Author Topic: Flip-Over Shack & Diesel Heater  (Read 2083 times)

Offline lazyMlazyK

• IceShanty Rookie
Flip-Over Shack & Diesel Heater
« on: Jan 03, 2022, 09:51 AM »
I've been seeing a decent number of folks on a FB group starting to use small diesel heaters in their flip-over shacks instead of propane heaters. Looking at the $150-$200 cost of these things, and hearing about their efficiency has me considering one in the future, especially considering the cost/availability of propane these days.

Does anyone use a small diesel heater in their flip-over shack? Or maybe you know someone that does? Any opinions?  The exhaust gets piped outside.  The heater itself looks like a fairly small footprint.

Offline DR.SPECKLER

• Team IceShantyholic
  • find your own fish..
Re: Flip-Over Shack & Diesel Heater
« Reply #1 on: Jan 03, 2022, 10:58 AM »
Didnt know they existed but might get one for my little shop.read it sips diesel and uses next to nothing on good 12v deep cycle battery.cheap china product but if i get a few years out of it.

Offline Rebelss

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
  • Inventor of Minnow Magic American Patriot
« Reply #2 on: Jan 03, 2022, 11:38 AM »
I think they'd be stinky....I can't stand the smell of diesel smoke in winter. Worked on semi's in the winter right after high school, and that's all I smelled working out in the cold all day long.  :sick:

Looking at some vids on them, looks like they aren't stinky and do work pretty darned well...this was the best of the vids on them. They may be the new cat's meow....

“The mass of men live lives of quiet desperation”  Thoreau

Offline DR.SPECKLER

• Team IceShantyholic
  • find your own fish..
« Reply #3 on: Jan 03, 2022, 11:59 AM »
Yep thats the vid i based my opinion  on.i could move it around where i needed it.the kerosene redi heaters smell real bad too.hated the smell after using one to heat the jobsites all day hanging drywall.

Offline HardH20Fishin

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Jan 21, 2022, 08:34 PM »
I built one for my Frabill Predator and tested it out this past weekend on Flaming Gorge. Worked great. Dry heat...super efficient....
Here's the YT vid I posted of the field test. The channel also has a vid of the build and an update vid of my ice-camp setup.

&t=508s
You can't buy happiness, but you can buy fishing gear....and that's kind of the same thing.

Offline Baetis62

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #5 on: Jan 21, 2022, 09:27 PM »
Indirect fired heat has become the standard on commercial job sites over the last 10 years or so.  Clean, dry and safe.  I've not seen one this small from China but if it has a heat ex-changer on it and its exhausted outside it should be nice.  Not sure of the durability of this lil guy but the Canadians on this site who work in construction or O&G have been using the larger Frost Fighters for years. 

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.