if you arent careful
EYECONICFISHING

Offline Iceassin

• Team IceShantyholic
  • The secret to fishing...fish where the fish are.
« Reply #16 on: Jan 12, 2022, 05:48 PM »
If you drill one handed you wont like flat blades unless you have a power point. If you are not holding it straight and putting slight downward pressure, they tend to walk across smooth ice... right into your foot if you arent careful

Good to know. Guess I'll stick to the lasers...and use 2 hands a little more often.  ;)
"Si quaeris peninsulam amoenam circumspice."

Offline walleymcjigger

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #17 on: Jan 13, 2022, 06:55 PM »
Got it on order. I will be the test pilot on this one

Offline slipperybob

• Team IceShantyholic
  • LX5 or die...maybe extra battery.
« Reply #18 on: Jan 13, 2022, 10:35 PM »
53.98 ft lbs of torque

x 12 = 648 inches of torque...hmmmmmmmmmmmm .
For more information read my MN nice journal

Offline RapShack

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #19 on: Jan 14, 2022, 04:05 AM »
53.98 ft lbs of torque

x 12 = 648 inches of torque...hmmmmmmmmmmmm .

Gear reduction I would imagine, looks like a gearbox between the power head and the bit.  Their 18v earth auger is interesting as well, but might be geared down so low it would be really slow.
I'm a man, but I can change, If I have to, I guess.

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #20 on: Jan 14, 2022, 05:33 AM »

This video looks painful ..hope the OPs new purchase is a lot smother drilling

Offline zcm_82

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #21 on: Jan 14, 2022, 05:55 AM »
12 holes, on  40v rig? That sounds awful for the price. 😬 That bit looks really short, too.

I'm using an el cheapo undersized Skil 20v on a 7" hand auger and I can do like 20-30 holes through 10-ish" of ice on a 4ah battery. 

Looks like a steer clear product, imho.

Offline coolasice

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #22 on: Jan 14, 2022, 06:21 AM »
12 holes, on  40v rig? That sounds awful for the price. 😬 That bit looks really short, too.

I'm using an el cheapo undersized Skil 20v on a 7" hand auger and I can do like 20-30 holes through 10-ish" of ice on a 4ah battery. 

They're using the earth auger bit....   might be a big difference if they used the ice bit..

Offline walleymcjigger

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #23 on: Jan 14, 2022, 11:43 AM »
I'm also 5'8" on a good day so not too worried about hieght and have a 6 ah battery as well already. As of now I can't drill 1 hole so can't be worse than that

Offline Kevin23

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #24 on: Jan 14, 2022, 09:14 PM »

Thats not the ice auger. I'm surprised it drilled one, let alone 12.
EYECONICFISHING

Offline A man called horse

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #25 on: Jan 30, 2022, 10:35 PM »
Thanks for posting this. Im already invested in multiple 18 and 40 volt Ryobi batteries & tools. So it may make cheaper entry for me. Got to ck. the total weight. Hopefully much lighter than my gas Barracuda 10”. Put my shoulder out last week lifting the sled and auger as one unit into the truck bed.

Offline Rebelss

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
  • Inventor of Minnow Magic American Patriot
« Reply #26 on: Jan 31, 2022, 07:52 AM »

X 2.   Earth augers RPM's are much lower than ice augers. Putting an ice bit on it, what do you gain from any other electric? Sure as heck don't want to use the dirt auger on ice, believe me.
“The mass of men live lives of quiet desperation”  Thoreau

Offline A man called horse

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #27 on: Jan 31, 2022, 02:44 PM »
Just weighed my old Eskimo Barracuda. Royobi auger is the same weight. No upside there.

Offline walleymcjigger

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #28 on: Jan 31, 2022, 03:45 PM »
Yes one of the cons of this unit. It not very light weight but comparable to gas auger

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.