Author Topic: Favorite High-End Rods?  (Read 21385 times)

Offline srobocop

• Team IceShanty Regular
Favorite High-End Rods?
« on: Oct 31, 2020, 04:03 PM »
I know there is Tuned Up Custom Rods, Thorne Bros, MAGS, and JT's.

I used to use Thorne Bros, but just switched over to MAGS after I got to use two of them last year.

Which company do you prefer?
-Sro
"I ain't from Michigan, I'm from the U.P."

Offline Iceassin

• Team IceShantyholic
  • The secret to fishing...fish where the fish are.
Re: Favorite High-End Rods?
« Reply #1 on: Oct 31, 2020, 04:08 PM »
No high end rods for me. Mine are around $30 or so and work just fine. My favorites are the Genz Panfish Poppers. Strike indicators on the other hand...I go the extra mile.
"Si quaeris peninsulam amoenam circumspice."

Offline srobocop

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Oct 31, 2020, 04:26 PM »
No high end rods for me. Mine are around $30 or so and work just fine. My favorites are the Genz Panfish Poppers. Strike indicators on the other hand...I go the extra mile.

Oh, I try avoiding strike indicators where possible. I feel that I get better jig/lure control if I pick a rod that suits the style of jigging I am utilizing.
-Sro
"I ain't from Michigan, I'm from the U.P."

Offline Iceassin

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #3 on: Oct 31, 2020, 04:30 PM »
Oh, I try avoiding strike indicators where possible. I feel that I get better jig/lure control if I pick a rod that suits the style of jigging I am utilizing.

Same for me...on the SI's. But hey, whatever works, right?  ;)

Offline lostbrit

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Oct 31, 2020, 04:40 PM »
DH rods for me, started getting them 4-5 years ago

Offline bart

• Team IceShantyholic
  • I love you, Deb
« Reply #5 on: Oct 31, 2020, 06:02 PM »
A pair of St. Croix Legends are my high-end rods.
"Many fish their entire lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after."-Henry David Thoreau
  Keep America Godly...

Offline Arctic Addict

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Flagggg!!!!!
« Reply #6 on: Oct 31, 2020, 08:14 PM »
St. Croix
"Hope" is not a good fishing strategy!

Offline Baetis62

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #7 on: Oct 31, 2020, 10:14 PM »
I still like my older TB Perch Sweetheart Added a TUCR Fusion last year...that split grip thing is growing on me.

Offline Rockfish24

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #8 on: Nov 01, 2020, 12:33 PM »
St Croix Custom Ice Trophy Taker is the most sensitive ice rod I've used for deep water jigs fishing whitefish.

It's too stiff for drop shot rigs and lighter tubes but for the heavier jigs bottom fishing for whitey's in the 30-75' range it treats me well.  I'll probably pick up a 2nd one. 

I can't compare it to any actual custom rods because I was always hesitant to drop good coin on a rod that I can't put in my hands first.

Offline RyanW

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #9 on: Nov 01, 2020, 01:40 PM »
I prefer TUCR. I own 4. 3 Precision Noodle’s and a Bullwhip. I’m about to own a Deadstick. Excellent rods. Having said that, They are the only high-end brand I’ve tried. I’m capable of building myself exact copies so even “high-end” off-shelf rods don’t cut it for me and for what it’s worth, no ice rod is worth more than $50. Including the $450 worth of TUCR’s I own. There’s only so much a fiberglass/carbon rod can do before you’re either paying for brand recognition/warranty or aesthetics. In today’s day and age though, it’s hard to go wrong with 95% of the available rods.  :tipup:
“When the fish are biting, it really doesn’t matter what you’re using. When the fish aren’t biting, it really doesn’t matter what you’re using” - Uncle Dave

Offline bigstorm

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #10 on: Nov 02, 2020, 11:57 AM »
Im a fan of TUCR (Precision Noodle, Bullwhip, Fusion & Commander). Also like DH Customs (Al Dente & Perch Pounder). The only JT I have is the Panfish Snare, works great for crappies

Offline matzilla

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #11 on: Nov 02, 2020, 12:33 PM »
If I didn't make my own I'd be buying from these 3 guys

https://www.stantonrods.com/
https://www.vlinecustomrods.com/
https://www.facebook.com/906CustomRods

Off the shelf I'd rock St. Croix and Fenwick followed by Beaverdam

Catchin' Fish

Offline TheCrappieFisherman

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #12 on: Nov 02, 2020, 02:38 PM »
I'd add in Elliot ice rods to the list. Owners are Greg and Paul Thorne, the two brothers that orginally started Thorne Brothers Custom rods that we all know.

Offline brown-time

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Jig one up for me
« Reply #13 on: Nov 02, 2020, 08:10 PM »
TUCR for everything but Lakers, a TB laker rod is awesome for deep jigging. Bullwhip is my all around favorite.

Offline spoofhoundicefisher

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #14 on: Nov 02, 2020, 09:31 PM »
HT blue ice for me.  its not a custom rod but somebody had to make it.

Offline TheCrappieFisherman

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #15 on: Nov 02, 2020, 09:52 PM »

Nothing wrong with those or the Shakespeare ice noodle.. They can fit a specific need. There is a reason why some of the top ice anglers in a MN ice fishing circuit and the NAIFC run them with a few modifications.

