Author Topic: Walleye bait?  (Read 2442 times)

Offline Icephishnphreek

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • I come from the land of Lizards
Walleye bait?
« on: Jan 25, 2005, 12:02 PM »
What do you guys think the best bait is for eyes on a tip up? Also what are some good jigs to use for the eyes? I have never caught one and this weekend I have been invited to fish with a buddy on a lake that has walleyes in it. Thanks for the help

Offline reelmaster

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Walleye bait?
« Reply #1 on: Jan 25, 2005, 12:21 PM »
i know every one has there favorites but this year i like the northland forage minnow series. My favorite has been the eye dropper silver shiner
http://www.northlandtackle.com/main.taf?cat=223
check it out.
YOu can only get skunked so many times before you have to shower, Peeeeuuuuw

Offline Water Wolf

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Ice anglers walk on water.
« Reply #2 on: Jan 25, 2005, 01:14 PM »
Hi Icephishphreek,
 I like to use a 3-4 inch shiner minnow for the tip-ups and set it a foot to 6 inches off the bottom. I like to use a regular or stand up jig head tipped with a shiner minnow, just jig it slowly again from 6 inches to a foot, an odd time actually bumping the bottom and stirring up the sand, every now and then just hold it in place, walleye will usually hit when the lure is falling or have stopped. You may also want to try a northland whistler jig or a jig with rattles in it if night fishing or water clear, try them all and let the fish tell you what they want. Other lure that work on walleye are a jig and curly tail grub,  or rubber shad, a long with the Swedish pimples, buck shot rattle spoons or the jigging rapala. If you are night fishing try and have at least one lure that glows and from time to time charge it up with light.
Hope this helps and good luck. ;)

Water Wolf   >*)}}}><

Offline iceintheveins

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • If you won't fight for freedom, your not American!
« Reply #3 on: Jan 25, 2005, 05:43 PM »
For tip ups, I would use 3 - 4" live minnows, quick strike rigged with pair of #10 trebles on a light fluorocarbon leader. Set the tip up for a hair trigger.
Jigging usually works best in my mind. I would use swimming lures mostly. The jigging rapala, jigging shad rap, nils master jigging shads, and nils master jigging minnows. The best to use in the evening are the glow colored nils master jigging minnows. Tip all with a small minnow head, a tiny minnow head. For rapalas, the #5 is the best all around size, fished on 8 or 10 pound mono or fluorocarbon.
Other good walleye lures are buckshot rattle spoons, kastmasters, and swedish pimples. Tip those with a larger minnow head.

Tyler
Politically incorrect, and proud of it.

Offline Kolby

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #4 on: Jan 25, 2005, 10:10 PM »
Something else a little different with the tipping part.  Most spoons that have a baifish pattern on them have big eyes on top like my favorate - buckshot rattle spoon.  Tip that treble with about a 1/2 inch section from the tail of the minnow forward, piece it on so it looks like an extension of the spoon.  It look O so good on the Aquaview and the eyes attack it!  Just do slight 1/2 inch jiggles with the rod tip to make that tale flip and wag.  You've got clear water and walleyes that will come in close to inspect the offering, sometimes this subtle change from a head to tail will trigger those half-hearted fish.  Not sure how smart fish are but a minnow with two heads and one head flapping around isn't very normal - but yes it works well to :P  I think that's the main reason the Swedish Pimples with the little flapper are such solid lures. 

PS:  I think if some manufacturers would make a "jointed" jigging lure like this, it would be absolutely killer!!!   

Offline Icephishnphreek

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Jan 27, 2005, 10:16 AM »
Thanks for the tips!! I will put them to good work this weekend! ;D

Offline Icephishnphreek

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Jan 31, 2005, 09:26 AM »
Tried all of your tips this past weekend but ended up with no walleyes. :( I cant wait to give it another shot

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.