The ice fishing Michigan board sponsored by:

Sponsor this board

Author Topic: Gull Lake 2022 Ice & Fishing Reports  (Read 20645 times)

Offline DR.SPECKLER

• Team IceShantyholic
  • find your own fish..
Re: Gull Lake 2022 Ice & Fishing Reports
« Reply #30 on: Jan 27, 2022, 03:43 AM »
Hahaha.yep sounds about right.minus the smelt,beer,loud music and getting spudded in part.trying to get a first trip out there soon tho.

Offline Iceassin

• Team IceShantyholic
  • The secret to fishing...fish where the fish are.
« Reply #31 on: Jan 27, 2022, 03:57 AM »
Dont worry, its not white.But the one I am getting is pretty common out there. BTW Dr. Speckler fishes in a white shanty & catches thousands of Smelt every night & loves it when other folks spud him in. He likes loud music & really enjoys folks coming over to visit him  while he reels in triples all night long. He even has extra beer to share . Heck of a nice guy  ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D  ;D

:roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao:
"Si quaeris peninsulam amoenam circumspice."

Offline Fish Killa

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Fish on!
« Reply #32 on: Jan 27, 2022, 06:16 AM »
:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:
I'm not as good as I once was but I am good once as I ever was.

Offline odabe

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #33 on: Jan 28, 2022, 08:01 PM »
Are there quads out on the north end?

Offline Smeltman

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #34 on: Feb 01, 2022, 07:17 PM »
Well this weather is going to make a slushy mess on the lake :'( :'(. I hope and pray we don't get all the snow they say we could get.

Offline Jsheteron

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #35 on: Feb 03, 2022, 06:08 PM »
Thinking about heading there 4 Feb. Any hints.  Will be going to the north end

Offline smeltbuster

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #36 on: Feb 03, 2022, 11:32 PM »
Find at least 65' depth & get as far away from others as you can ,especially if you have a green light. I cannot stress enough how important it is to get away from the crowd. Gull is not a lake where Smelt Cities produce big #s of fish. If you have a rangefinder ,use it & get at least 150 yds. away from anyone else. It amazes me how many guys every night come out & want to set up 50 yds. away, & then wonder why they have low catch #s. Or as we seen tonight, guys come out a 1/2 hr. after dark & set up near someone w/ a green light & fire up a gas auger & punch 15 holes. Very disrespectful. If you are going to come out after dark,keep your distance, & if you dont have your own green light, go buy a good one. Seen 3 parties tonight spud a good friend in. Total disrespect is running rampant on the lake.  Pic is Thurs. nights catch. Smelt Jr. & me , 255

"Yes officer, my chocolate lab did shoot me,with my brothers 12 gauge"!  11-8-87,true story!          "Sorry were late mom,Chris & me just got done with a cow hunt,we each got a big black Angus with our muzzleloaders"!  (the Christmas eve cow hunt w/ my son; 2004 !

Offline Jsheteron

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #37 on: Feb 04, 2022, 06:31 AM »
Thank you for the info.  I appreciate  it and will use it

Offline Fish Killa

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Fish on!
« Reply #38 on: Feb 04, 2022, 08:02 AM »
Find at least 65' depth & get as far away from others as you can ,especially if you have a green light. I cannot stress enough how important it is to get away from the crowd. Gull is not a lake where Smelt Cities produce big #s of fish. If you have a rangefinder ,use it & get at least 150 yds. away from anyone else. It amazes me how many guys every night come out & want to set up 50 yds. away, & then wonder why they have low catch #s. Or as we seen tonight, guys come out a 1/2 hr. after dark & set up near someone w/ a green light & fire up a gas auger & punch 15 holes. Very disrespectful. If you are going to come out after dark,keep your distance, & if you dont have your own green light, go buy a good one. Seen 3 parties tonight spud a good friend in. Total disrespect is running rampant on the lake.  Pic is Thurs. nights catch. Smelt Jr. & me , 255

Total disrespect is running rampant on all lakes. I was in my one man flip last weekend and had two guys surround me with holes at 10' away. They came from 100' away right to my shanty and started boring holes. Funny part I was catching nothing. My shanty didn't move for 3 hours because it was so cozy warm inside I didn't want to get out. This was Cass county near the Van Buren line. Same thing at an Allegan county lake the weekend before. Late arrivals set two shanties less than 20' away from me on both sides. They actually helped me by moving fish. I ended that trip with 21 gills 7" plus.
I'm not as good as I once was but I am good once as I ever was.

