The Ice Fishing MA is board

Author Topic: HOW FAST YOUR LAKE WILL FREEZE? ...  (Read 2147 times)

Offline Jig4perch

• Team IceShanty Regular
HOW FAST YOUR LAKE WILL FREEZE? ...
« on: Jan 11, 2022, 05:02 PM »

Guys,

thought you guys would appreciate this link to help calculate lake freeze rates based on average daily temperatures.   As you know this is NOT a substitute for on site visual and spud workl 

https://www.outdoorcanada.ca/how-fast-does-your-lake-make-ice/

'There are several highly scientific methods and mathematical formulas that you can use to predict the growth of ice on your favorite lake, and they’re all essentially based on one controlling factor called freezing degree days that takes into consideration the air temperature, wind speed and something called radiational cooling.

To determine freezing degree days and how fast your favourite lake will build up ice, start by taking the average temperature (in degrees Fahrenheit) over the past 24 hours.  So, let’s say that the daytime high yesterday was 30 F and the night time low was 20 F.  This means the average temperature was 25 F.  Now, subtract the average temperature (25 F) from the freezing point of water (32 F) and we get 7 freezing degree days.

If the day time high was 20 F, on the other hand, and the night time low was 0 F, the average temperature would have been 10 F, giving us 22 freezing degree days (32 F – 10 F = 22 FDDs).

See how simple it is?

Now, based on the studies that have been done, once a thin sheet of ice has formed on a lake, it will typically increase at the rate of one inch / 15 freezing degree days (FDDS)."

Weight4 Ice2fishon

Offline hardwater diehard

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
Re: HOW FAST YOUR LAKE WILL FREEZE? ...
« Reply #1 on: Jan 11, 2022, 05:15 PM »
Lots of info to explore

http://lakeice.squarespace.com/
Give a man a fish he eats for a day .Teach a man to ice fish he has an obsession for a lifetime

Offline THE JIGGER

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Member of the GODS (Grumpy Old DudeS)
« Reply #2 on: Jan 11, 2022, 05:17 PM »
Guys,

thought you guys would appreciate this link to help calculate lake freeze rates based on average daily temperatures.   As you know this is NOT a substitute for on site visual and spud workl 

https://www.outdoorcanada.ca/how-fast-does-your-lake-make-ice/

'There are several highly scientific methods and mathematical formulas that you can use to predict the growth of ice on your favorite lake, and they’re all essentially based on one controlling factor called freezing degree days that takes into consideration the air temperature, wind speed and something called radiational cooling.

To determine freezing degree days and how fast your favourite lake will build up ice, start by taking the average temperature (in degrees Fahrenheit) over the past 24 hours.  So, let’s say that the daytime high yesterday was 30 F and the night time low was 20 F.  This means the average temperature was 25 F.  Now, subtract the average temperature (25 F) from the freezing point of water (32 F) and we get 7 freezing degree days.

If the day time high was 20 F, on the other hand, and the night time low was 0 F, the average temperature would have been 10 F, giving us 22 freezing degree days (32 F – 10 F = 22 FDDs).

See how simple it is?

Now, based on the studies that have been done, once a thin sheet of ice has formed on a lake, it will typically increase at the rate of one inch / 15 freezing degree days (FDDS)."

Assuming no snow cover.
MA

Offline mikez

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Jan 11, 2022, 05:22 PM »
All that math gives me a popsicle headache.
Nothing beats experience which is one reason why I have gotten into a rut of only fishing the same ponds year after year.
After 40 years I can "feel" when it's ready.
What that really means is I can "feel" when it's worth going down with the spud to check it.

Offline regulator

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Jan 11, 2022, 05:25 PM »
Very cool! Thanks for posting.

Offline TheJigginJerk

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Jan 11, 2022, 05:33 PM »
That equals around 1.5” a day for weather like today.

Offline Rebelss

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
  • Inventor of Minnow Magic American Patriot
« Reply #6 on: Jan 11, 2022, 05:40 PM »
For a visual chart...(click on it)

“The mass of men live lives of quiet desperation”  Thoreau

Offline fishinator

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #7 on: Jan 11, 2022, 05:55 PM »
I live on the southern end of the ice belt so I pay close attention to the ice and weather. So far I have found the "freezing day calculator" is fairly accurate. 
  Of course you should always check for yourself but it gives you a good idea.
Dude.....Dude!! Greg! Wake up! You're on fire!

Offline lowaccord66

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #8 on: Jan 11, 2022, 06:17 PM »
Noaa forecasts this.  Hard to find but if you look you can find their forecasts. 

Heres a teaser:

Offline river_scum

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • hook n cook
« Reply #9 on: Jan 11, 2022, 06:24 PM »
lot of factors involved.  every lake is different. stained waters soak up sun more.  the longer the days get the harder it is to make ice also.
real fishermen don't ask "where you catch those"

OANN the real story

- member here since -2003- IN.

Offline wardo888

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10 on: Jan 11, 2022, 06:36 PM »
I use this almost every year for first ice. It always helps making the decision to drive an hour to my spot. Yes, snow cover and stained water and other conditions affect the ice. But it’s a great tool to use if you can’t check yourself and need an idea of how thick, or thin, the ice might  be before heading out.

Offline fishermantim

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #11 on: Jan 12, 2022, 10:40 AM »
if the daytime high is fewer degrees above 32 than the night time low is below 32, then ice will continue to be made.
So on a day with a high of 36 and a night low of 20, the day is 4 degrees above while the night is 12 degrees below.
Then consider the length of time/hours that the temps are above 32 (usually 7-10 during the day vs. 14-17 at night)

For me, the start is when the temps are in the 20's for highs for consecutive days. With little/no wind, you could get up to 1 inch per day during these days.

And of course, as mentioned earlier, it doesn't include the affects of snow cover, which lowers the numbers...
"I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy" - the Existential Blues

I am a legend in my own mind!

Offline Uppervalley Kid

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #12 on: Jan 12, 2022, 11:14 AM »
 Not fast enough
....¸><((((º>
.··´¯`·.¸.·><((((º>
·.¸.·´¯`·...¸.·><((((º>

Offline FreshwaterPhil

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • FreshwaterPhil.com - Montreal fishing
« Reply #13 on: Jan 12, 2022, 11:19 AM »
The smallest water bodies I fish go from open water to 3.5 inches with 3 nights at -10C (14F). Were talking about ponds and small canals with no current, and max depths of about 12 feet.

Some of the bigger / deep lakes I fish in Southern Quebec don't freeze safe until February, common to see people trolling for landlocked salmon and trout on Memphremagog in January.

Offline stripernut

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Tight Lines!
« Reply #14 on: Jan 12, 2022, 12:36 PM »
Never forget when I was a kid the lake we lived on went from open to safe ice overnight! 4+" of clear "black" ice... Almost everyone that lived on the lake came out on the ice, I spent a bunch of time looking for fish under the ice, it was so clear...

Offline Knot there yet

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Sub Zero Mafia Ice Team
« Reply #15 on: Jan 17, 2022, 06:05 PM »
Walked out on 3” Saturday in very cold temps. Let’s just say the guys out there Friday we’re very brave or lucky. Just check as you go. Always think it’s not safe till you know my $.02

Offline BurningDaylight

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #16 on: Jan 20, 2022, 10:36 AM »
Great article.

Now is there a similar one for the melting/unfreezing of a pond/lake?

Offline TRIPPLE B

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #17 on: Jan 21, 2022, 05:53 AM »
very neat information.

Offline Rangerboats391

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #18 on: Jan 21, 2022, 08:10 AM »
thanks for the info

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor