Author Topic: Can't catch walleyes jigging?  (Read 2225 times)

Offline GAMBELL

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • 41" PIKE 2005!
Can't catch walleyes jigging?
« on: Dec 28, 2005, 01:34 PM »
I have been fishing a lake twice this year and caught 4 walleyes.  The problem is they came on tip ups.  I can not get walleyes to hit my jigging rod.  I tried Swedish pimples tipped with minnow heads, perch eyes and grubs.  I have also tried swim baits.  I have tried jigging agressively and subtle.  Which way is better?  Could someone please share some tips to help me out?

Offline OTIS

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: Can't catch walleyes jigging?
« Reply #1 on: Dec 28, 2005, 02:08 PM »
Read my "Found them, now what?" post and you'll see I feel your pain.  I an currently formulating a plan to try this weekend, including things I didn't try last time.  Oh ya and my new Jack Traps!
Follow the bubbles...

Offline WALLYWHACKER

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Work is for days I don't fish!
« Reply #2 on: Jan 01, 2006, 10:54 PM »
try northland tackle's fireball jigs 1/16-1/4 oz. chartreuse and green or chartreuse and orange with a back hooked live minnow or a salted minnow with hook through the mouth and out the top of the head.jig with lift drop, and pause within 1-3 inches of the bottom.

GOOD LUCK! ;D

Offline Manny

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #3 on: Jan 02, 2006, 12:30 AM »
I have found that jigging with 2 rods, one in each hand helps alot.  You can figure out what's going on faster.  Sometimes they just want raps and won't touch the slow stuff like fire-ball's and large teardrops with minnows.  Other times, they will only hit fire-balls or they might prefer a whistler jig but won't touch raps or spoons.  There's times when they only hit spoons on the drop, or raps on a long pause.  On the bottom kicking up silt, 3 feet off the bottom, spoons jigged HARD.................. .......... ??? ??? ;D 8) 8) 

Ok, last one, my favorite.  Sometimes, they will only hit fire-balls when one rod is rigged with a fire-ball and the other with a spoon or a rap.  Put fire-balls on both rods and nothing.  Back to a spoon on one and the fire-ball on the other and they are hitting the fire-ball again. ??? ??? ??? ???  Got to love walleyes

Up here though in Mtl, where 10 rods are allowed (I hate, I mean really hate this law), one jigging rod will kill 10 tip-ups.

Manny
The minute you stop learning is the minute you are 6FT under.

Offline iceintheveins

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • If you won't fight for freedom, your not American!
« Reply #4 on: Jan 02, 2006, 06:47 PM »
Slipbob hit it on the nose. The most important thing is to be on fish during the twighlight periods. When the bite is tough even swimming lures need to be tipped with small pieces of bait like a tiny minnow head.
If you can't get walleyes to hit lures like spoons or swimmers, I would lightly jig small live minnows on big teardrops.
Politically incorrect, and proud of it.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.