Author Topic: Mixed bag with my son  (Read 1535 times)

Offline FreshwaterPhil

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • FreshwaterPhil.com - Montreal fishing
Mixed bag with my son
« on: Dec 27, 2021, 08:08 AM »
Fished a small lake with very limited winter access yesterday. My eldest son was home visiting from Quebec City, and being the only one of my kids at least as die hard about ice fishing as myself, there's no one else I'd rather hit the ice with.

To make a long story short, we jigged 100 holes in 5.5 hours, managed a couple dozen jumbo perch, about 20 largemouth and 3 smallmouth bass.

More info and pics are up on my blog at http://freshwater-phil.blogspot.com/2021/12/mixed-bag-of-bass-and-jumbo-perch-to.html

Footnote:

Largemouth bass in this particular lake were illegally introduced at some point in time, as they are not native to that region. What typically happens in these types of lakes, is that they out compete the smallmouth bass, and end up decimating their numbers, to the point where they take over the entire lake's bass population. With very strong numbers due to almost no fishing pressure, the bass in this lake have stunted growth, to where it's common to have fish in the 12 inch range being mature enough to spawn.

As such, if I'm able to access the lake on ice, I'll make it a point to keep my legal bag limits of largemouth bass there, hoping to cull some out to make a bit more room for the quickly diminishing smallmouth bass.

As for the perch in this lake, the vast majority of them are extremely infested with worms, so for the most part, they get released, unless I manage to catch some clean ones. The worms tend to accumulate in the mouth, throat, gills, tail, and fins, so it's easy enough to spot infested fish.

Offline 800stealth

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: Mixed bag with my son
« Reply #1 on: Dec 27, 2021, 08:14 AM »
Great report Phil, glad to hear you and your boy had a nice trip.
"May your lines be tight and never be tangled" (old Frankish Proverb)  Guinea 2021

Offline BlueDuck

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Dec 27, 2021, 08:52 AM »
Well done.  Congrats.

Offline Hardwater2

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #3 on: Dec 27, 2021, 09:01 AM »
Nice outing with family👍

Offline SpitzoMT

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • FLX-28 Ultra Pack
« Reply #4 on: Dec 27, 2021, 09:15 AM »
Sounds like an awesome day Phil.....Congrats !!

Offline filetandrelease

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #5 on: Dec 27, 2021, 09:17 AM »

Well that’s a great time

Offline Raquettedacker

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #6 on: Dec 27, 2021, 10:09 AM »
Nice job Phil and son..👍👍
Strangers stopping strangers just to shake there hand.
         The successful life were living has us feuding like the Hatfields and McCoys...
Pro Staff Member "Team Loser"

Offline SLAYERFISH

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #7 on: Dec 27, 2021, 10:22 AM »
Nice Chubbers. We don't seem to have a perch worm problem out west. Ive only seen a few worms in South Dakota perch.
Love Me or Hate Me-
All Metal all the Time!

Offline FreshwaterPhil

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #8 on: Dec 27, 2021, 10:57 AM »
Nice Chubbers. We don't seem to have a perch worm problem out west. Ive only seen a few worms in South Dakota perch.

It's a regional thing, various bird parasites go through fish. They get dropped in lakes by birds, live in fish, and go back into the birds that ingest those fish. Some regions in Quebec have very few infested fish, others are worse. The region I fished yesterday is one of the worse hit that I've encountered, so I'm sort of expecting them. Some in the bass too, but nowhere near as many, they seem to be more prone to black spots as opposed to white worms.

Offline icefishman

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #9 on: Dec 27, 2021, 05:43 PM »
Very cool…I also have 1 son super addicted and one kinda to fishing
Catching Any?

Offline FreshwaterPhil

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #10 on: Dec 27, 2021, 06:37 PM »
Very cool…I also have 1 son super addicted and one kinda to fishing

He's my eldest. He actually enjoys ice over open water. LOL.  The others prefer spring and summer.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.