Ice Fishing Tips -Check your local regulations! > Ice Fishing Safety

Learning to Spud. Increase knowledge and chance of going through???

(1/2) > >>

Noon:
Still being new to ice fishing, I am taking in as much information as I can get. I was told, use a spud bar to check ice. I got one, I now use it all the time, even when there are people all over the place and the ice is plenty thick (8"+).

The other day I was out on some ice that formed at the inlet to a reservoir. There was a solid 4 inches of clear hard ice. But on top of that was about 3-4inches of frozen snow/white ice, then a thin layer of water with another 3-4 inches of frozen snow/white ice on top of that. When I would hit my spud bar, the top layer would sometimes crack and I could feel, hear, and see that layer shift and settle. Sometimes it was just around where I struck, other times it it would go from where I struck and run a crack for some 40-50ft. Was incredibly unsettling, but having taken a few big heavy, foot-pounding jumps (close to a shore where i knew it was only about 1-2' deep) I was fairly confident that it was only the top layer moving and I wasnt at immediate risk of going through with each step.

My reason for this post, is to gain some more information after my experience as well as another post I recently saw where a guy said he hit with his spud bar and he and the spud went right through the ice.

So aside from the unique ice condition scenario that I posted, does using a spud bar increase the chances of the ice breaking and having you go through? It is a pretty gnarly impact when I smack that step chisel into the ice and I went from loving the spud to now questioning if it is a double edged sword.

missoulafish:
Does not increase the chance of you going through. If you can poke through all the way in one poke, odds or you shouldnt be out there.  The benefits far outweigh anything else.

Noon:
Thanks. I haven't ever fallen through the ice and plan to keep it that way. I love having the spud but after hearing that someone went through while spudding and having my experience of the ice shifting with hits of the spud, I became a little less confident in spudding due to my limited knowledge. I'd rather have the spud than be walking blind.

fishinator:

--- Quote from: Noon on Jan 17, 2019, 09:03 AM ---Thanks. I haven't ever fallen through the ice and plan to keep it that way. I love having the spud but after hearing that someone went through while spudding and having my experience of the ice shifting with hits of the spud, I became a little less confident in spudding due to my limited knowledge. I'd rather have the spud than be walking blind.

--- End quote ---
its possible the person that went through with the spud wasn't checking often enough while walking. Just a guess though. I check every step of the way and have been saved multiple times.

Kobey:
A spud is just another tool to help keep you safe.  If you are in a place where you have to spud every step, you're taking a chance just by being there.  Some people are bigger risk takers than others.  For me, I use the spud on unfamiliar waters where there could be spring holes or other weak spots that are unknown to me.  A spud can save your life but it can't make up for taking unnecessary risks on the ice.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version