Author Topic: Off to A Good Start!  (Read 6333 times)

Offline TeacherPreacher

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: Off to A Good Start!
« Reply #30 on: Jan 19, 2022, 08:41 AM »
Taxi,
Will keep you and your parents in my prayers!  Have two buddies who's wives are dealing with dementia. So sad!
Teach
Teacher Preacher
Life is short! Do all that you love to do as often as you can with those that you love!

Offline taxi1

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #31 on: Jan 19, 2022, 10:06 AM »
Taxi,
Will keep you and your parents in my prayers!  Have two buddies who's wives are dealing with dementia. So sad!
Teach

It's a cruel disease! My mother's main problems are she's had a stroke, a heart attack, and she has a Parkinson's like disease that has precluded her ability to walk normally. Without help she will lose her balance and fall, and she has several times.
I live in the midwest now but have fond memories of fishing in New England as a kid.

Offline taxi1

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #32 on: Jan 19, 2022, 10:13 AM »
Taxi - very sorry to hear that. My mother in law has suffered from dementia for the last 6 years, so I understand the physical and mental strain it can put on everyone. Your fam is in my thoughts.

Thank you.

I believe by increasing our life spans via medical breakthroughs we have created new problems. As we get older we have a higher propensity for cancer and dementia.

The average life expectancy in 1900 was only the mid 40's, and cancer and dementia was almost unheard of. It was diseases that we've controlled or eradicated via vaccinations or other medical innovations that people were fearful of. My great grandmother lost her first four children to those diseases.

So is living a long time a good thing if you live in misery?

O.K. enough. Back to icefishing.

Keep us posted Hex!
I live in the midwest now but have fond memories of fishing in New England as a kid.

Offline CL_Outdoors

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #33 on: Jan 19, 2022, 10:44 AM »

Thank you.

I believe by increasing our life spans via medical breakthroughs we have created new problems. As we get older we have a higher propensity for cancer and dementia.

The average life expectancy in 1900 was only the mid 40's, and cancer and dementia was almost unheard of. It was diseases that we've controlled or eradicated via vaccinations or other medical innovations that people were fearful of. My great grandmother lost her first four children to those diseases.

So is living a long time a good thing if you live in misery?

O.K. enough. Back to icefishing.

Keep us posted Hex!

Agreed. I feel like if the ones suffering from debilitating conditions like these were aware of their physical and mental state, they'd wonder what the point was.

I'll put a tip up out for ya this weekend. If the DNR asks me why I've got 4 lines in, I'll say one is for you LOL.
Limit your kill - Don't kill your limit!

Offline Hexagenia51

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #34 on: Jan 19, 2022, 01:05 PM »
Taxi, here you go a picture of yesterday evening’s take. Still tough bite got a little better just before dark as usual. Enjoy Hex

Offline taxi1

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #35 on: Jan 19, 2022, 03:11 PM »
Agreed. I feel like if the ones suffering from debilitating conditions like these were aware of their physical and mental state, they'd wonder what the point was.

I'll put a tip up out for ya this weekend. If the DNR asks me why I've got 4 lines in, I'll say one is for you LOL.

You'd get a response from Mr. Green jeans of, "Well that's a new one."  :roflmao:

Offline Hexagenia51

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #36 on: Jan 25, 2022, 08:12 AM »
Fished Chain O Lakes Park yesterday. Still tough bite out there, but ended up with eight decent gills. Fished 26 foot of water and caught them at about 23 feet. They would follow it up and then just sit there and look, if you worked it just right a few would smack it. Here’s a picture for you Taxi! Hex

Offline Hexagenia51

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #37 on: Jan 25, 2022, 08:15 AM »
I miss counted I ended with nine gills! Hex

Offline Graygills22

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #38 on: Jan 25, 2022, 09:15 AM »
Good catch!  Keep at it!   :)

Offline Hexagenia51

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #39 on: Jan 30, 2022, 04:18 PM »
Tried twice to post a picture, something isn’t working. I’ll see what this will do. I had a tough bite this morning, ended up with 5 nice gills and 4 average. Hex I can’t count more like 4 nice ones and 3 average.

Offline Hexagenia51

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #40 on: Jan 30, 2022, 04:21 PM »
Here’s a picture I hope! Hex
Finally

Offline taxi1

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #41 on: Jan 30, 2022, 04:22 PM »
Tried twice to post a picture, something isn’t working. I’ll see what this will do. I had a tough bite this morning, ended up with 5 nice gills and 4 average. Hex

If you can't post it email it to me or PM it and I'll post it for you. My email address is: [email protected]

Offline zcm_82

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #42 on: Jan 30, 2022, 05:02 PM »
Dinkfest here this morning. I was out from 730-11am. The bite got pretty slow after about 9:30, but I was still picking up the odd fish until I quit.