Offline Bassslayer87

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #39 on: Feb 04, 2022, 11:03 AM »
Anyone know how much ice at the north end boat launch?

Offline smeltbuster

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #40 on: Feb 04, 2022, 01:01 PM »
Anyone know how much ice at the north end boat launch?
No I dont. Checked baseline last night on the way home & guys busted up the shore ice pretty bad.
"Yes officer, my chocolate lab did shoot me,with my brothers 12 gauge"!  11-8-87,true story!          "Sorry were late mom,Chris & me just got done with a cow hunt,we each got a big black Angus with our muzzleloaders"!  (the Christmas eve cow hunt w/ my son; 2004 !

Offline tip ups

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • never enough!!
« Reply #41 on: Feb 04, 2022, 02:19 PM »
yep been the same way for pike at the bible  conf. for the last few years  now it don't matter what time u get there in the am come light u have tip ups 10 yds from urs and there keeping hammer handles whaaaaaaaat a waste we useed to get 36" to over 40" keep the one and be gone now just a waste of time
Maken time to dip your line. Flag up!!

Offline Smeltman

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #42 on: Feb 06, 2022, 08:54 AM »
Two good smelt nights this weekend.  And one nice pike 29". Thanks Phil for helping land it. It was nice and quite out there and people seemed to be spread out. Shore ice does seem to be broken up  though. Hope it will harden up during the week. It looks like people are taking quads out on north boat launch.

Offline Bassslayer87

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #43 on: Feb 06, 2022, 10:47 AM »
Fished the boat launch last night. Marked fish all night but they were very tight lipped. Me and thr daughter ended with about 35. Lots of snowmobiles and 4 wheelers running around on that end. And a ton of people. Probably about 100 shanties.

Offline smeltbuster

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #44 on: Feb 06, 2022, 12:32 PM »
Been doing decent fishing every night. Did miss this past Wed. . Not posting to many #s anymore ,but the catches are good. Right now,for 23 trips for the year,I am about 125 fish ahead of what I had for a total last year w/ 27 trips. I attribute a lot of the success to my new light, new custom built 58" Patriot rod, some hot new colors on my Gull Lake Smelt Factory Ice Flies, & getting way far away from everyone else. On nights when others set up close , w/ green lights ,the bite pretty much shuts down by 9:00 p.m.. With no one close by, the fish are usually still biting when I leave ! Several nights I have had well over 100 fish & some nights approaching 200. As for the green light it is an "Aluma-Glo Super-Brite 4800 C". I put it 24"-30" down,& 6' from my fishing hole. Most of my fish have been biting 8'-20' down. I dont mess around w/ the high fish too much,or the really deep ones. Later in the evening around 9:00 p.m., try working those thick schools 25'-32' down. Been pulling lots of Doubles every night on those fish.  Rarely, do I fish past 10:00 p.m. & most nights its around 9:00 when I quit.

Offline smeltbuster

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #45 on: Feb 07, 2022, 11:48 PM »
Fishing is still producing some fantastic #s for me. Sun. nite the bite started at 6:54 p.m., Mon. nite it was 6:33. Just a skiff of snow on the ice @ 10:30 p.m. Mon. nite.  The bite started to slow down around 9:00 p.m..  Lots of ice.

Offline skibumm100

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #46 on: Feb 08, 2022, 09:01 AM »
Thanks for the report SB. I just got my parking pass in the mail the other day so I may give it a shot early in the evening. Good to know you don't need to stay out all night just to get some fish. Gotta get up for work the next morning.

Offline smeltbuster

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #47 on: Feb 08, 2022, 12:55 PM »
Thanks for the report SB. I just got my parking pass in the mail the other day so I may give it a shot early in the evening. Good to know you don't need to stay out all night just to get some fish. Gotta get up for work the next morning.
Most nights the bite is slowing by 9:00 p.m.  , & if they do bite past that,you usually will have a good mess at 9. Even if I quit at 9:00 p.m., by the time I get off the ice & drive home,its usually 10:30. & I only have a 15 minute drive !

