The ice fishing VT boards are sponsored by:

Author Topic: nh walleye fishing  (Read 2414 times)

Offline nhpanfishing

• IceShanty Rookie
nh walleye fishing
« on: Jul 06, 2021, 09:55 PM »
I have a page on fb nh panfishing and also I have a walleye stocking petition on there if you'd like to see walleye in nh other than the ct river plz help me make it a reality I need to get tons of signatures I'm going to test waters myself and go to the state and fight for a walleye stocking but I need many like minded individuals to join my fight for this if we want to see it happen thank you

Offline Dickbakers

• Team IceShanty Addict
Re: nh walleye fishing
« Reply #1 on: Nov 21, 2021, 08:55 AM »
 ;D.  Research indicates that walleye introduced  to all of Conn.  River sometime early in the last century.  They probably swam north until the construction of three dams north of McIndoes Vt.  In the 50's.   Large numbers still exist below McIndoes dam. 
Walleye success at Moore would spread south to Comerford, which might be the best habitat?  So , stocking walleye in Moore might bring them back to their ancient waters?  It would also provide a Canadian like pike , walleye, small mouth fishery.
Climate change will make this a bigger success. 
NHFG has to take charge this time!!
Dick

Offline Hess

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Dec 07, 2021, 03:50 PM »
I have been all for stocking Walleye in Moore Dam -- seems like a 'no brainer' to me for lots of reasons...!!

Offline Dickbakers

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #3 on: Dec 08, 2021, 07:00 AM »
 ::) spoke influential member of Vt. F+W.  He is sure that it will never happen!!
I'm to old to hope.
Dick

Offline 200 turkeys

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #4 on: Jan 13, 2022, 12:50 PM »
  I seem to remember a few years ago that it was proposed (VT?) to do that and the trout fisherman made a big issue of it & it was scrapped

Offline TRT

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Trout/Salmon
« Reply #5 on: Jan 13, 2022, 02:50 PM »
Some day VT & NH biologists will give up on the dream of having an Atlantic Salmon fishery on the CT river.
Until then good luck getting walleye stocked in CT river basin.

Offline Jimfishing

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #6 on: Jan 14, 2022, 08:38 AM »
The Atlantic Salmon restoration program in the CT River was abandoned over a decade ago.

Offline stripernut

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Tight Lines!
« Reply #7 on: Jan 14, 2022, 11:51 AM »
MA stocked walleye years ago in a number of spots across the state and found they could not reproduce except in the Merrimack and Conn Rivers. I plan to be out Sunday afternoon trying to get some of the MA Walleye in Conn. River and I have been doing a little better every year as I figure them out... 3 years ago I asked a state biologist if we could stock a lake in the Conn. watershed and I would pay (I think I could get enough with a GoFund Me) for the whole thing... No real interest yet, they had to test the body of water, I told them if it was too cold for walleye we could do trophy browns.
I wish you luck.

Offline vt-jig

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Jan 14, 2022, 12:30 PM »
I think everyone would have an easier time with walleye legislature if the community of people who target them weren't such....."walleye fisherman". Think about it. The state of Vermont wastes more money on stocking brookies into warm shallow ponds, than is remotely necessary.  Why do they do this? People love the opportunity to catch fish.   At the same time, people who fish these put and take fisheries are far from tight lipped.  A walleye guy isn't gonna even tell you that's what he's targeting. Crappies are another prime example.  There's a couple dozen (maybe) people in the state who  consistently catch them. Not ONE of them will put a new fisherman on a hole and say have at it.  A lack of approachability, and a total neglect for the next generation, is why the state doesn't care about them. Because it seems like a niche fish, not a priority target fish.     

Side note,

I do not target walleye, and I've caught only one. That ONE was anticlimactic all its own. Crappies are pretty and make a fun addition to the bucket but I'd rather target something above 2lbs, so if I get one its usually while jigging pike or bass.

A long winded statement but to summarize, a state isn't gonna change the ecological stability of a water system to suit the taste of a couple dozen old codgers who think they own the rights to a species.     Note that my generalizations we not said in offense, or towards any particular person. Just an entire greed fueled community.  And nobody on THIS website would be like that....   ;D
"Guys, Come look! This perch is as big as my house!"

Offline Dickbakers

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #9 on: Jan 14, 2022, 01:55 PM »
 ??? Keep in mind that Walleye are Vermont's warm water state fish.  They aren't hard to catch but great to eat.  I fish the upper Conn river and my grand children think they are easy to catch.
NH biologists promoted the walleye project.  Vt.  Biologist killed it.
Vt  fishermen must bring it up again!!!

Offline QuinnTheEskimo

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #10 on: Jan 14, 2022, 02:22 PM »
Vermont F&W is troutcentric and that isn’t going to change anytime soon.  It’s never made sense to me, people love walleyes and they’re catchable by anyone, at least through the ice. 

Offline vt-jig

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #11 on: Jan 14, 2022, 02:38 PM »
Vermont F&W is troutcentric and that isn’t going to change anytime soon.  It’s never made sense to me, people love walleyes and they’re catchable by anyone, at least through the ice.
   Right! Most of vermonts brookie stocking locations are more fit for walleye than anything else. Even tho I have a limited interest in catching another one, I WOULD like to see some of the smaller locations be stocked with fish that CAN survive the year, if they are not caught. Brook trout in ponds less than 30ft do not have great odds during the hot weather months.  In reality the freshwater eel is an incredibly valuable and unique species that is in bad shape, that could thrive in some of these places. Why not stock those?   Most fisherman will never meet a harder fighting, more obnoxious fish to land, than an eel. I know I'm still waiting to top it. 

Offline Meatdrapes2

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #12 on: Jan 14, 2022, 02:49 PM »
   Right! Most of vermonts brookie stocking locations are more fit for walleye than anything else. Even tho I have a limited interest in catching another one, I WOULD like to see some of the smaller locations be stocked with fish that CAN survive the year, if they are not caught. Brook trout in ponds less than 30ft do not have great odds during the hot weather months.  In reality the freshwater eel is an incredibly valuable and unique species that is in bad shape, that could thrive in some of these places. Why not stock those?   Most fisherman will never meet a harder fighting, more obnoxious fish to land, than an eel. I know I'm still waiting to top it.

Me n my brother call em slim jims or slimy bois! we fill jars with the slime, it's great on toast with a lil brown sugar and cinimin!

Offline vt-jig

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #13 on: Jan 14, 2022, 02:50 PM »
Walleye in rivers. Fly fishing rivers. THAT might turn me into a walleye fisherman though  ;D :tipup:

Offline vt-jig

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #14 on: Jan 14, 2022, 03:13 PM »
Me n my brother call em slim jims or slimy bois! we fill jars with the slime, it's great on toast with a lil brown sugar and cinimin!
I never would have thought the slime to be palatable. Thats a great tip!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.