Offline Hexagenia51

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #43 on: Feb 01, 2022, 12:48 PM »
Was walleye and perch fishing this morning when a 38” muskie hit my jiggin spoon on the way down, I thought it was hung on the ice, started jerking it to free it and the pole just doubled over. About 45 minutes later and a monumental fight we tried to get him out of the hole 4 or 5 times and finally got him out on the ice. The pole was about half the size of the fish and I only had 4 pound test line, I must have brought him up twenty times before getting him out of the hole. Here’s a couple pictures! Hex

Offline Graygills22

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #44 on: Feb 01, 2022, 01:10 PM »
Nice fish!  :o

Offline taxi1

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #45 on: Feb 01, 2022, 02:01 PM »
Was walleye and perch fishing this morning when a 38” muskie hit my jiggin spoon on the way down, I thought it was hung on the ice, started jerking it to free it and the pole just doubled over. About 45 minutes later and a monumental fight we tried to get him out of the hole 4 or 5 times and finally got him out on the ice. The pole was about half the size of the fish and I only had 4 pound test line, I must have brought him up twenty times before getting him out of the hole. Here’s a couple pictures! Hex

Awesome!

Offline ftwwalleye

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #46 on: Feb 02, 2022, 06:09 AM »
Way to go Mike! That is pretty epic. What a great day
Beer is proof that god loves us-ben franklin

Offline river_scum

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • hook n cook
« Reply #47 on: Feb 02, 2022, 07:50 AM »
great job on the fight! :clap:

i didnt know we had lakes stocked with musky and walleyes.
real fishermen don't ask "where you catch those"

OANN the real story

- member here since -2003- IN.

Offline PoleCat

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • IceFsh'nNut
« Reply #48 on: Feb 02, 2022, 07:54 AM »
WTG on the battle. Nice fish, did you cash in on any perch or eyes? :tipup:
HoosierPoleCat member since 2003

The high price of Freedom is a cost paid by a Brave few... Semper Fi

Offline Hexagenia51

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #49 on: Feb 02, 2022, 08:21 AM »
Only caught a small crappie, other than the muskie! Hex

Offline taxi1

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #50 on: Feb 02, 2022, 06:12 PM »
Only caught a small crappie, other than the muskie! Hex

Probably 'cause that musky was around!

Offline Lee1977

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #51 on: Feb 02, 2022, 06:47 PM »
Finally got to see the picture. Nice fish Hex, must of been a rush trying to get him topside! Congratulations.

Offline TeacherPreacher

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #52 on: Feb 03, 2022, 08:45 AM »
Good job Hex!
Teach
Teacher Preacher
Life is short! Do all that you love to do as often as you can with those that you love!

Offline rivereddy

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #53 on: Feb 03, 2022, 09:35 AM »
Agreed, that's one rough road to go.  Strength to you sir.

rivereddy

Offline Hexagenia51

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #54 on: Feb 03, 2022, 11:53 AM »
Thanks guys I’m still amazed that I landed that thing on 4 pound test line and that miniature pole. Come to think of it I bought that combo from Walmart! Lol That little reel just kept screaming every time he sounded which must have been way over twenty times, then about 5 tries at getting him into the hole(no gaff), we finally iced him. Thank god I had my 8 inch auger! The little jiggin spoon was hooked right in the corner of his upper jaw and that kept him from biting me off. Toughest successful fight I’ve ever had, it was fun though! Hex

Offline taxi1

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #55 on: Feb 03, 2022, 04:58 PM »
Thanks guys I’m still amazed that I landed that thing on 4 pound test line and that miniature pole. Come to think of it I bought that combo from Walmart! Lol That little reel just kept screaming every time he sounded which must have been way over twenty times, then about 5 tries at getting him into the hole(no gaff), we finally iced him. Thank god I had my 8 inch auger! The little jiggin spoon was hooked right in the corner of his upper jaw and that kept him from biting me off. Toughest successful fight I’ve ever had, it was fun though! Hex

Just don't turn into one of those musky purists on us!  ;D

Offline Hexagenia51

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #56 on: Feb 03, 2022, 05:06 PM »
Just don't turn into one of those musky purists on us!  ;D
No chance of that Taxi! I could care less if I ever hook one of them again! Lol Hex

Offline taxi1

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #57 on: Feb 03, 2022, 05:08 PM »
No chance of that Taxi! I could care less if I ever hook one of them again! Lol Hex
:roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao:

And I don't care if I ever mount one or do a replica of one agin. A lot of work!

Got a call on a northern pike. When they heard my new price of $20.00 per inch I don't think that fish is coming here. And I don't need it.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.