Author Topic: Submersible light question  (Read 7777 times)

Offline Bubbadoyle

• IceShanty Rookie
Submersible light question
« on: Feb 10, 2016, 09:39 AM »
I fish a lake that has stained water. It is a river system. It pretty much has no night bite. Has anyone had any luck inducing a night bite with submersible lights in a lake that doesn't have a night bite?  If this is possible it would greatly increase the hours that I can fish. As it is now its not worth my going out after work.

Offline buuddy

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Submersible light question
« Reply #1 on: Aug 07, 2017, 09:48 AM »
My trials with using battery operated lights leads me to believe that they are too bright and can spook the fish. At a lower intensity, such as with a glow jig, it can turn on a hot bite.

Offline chilly-willy

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Aug 07, 2017, 02:32 PM »
Carefull if the lake has pike they will hang around and you won't catch any thing we just turn are lanterns up on high on our lakes wich is a resivoir lake  aka a damned river.. and the bite picks up .. I am sure you could do same with leds in a  flip or a hub..

Offline pikeaddict

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #3 on: Nov 30, 2017, 10:33 AM »
Majority of all my crappie fishing is at night using a 2ft hydroglow submersible light set right under the ice.  The amount of plankton that it attracts is incredible.  Usually fishing in 25 to 35 fow and will catch crappies from 10ft under the ice to the bottom.  I will NEVER go crappie fishing at night without the light.  It would be like going back to fishing without a flasher, I just wont do it.

I should add that I don't move the light from hole to hole, it stays in one spot the whole time I am fishing.

Offline big bobber

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • cant fish during the day...learn to fish at night
« Reply #4 on: Dec 05, 2017, 09:26 AM »
I fish a lake that has stained water. It is a river system. It pretty much has no night bite. Has anyone had any luck inducing a night bite with submersible lights in a lake that doesn't have a night bite?  If this is possible it would greatly increase the hours that I can fish. As it is now its not worth my going out after work.
I wouldn't bother.ive tried thru the ice many times.from what ive figured out,if the fish bite at night they bite at night.being its stained water,id look for other night bites in clearer water.it all depends on the water body I suppose.use a lantern only.just for you,those fish do not need any help finding food.hint #1..GLOW WITH MINNOWS ON A BUCKSHOT OR DEMON GLOW.
i just know they will bite if i stay another hour.

Offline 3300

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Michigan Moderator.Not affiliated with MarCum Tech
« Reply #5 on: Dec 05, 2017, 11:20 AM »
if the water keeps plankton away, then the light won't do any thing to attract them. being stained won't matter to plankton. i fish stained water and i find the plankton starting at 35 feet with a 50 foot bottom. if you have them, maybe find a deeper area and try to find them. turn your gain way up on your sonar. i'll post an image of what the look like on a digital sonar. also, if you can use an underwater camera, you'll see them at night because the light will draw them in like a bad fog.

we keep lights on top of the ice to share and to help bring in plankton on shallow water fishing. i use home made lighting. it's a day time driving light used for cars. i hot glued it to the side of an ammo box and have a sla battery inside and a switch on top. i can use to power led lighting in my shacks or use  it by it's self sitting on ice helping us see and drawing in plankton.

i'd suggest looking else where to night fish if you can't find plankton.

the blue dashes are plankton. on flashers, they'll show up as low signal temporary lines. you can see them better on the left graph as blue lines, but you can them entirely. this is in the dark.

the yellow is bottom. the long blue line is my jig. the dash lines are plankton. the swoosh on my jig is a big crappie that was feeding and found my jig from above it. it came under it as they most always do and hit it from the underside.
no light needed to bring in plankton on this lake. you can see they come up to about 15 feet deep with a 23 foot bottom.
hopefully this helps and maybe you can compare it to where you fish if you can find waters like this.

Offline Registered Kayak

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • ..............and then there were none.
« Reply #6 on: Jan 01, 2018, 11:51 AM »
Idk if anyone else has tried it but I have been setting a white led light face down in the ice, not under water. And have had Waaaaaaaaay better success as opposed to a green submersible. Caught around 20 keeper sized last night. The white Seems to bring them higher.
The green seemed to take longer to draw them in.
Then I use small tungstens about 4 ft above the suspending panfish at 15ft over 30ft.

Offline ice dawg

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • Tawny-"Ice Pooch"
« Reply #7 on: Jan 01, 2018, 12:00 PM »
Drilling a hole into the ice without going through and sitting a small propane lantern in the hole seems to work pretty well.
It seems to go from zero to hero all some have to do is lie.

Offline panfishman13

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #8 on: Jan 04, 2018, 09:31 PM »
the crappie lakes i fish are all crystal clear, so i can't help much as far as murky water is concerned, but my experience with submersible lights is that i'm better off using them to hold fish in an area rather than drawing fish to you from elsewhere. get on a good bite during the day, set up your lights as it starts getting dark, and continue fishing into the night.

Offline schie03

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #9 on: Feb 01, 2018, 10:26 AM »
Do you fish within the glow or outside it? 

Offline ice dawg

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • Tawny-"Ice Pooch"
« Reply #10 on: Feb 01, 2018, 10:29 AM »
On the edge.
It seems to go from zero to hero all some have to do is lie.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.