Offline Reinert

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #16 on: Nov 03, 2020, 05:39 AM »
My custom made by Matzilla has opened my  eyes to the benefit of a true custom rod, I wanted something I could feel.the bite on for my heavier walleye applications, I was amazed by the amount of perch and crappie that would bite and I'd actually feel it rather than just see the rod move. It was spendy but sometimes you have to treat yourself!

Offline Agronomist_at_IA

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Team Iowa!
« Reply #17 on: Nov 03, 2020, 07:21 AM »
Bricker custom Rods.

No custom rod even comes close to a Bricker rod.

Offline Iceassin

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #18 on: Nov 03, 2020, 10:32 AM »
Bricker custom Rods.

No custom rod even comes close to a Bricker rod.

Until someone else comes in and says no other rod comes close to the one they have. 😉

Offline Junkie4Ice

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #19 on: Nov 03, 2020, 10:52 AM »
" _____ makes the best custom rod there is" -Every fisherman with a custom rod.

I see a lot of people liking TUCR, and a lot of people bashing over-priced on the shelf rods....what's the difference? TUCR are sold at Scheels and you're paying for the name brand. For the price you pay for a TUCR I can buy two truly customized ice rods, probably even made with the same blanks. If you don't choose the coloring, the length, the number of guides, the type of guides, the handle style, handle material, how is it customized? Half the fun of buying a custom rod for me is throwing around ideas with the rod builder based on my style of fishing and lure preference.

Don't get me wrong, I have a TUCR PN that I bought when I was in a pinch and it's a super nice rod. But I don't even take it with me most days anymore as it's probably the 4th "best" rod I own now.

Just food for thought, TUCR opened up peoples eyes to 'custom rods' but are no longer custom or even top end IMO.
Da Pack!

Offline missoulafish

• Team IceShantyholic
  • TēM HîPē FÿSh
« Reply #20 on: Nov 03, 2020, 02:47 PM »
What Agronomist said.....

Offline mcflyfisher

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #21 on: Nov 03, 2020, 08:35 PM »
What blanks are people building these customs on?

Offline matzilla

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #22 on: Nov 03, 2020, 10:36 PM »
What blanks are people building these customs on?

what are you targeting, I can toss out a few suggestions

Catchin' Fish

Offline Agronomist_at_IA

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Team Iowa!
« Reply #23 on: Nov 05, 2020, 06:58 PM »

Lol....It’s about has “custom” a rod has any of these rods.

The word “custom” gets thrown around way to much. “Custom” rods IMO are when you talk to the rod builder and have a rod built the way you want it.....nothing else like it.

Way to many companies make mass produced rods and market them as custom rods....when they aren’t. I mean it’s off the shelf and three others are sitting next to it....how is it custom?

Offline matzilla

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #24 on: Nov 06, 2020, 08:17 AM »
My custom made by Matzilla has opened my  eyes to the benefit of a true custom rod, I wanted something I could feel.the bite on for my heavier walleye applications, I was amazed by the amount of perch and crappie that would bite and I'd actually feel it rather than just see the rod move. It was spendy but sometimes you have to treat yourself!

check your PM's on here buddy!

Catchin' Fish

Offline missoulafish

• Team IceShantyholic
  • TēM HîPē FÿSh
« Reply #25 on: Nov 06, 2020, 09:11 AM »
I mean it’s off the shelf and three others are sitting next to it....how is it custom?

My favorite part about this is when it has the custom built price tag still applied to it......

Offline Iceassin

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #26 on: Nov 06, 2020, 12:48 PM »
It's all about marketing in most...not all...cases... Custom, Deluxe, Limited Edition, XL, etc. It's whatever they can do to catch your eye. And most of us are guilty of it at some point. It's the "Look at what I got" syndrome. And I was one. Now? My best equipment is far from custom. Off the rack is more like it. But I'm successful and don't mind saying it.

Offline midwest_rodworks

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #27 on: Nov 06, 2020, 09:03 PM »
I've been rolling my own for almost 10 years now, decided to take the next step this year.  Got a business partner and started a company.

https://www.fish365rods.com/
"Balance in all things"

Offline slipperybob

• Team IceShantyholic
  • LX5 or die...maybe extra battery.
« Reply #28 on: Nov 08, 2020, 10:21 PM »
Thorne Bros was my first high end production rod and I started with the $40 one.  Cheaper in cost than either the Dave Genz Gold at $100 plus and cheaper than what 13 fishing ice rod at that time at $100 plus as well.  The Thorne Bros was a no frill rod, just plain performance.

I went back and got a few custom made ones from Thorne Bros. and at the time no one else would do baitcasting rods and everyone only used it for heavy stuff.  So I prototype my first finesse rod that was a spinning rod conversion.  Ice fishing felt like, I was cheating with this finesse bait casting set up.  That maybe ten percent of fish that I lost on my spinning rod set up got reduce to less than 1 percent on the finesse baitcasting rod set up.  It's easy to lose smelt while jigging for them little snackers.  That's all I will say.
For more information read my MN nice journal

Offline Agronomist_at_IA

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Team Iowa!
« Reply #29 on: Nov 08, 2020, 11:19 PM »
Until someone else comes in and says no other rod comes close to the one they have. 😉

Not really. A Bricker rod is actually a true custom rod. He takes orders, and builds it to your specs. It’s not walk in and buy one from scheels for $200.  There is not any builder to my knowledge that builds like Bricker does

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.