New York Ice Fishing sponsored by

Author Topic: SOUTHERN N.Y. THREAD (L.I., WESTCHESTER, PUTNAM, DUTCHESS, SULLIVAN, ORANGE COUN  (Read 1091943 times)

Offline ActiveTrapChecker

• Team IceShanty Maniac
6” of black ice sunday before the snow storm off browns

Offline mr.clean

• Team IceShantyholic
  • new windsor,ny.
 Hello ,I hope everyone and their respective families is doing well ,thank you for the recent ice condition reports. If you have not checked the NY. contest,tournament and derby's topic found near the top of the NY. General Forum page 1 there are listing for several events in Sullivan County.

Laker5911 thank you for the information on Harriman and Sterling Forest state parks. As many of you know the Palisades Interstate Park Comission (PIPC) which manages these two parks along with Rockland Lake State Park  will not open lakes they allow ice fishing on until there is a minimum of 6 inches of ice cover on majority of a lake. Below are some phone numbers and times you can call to get reports.

Lake Tiorotti Beach office(Harriman) (8450-429-8257   8AM-12 Pm , 1PM-3:30 Pm 7 days a week excluding holidys.

Sterling Forest Visitors Center (845)-351-5907   8AM-4PM /7 days per week excluding holidays               
                        Rockland Lake (845)-268-3020 I assume similar hours and days
                        Bear Mountain State park (Hessian Lake)  (8450-786-2701              again I assume Bear Mountain and Lake Welch have similar hours.
                        Lake Welch Beach  (845)-947-2444
                  REMINDER YOU NOW HAVE TO INCLUDE THE AREA CODE WHEN DIALING EVEN IF YOUR RESIDE WITH-IN THE 845 AREA CODE .
                  ALSO FOR YOUR INFORMATION ROUTE 106 WHICH RUNS BETWEEN ROUTE 17 AND THE KANAWAUKE TRAFFIC CIRCLE IS CLOSED FOR THE SEASON
SO IF USING ROUTE 17 TO GET TO HARRIMAN YOU NOW HAVE TO CONTINUE TO SLOATSBURG IF TRAVELING SOUTH AND USE SEVEN lAKES DRIVE TO ENTER THE PARK YOU MAY ALSO USE THE LAKE TIOROTTI/SLIVER MINE LAKE EXIT OFF OF THE PALISADES PARKWAY.

Everyone have a good ice fishing season stay safe some of our area lakes only recently totally froze over so there maybe spots of thin ice.

Steve

Offline Another_Sully

• IceShanty Rookie
Laurel Meadows Pond and Little Dam Lake in Sterling Forest State Park are open.  Still nothing in Harriman State Park.

In Harriman: Askoti, Skannatati, Nawahunta now open - plus those same two in Sterling.

Offline mr.clean

• Team IceShantyholic
  • new windsor,ny.
 Another_Sully welcome to Ice shanty, thank you for the update on lakes now open for ice fishing in Harriman State park.
  Steve

Offline hardwater diehard

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
Any folks know if White Lakes and/or Lake  Huntington parking lots in Sullivan Conty have been plowed out ?
Give a man a fish he eats for a day .Teach a man to ice fish he has an obsession for a lifetime

Offline Ice Wine

• Team IceShanty Regular
Any folks know if White Lakes and/or Lake  Huntington parking lots in Sullivan Conty have been plowed out ?

Lake Huntington is plowed. Still a little icey but cleared of snow.

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
Lake Huntington is plowed. Still a little icey but cleared of snow.

Thanks ..they do a good job or just a pass  ? I know that P/lot is tiny ..been there when you could just fit two cars in there.
Give a man a fish he eats for a day .Teach a man to ice fish he has an obsession for a lifetime

Offline BGIII

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Bill Gallagher
Anyone know if people have been out on West Branch in Putnam?
It’s butt cold out here and I’m fresh out of beer

Offline jrock13

• IceShanty Rookie

I think west branch is still open. East branch is frozen with about 5” in some coves. We fished Saturday morning in the milltown rd cove

Offline Subway4X4

• Team IceShanty Regular
Askoti Lake was a grind yesterday.  Nothing all day until I hit the twilight bite and brought up two largemouth bass.

A good six inches of ice.
Old Noob - Sponsored by my lovely wife.

Offline Miles59

• IceShanty Rookie
Askoti Lake was a grind yesterday.  Nothing all day until I hit the twilight bite and brought up two largemouth bass.

A good six inches of ice.

I was across the street from you at Skannatati yesterday. At least 6” of good ice there too.  Managed to get 4 small largemouth, but otherwise slow.  All on tip ups with minnows.

Offline Crappyice

• IceShanty Rookie
Anyone ice fishing on Lake Gilead or Gleneida yet? Are they locked up?

Offline Subway4X4

• Team IceShanty Regular
I was across the street from you at Skannatati yesterday. At least 6” of good ice there too.  Managed to get 4 small largemouth, but otherwise slow.  All on tip ups with minnows.

