Author Topic: Frozen Guides  (Read 2715 times)

Offline Boatless in BTV

• IceShanty Rookie
Frozen Guides
« on: Feb 01, 2021, 06:16 PM »
I'm relatively new to the game and was wondering if anyone has any good suggestions for keeping the guides on jigging rods from freezing up. I was fishing in about 15 degree F weather today, and after the fish started biting, I found myself having to chip ice out of the guides every few minutes.

Thanks for any advice!

Offline meandcuznalfy

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: Frozen Guides
« Reply #1 on: Feb 01, 2021, 07:02 PM »
Have never tried it, but chapstick is supposed to help that.

Offline claymore6

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Feb 01, 2021, 07:05 PM »
 I often use 2 lb test line. The only way I have found to remove the ice in the guides without damaging the line is to put the guide in my mouth and melt the ice. Takes a second or two. No fuss. No problems even in below zero as the guides are pretty small and I get rid of the ice before it become a problem.

Offline rdhammah

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Feb 01, 2021, 08:30 PM »
I often use 2 lb test line. The only way I have found to remove the ice in the guides without damaging the line is to put the guide in my mouth and melt the ice. Takes a second or two. No fuss. No problems even in below zero as the guides are pretty small and I get rid of the ice before it become a problem.
x2 the method. I use 4# test

Offline meandcuznalfy

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: Feb 01, 2021, 11:17 PM »
X3, I use 10# test, but break ice out of guides as I see it forming

Offline slipperybob

• Team IceShantyholic
  • LX5 or die...maybe extra battery.
« Reply #5 on: Feb 02, 2021, 01:51 AM »
I finger flick my rod tip every now and then.  Do it when it's wet so that ice don't form on it.

And this also comes back to line guide material.  Metals will freeze up with ice faster than say ceramic.  Bigger line guides are less prone to get ice choked.

And I use a bait caster so my ice freezing is more prone to happen.  So hide in the heated shelter is #1.  Next have two rods at least so when one is frozen, fish the other one.  Now I just spend a little time finger flicking the ice off the other one.

They say that braid lines do ice up bad.  Braid also can rip and cut through ice easier than nylon or fluorocarbon.
For more information read my MN nice journal

Offline trapster

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Feb 02, 2021, 10:09 AM »
x2 the method. I use 4# test

Yup. What he said.
Shut up and fish.

Offline vt-jig

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Feb 02, 2021, 03:37 PM »
I just blow hot air on it as needed. The rod tip will need frequent blowing out on the cold days. I run spiderwire as a mainline on most of my rods, so I'm deicing my guides OFTEN.  As for preventing it entirely? I can't think of a way. Wish I could though, it sure would be helpful. ::) :tipup:
"Guys, Come look! This perch is as big as my house!"

Offline Boatless in BTV

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #8 on: Feb 03, 2021, 12:41 AM »
Thanks for the input everyone. I guess I'll have to be more diligent in the future. And maybe it's time for a better jigging rod.

Offline Kevin23

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #9 on: Feb 03, 2021, 12:55 PM »
Most rods will do that, its nothing to worry about. It has to do with how much water your line is collecting when reeling up, the type of guides, and if it is windy or not outside.

On a good quality rod, you can just reach up and run your hand down the blank (reel to tip) and all of the ice should come right off your guides. If you are fishing outside, its important to pick a rod with thin wire guides, black in color if possible, and a rod with a thin wire tip (not the type of tip on an open water rod).

Some people say chapstick or petroleum jelly works good to keep ice off, I've never tried it. It really doesn't bother me to knock the tiny bit of ice off real quick.
EYECONICFISHING

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.