Offline WaterfowlNut!

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #48 on: Feb 12, 2022, 03:02 PM »
Wondering if anybody knows if the entire lake is safe for a snow machine? :tipup:
Tight lines everyone!

Offline Smeltman

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #49 on: Feb 12, 2022, 11:25 PM »
I believe so. A few running around.  :thumbsup:

Offline smeltbuster

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #50 on: Feb 13, 2022, 12:24 AM »
Lots of snow machines out on Sat. nite. Pretty much fishing Baseline rd. but seeing lots of shanties up at the north end. Dont know what they are doing,but shanties there every night.  As for me, I am laying low & racking up some decent #s. 211 Sat night fishing by myself. 1 fish under 3,000 for 30 trips this year. Had I known I was that close tonight, I would have fished for another 15 seconds !

Offline Smeltman

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #51 on: Feb 13, 2022, 12:40 AM »
Wow. Good job Smeltbuster. You killed them. You deserve a great night. After what some guy's have done.  :bow: :clap:

Offline Smeltman

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #52 on: Feb 13, 2022, 12:46 AM »
You smashed your record.  I wish I could of been there.

Offline odabe

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #53 on: Feb 13, 2022, 04:05 PM »
Way go go Smeltbuster. What a difference from a couple of years ago eh.

Offline smeltbuster

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #54 on: Feb 15, 2022, 11:32 AM »
Way go go Smeltbuster. What a difference from a couple of years ago eh.
Definitely ! I have made a  lot of changes in the way I fish & am racking up decent #s every night. Right now I have 5 trips more than I did last year & 1,500 more fish than last years total. Last night I had 150 Smelt Jr. had 160,Sun. Night was 169 by myself. Last night our 3 man total was 414 fish. Had a newbie w/us that had been out by himself 2 times & had caught 2 fish. Last night he had 104 fishing w/ me ! Also, as I have said before, I give almost all of my fish away. Last night they went home w/ the Newbie. If I do bring them home, I clean & bag them & then give them to folks that cant fish. I am not sharing this info to get a pat on the back for helping others. I am sharing it so people dont think I am way over my possession limit. I get asked about that a lot, like every day. Chances are real good that if you fish w/ me,you will be taking home my catch or at least a good share of it .

Offline fishin4smelt

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #55 on: Feb 15, 2022, 12:01 PM »
Way to keep on ‘em Smeltbuster. Got out last night on the North end. I ended up with 159 and my buddy had 132. It was a pretty consistent bite with some flurries of fish occasionally. Going to hit it again tonight before this crazy weather pattern begins…

Offline dgb

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Gill Time!
« Reply #56 on: Feb 15, 2022, 06:45 PM »
Definitely ! I have made a  lot of changes in the way I fish & am racking up decent #s every night. Right now I have 5 trips more than I did last year & 1,500 more fish than last years total. Last night I had 150 Smelt Jr. had 160,Sun. Night was 169 by myself. Last night our 3 man total was 414 fish. Had a newbie w/us that had been out by himself 2 times & had caught 2 fish. Last night he had 104 fishing w/ me ! Also, as I have said before, I give almost all of my fish away. Last night they went home w/ the Newbie. If I do bring them home, I clean & bag them & then give them to folks that cant fish. I am not sharing this info to get a pat on the back for helping others. I am sharing it so people dont think I am way over my possession limit. I get asked about that a lot, like every day. Chances are real good that if you fish w/ me,you will be taking home my catch or at least a good share of it .

Offline dgb

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Gill Time!
« Reply #57 on: Feb 15, 2022, 06:46 PM »
Hey Phil,
What do you do with all those smelt?

Offline dgb

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Gill Time!
« Reply #58 on: Feb 15, 2022, 06:50 PM »
I got a few spots away from the crowd, usually just keep the bigger ones for tip up bait these days. Better fish to eat then fish French fries just curious?

Offline smeltbuster

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #59 on: Feb 15, 2022, 10:34 PM »
Hey Phil,
What do you do with all those smelt?
  ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.