Author Topic: Roland Patry traps with Roccus mods  (Read 3110 times)

Offline HuntnFish603

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • If I can hunt it, or fish it....I'M THERE!
Re: Roland Patry traps with Roccus mods
« Reply #30 on: Dec 22, 2021, 08:20 PM »
The jack trap spring  is wider than 40 up, but a little narrower than the stock spring, I drove the staples a little  deeper and I feel comfortable  with th result.. you could just add a few new staples above or below the stock ones to compensate..I bend my own staples from as wire.
Makes sense. The 40up is pretty thin, which is one of the things I love about it's action.
I was thinking about that, it's such a beautifully finished trap at first I just didn't want to put any more holes in it for more staples. But I guess that's probably the best solution. Thanks.
- In every walk with nature, every hunt, every fishing trip....one receives far more than he seeks.

Offline Steamtrain

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #31 on: Dec 22, 2021, 09:26 PM »
Beautiful traps! I love the mods.
Good luck with those.

Offline dave b.

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • waitin for winter
« Reply #32 on: Dec 23, 2021, 05:23 PM »
Thanks to Roccus, I ordered some tip up parts earlier,from McMaster Carr. Thy are very prompt , think I ordered one day and the order arrived the next day.

May have to post a picture of the new tip ups when they are done.

Thanks for the inspiration Roccus.

Offline DConICE

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #33 on: Dec 23, 2021, 08:50 PM »
X2 on McMaster - have used them for work many times... good outfit to do business with.

Offline Lv2hunt

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Don't get your Shanty pantys in a bunch!!
« Reply #34 on: Dec 24, 2021, 07:49 AM »
Ordered all the stainless hardware for my upgrade Wednesday through work. was at the loading dock by 10am Thursday morning  best part is they wanted me to come in today to do a few things on some lines that were down now the rest of the day i'll work on my upgrades and get paid for it unless there is a breakdown but 3/4 of the shop is not here so thats 75% of stupid i don't have to worry about. Merry Christmas everyone the ice is starting to look good!!
Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day teach him how to fish and he will sit there and drink all day!!

Offline Roccus

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #35 on: Dec 24, 2021, 08:00 AM »
Most of the hardware from Mcamaster Carr is made in USA..and it shows..
"A mans got to know his limitations"

Offline jigmaster5

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #36 on: Jan 15, 2022, 04:07 PM »
after drilling the post hole, seal the inside of the hole bye swabbing it with polyurethane, varnish or linseed oil you can seal it with a swab of gorilla glue as well, but this can be messy in that application..
put a washer on the new threaded post, put it into the trap, put a washer on the other side of the trap and install the thin nut, tighten securely.. you will most likely have to trim the spacer because of the extra distance taken up bye the thin nut... check the spool tang to trigger relationship before you cut it, it should fall just about in the center of the trigger.. install the factory washers and the new ny-loc wing nut.. the factory star drag can go in the trash.. it's useless anyways.

Bringing this thread back up to thank Roccus!

I only have 3 Heritage traps, but fixed them up according to Roccus' specs.  Just finished the last 1 was this cold January day.

First, I was surprised how easily the brass pegs came out...I already lost 1 spool down a hole...so I guess I shouldn't be surprised, but still...much more secure now that it's thru-bolted.  I should have done this a long time ago.

I took about 1/4 of the red spacer off (using my vice + an oscillator saw) so the tang would hit square "amidships" & trigger the flag. cleaned up the spacer w/ some sand paper & it was good to go.

Oh yeah, make sure everything is 10/32nds - I screwed up my 1st order w/ McMaster-Carr (100% my fault, I was rushing & didn't check #'s carefully).  Good quality & fast shipping (both times, lol).

Also glued the spring on the flag in place b/c when I'd get a flag + the whole f'n assembly would launch itself across the ice.  So, glued that in place, then used a pair of slip pliers to adjust the spring so that it could trigger easily.  The alignment is important.

Thx, Joe!   :tipup:

Offline Roccus

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #37 on: Jan 15, 2022, 04:22 PM »
Bringing this thread back up to thank Roccus!

I only have 3 Heritage traps, but fixed them up according to Roccus' specs.  Just finished the last 1 was this cold January day.

First, I was surprised how easily the brass pegs came out...I already lost 1 spool down a hole...so I guess I shouldn't be surprised, but still...much more secure now that it's thru-bolted.  I should have done this a long time ago.

I took about 1/4 of the red spacer off (using my vice + an oscillator saw) so the tang would hit square "amidships" & trigger the flag. cleaned up the spacer w/ some sand paper & it was good to go.

Oh yeah, make sure everything is 10/32nds - I screwed up my 1st order w/ McMaster-Carr (100% my fault, I was rushing & didn't check #'s carefully).  Good quality & fast shipping (both times, lol).

Also glued the spring on the flag in place b/c when I'd get a flag + the whole f'n assembly would launch itself across the ice.  So, glued that in place, then used a pair of slip pliers to adjust the spring so that it could trigger easily.  The alignment is important.

Thx, Joe!   :tipup:
You are welcome my friend.. it's why   I post here..the why being  passing on what I know..
"A mans got to know his limitations"

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.