Ice Fishing Tips -Check your local regulations! > Ice Fishing Safety

Checking first ice - safety concerns.

(1/2) > >>

Ryderr:
Hi all, I am checking first ice conditions, what are some of the methods you use when checking? I like to be on four inches solid before I am fishing, but...you gotta check to know right? Me and my buddy are headed out to check, we are going to go in single file, me in front because I am lighter. I am going to be drilling the holes and wearing a life jacket along with ice picks. He will also have ice picks. We should also bring a rope as well. Just wondering how you guys check the ice.

I love to fish, but I am 110% about safety to fish another day!  :tipup:

tinyfisher:
A spud bar is invaluable, by far the best way to find bad ice before you step on it.  Also, wait for sunup...we have been walking out at dawn before and didn't even notice a hole of open water about 50' away. 

UP jigstick:
The tried and true spud. It's really easy to tell changes in the ice just by the sound of the spud hitting the ice. Giving it a smack every couple of steps when going out early in the year is the best method to stay on top, IMHO.

Gills-only:
 Spud bar

Ryderr:
I forgot to mention the spud in my post. But you guys are right. I went out today, Stood on about 1.5-2 inches of ice. I could see a leaf moving beneath me, about an inch down. Most of the lake was open so I didnt get as far as I had hoped, but safe outing nonetheless.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version