Ice Fishing Tips -Check your local regulations! > Jigging

copper colored spoons for yellow perch ?

(1/3) > >>

ougot1:
Have any of you tried copper colored spoons for yellow perch ? and how much differance between it and gold under the ice would their be ? any replies appreciated .

slipperybob:
Perhaps it doesn't really matter as much for the fish.  However it may matter to the extent of the forage.  The reason I like gold as in brass or silver as in nickel finish is that often it imitates baitfish.  The copper color is often more of a dull finish closer to that of aquatic insects or invertebrates.  There has been times where copper is hot.  However gold or silver is always a solid choice for me.

As in a matter of actual jigging, I would prefer to use dull matted paint jobs for when I'm pounding the bottom.  If I'm just fluttering in mid water column, I would often choose shiny stuff.

Bucket Rump:
Based on my observations from the past few seasons I would recommend stocking up on a variety of spoon colors and shapes.  I've spent more time the last few years set up for spearing pike - obviously a sight fishing endeavor - and pretty much ALWAYS have perch come in to the decoy, whether it be a fake deke or a live one.  Perch are very curious about what's going on and movement really draws them in.  Whenever I had a decent sized perch come into view I would drop a spoon down the hole - color really didn't seem to matter AT THAT POINT - the spoons action was the draw.  Once I got the attention of the particular fish I was targeting I would start the process of trying to entice a strike by raising the spoon up to get a chase - and while they often follow they would strike a low percentage of the time and usually would break off the chase.  When I would drop the spoon back down these fish would usually re-engage but would rarely chase upwards again  - but, boy does it fire them up if you drop that spoon and lay it on the bottom.  Often times they would pick it right up, but with a small and subtle movement to make that spoon crawl and flop on the bottom would almost always draw a strike - all on a bare spoon. 

Here is where I found the color to become critical - once I hooked a fish on a particular color pattern spoon it was seldom that same spoon would draw another strike when immediately dropped back down the hole, but if I changed up to a different color they would re-engage a high percentage of the time.  If they didn't I would change spoons again and often this would draw them back in. 

When those perch are in a neutral mode change up colors and spoon styles often and don't be afraid to lay it right on the bottom - same thing for lake trout.  On a hot bite they'll chase and hit about anything/everything.

Iceassin:
My best success on Perch hasn't been shiny at all.

I like the painted Northland Forage Minnows in 1/32 ounce tipped with Wigglers when jigging. Color doesn't seem to matter. Bigger Bluegill like these too.

And #16 or 18 trebles with minnows on a dead stick or auto fisherman.

I know this wasn't what you asked, but just wanted to share what has worked best for me.

Rebelss:

--- Quote from: Iceassin on Nov 15, 2021, 07:04 AM ---My best success on Perch hasn't been shiny at all.

I like the painted Northland Forage Minnows in 1/32 ounce tipped with Wigglers when jigging. Color doesn't seem to matter. Bigger Bluegill like these too.

And #16 or 18 trebles with minnows on a dead stick or auto fisherman.

I know this wasn't what you asked, but just wanted to share what has worked best for me.

--- End quote ---

Have to second that as my useage, too. For spoons, I prefer the bright gold.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version