Come by and say hi next time!  Ima the only Filipino island boy you’ll ever see ice fishing.

Offline Coldfusion

• Team IceShanty Regular
Anyone ice fishing on Lake Gilead or Gleneida yet? Are they locked up?

Gilead, Gleneida, Cross River, West Branch, Croton Falls, and Bog Brook are still open water.

East Branch is safe. Fished off of Milltown Road by the Causeway on Saturday and Sunday. Yellow Perch and one nice largemouth bass provided the action for me on both days.

Offline Crappyice

• IceShanty Rookie
Thanks Coldfusion. Hoping things really lock up across the board over these next few days. Wish that nor’easter would hold off until the ice is more established.

I called up to FDR Lake Mohansic. They still have some open water but 4” most places. They will announce it open and safe only after 6” and fully frozen…could be soon.

I also heard Canopus lake was busy last weekend from a buddy who was hiking the area.

Be safe

Offline kings9

• IceShanty Rookie
Is there any ice on titicus reservoir? ???

Offline tjk3rd

• IceShanty Rookie
Took a ride yesterday.  Guys were out on Gilead towards middle as well as down right side.  Gleneida was 95% covered but clearly not safe yet.  Diverting and Middlebranch were being fished.  I never checked ice thickness just what I saw from my car so be safe wherever you go.

Offline laker5911

• IceShanty Rookie
Anyone willing to share their thoughts on Little Dam Lake.  Looking to learn about access, average depth and preferred species.  (It looks like access from Bramertown Rd is fairly long when pulling two smitty sleds of gear.)

Offline jghunter

• Team IceShanty Regular
Any one fishing swan lake contest this weekend?? Ice thickness? ATV? Thanks guys.

Offline mr.clean

• Team IceShantyholic
  • new windsor,ny.
Hello Jghunter,I will not be attending the Swan Lake Fire department contest this Sunday but here is some information the maybe of help to you and other planing to attend the contest.The Fire department to my knowledge has a Facebook account which should have info. about the contest and possibly ice conditions. Look for Swan Lake ,NY.Fire Department Hose Co# 1
Three of the radio stations that broadcast in Sullivan county belong to the Bold Gold Media group below are the stations and their frequencies. I will also give a link to one station's website and Facebook. If I hear any updates about the contest for a contact person I have will post them here in the SENY thread and also pass on to NY. moderator Raquettedacker so he can update the contest posting in the NY. contest,tournament,derbies thread foun near top of page 1 of the NY. general ice fishing board/forum.

WSUL-98.3 Fm , WVOS-95.9 FM, Thunder 102&104.5 Fm     website for WVOS www.boldgoldnewyork.com>wvos    Facebook  www.facebook.com/wvosfm

All of the stations had the contest listed on their respective events calendars . last i check Sullivan County is forecast to receive between 1-3 inches of snow from the coming storm. Since the contest is on Sunday there should be time for the parking area/areas to be plowed. Best to you with the fishing on Sunday.

Mr.Clean/Steve

Offline jghunter

• Team IceShanty Regular
Thank you

Offline Subway4X4

• Team IceShanty Regular
Tomorrow’s looking brutal coz of the storm. Sunday’s gonna be a good fishing day!

Offline mr.clean

• Team IceShantyholic
  • new windsor,ny.
Jghunter,you are welcome glad I could be of some help.
 Steve

Ps. Check your personal message in-box.

Offline Iron_Angler

• IceShanty Rookie

Scouting run Weds.  West Branch main lake is open water and the causeway north side is a hard pass for me.  East Branch has some fishable ice if you pack light (I don't).  Bog Brook and Gleneida is a no-go.  Gilead I've fished 3x this week; same story as most of the other similar local waters, there is old ice that I trust and areas that were open water last week.  I'm still wearing a life vest and spudding everywhere I walk.  Can't speak as to the other Putnam waters but, just like last year, I have seen more people out there than I've ever seen before, and I also haven't heard of any water rescues yet. 

Offline mr.clean

• Team IceShantyholic
  • new windsor,ny.
Iron Angler, thank you for the  reports on NYC reservoirs in Putnam county. Happy to read you have heard no reports of water rescues. friendly reminder to all who plan to head out fishing after this storm the new snow will cover any areas of newly formed thinner ice so bring and use your spud/ice chisel and like iron angler  wear a life vest or float-assist clothing ,ice picks and have a throw rope.

Doing a quick check of weather conditions in Swan Lake,NY. earlier this morning the air temperature was 11 degrees head to a forecast high of 14 degrees and the area had received one inch of snow. Another 2-3 inches of snow are forecast to be received from this storm.  So I think tomorrow's fire deparment ice fishing contest while be held as scheduled. Details on the contest canbe found in the NY. contests ,tournaments,derbies thread mantained by member raquettedacker and found near the top of NY.General forum/board page no.!

Best to all fishing this weekend , Have fun and stay safe.
  Steve

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
Snow is slowing down and tapering off. Looks to be 4ish inches of powdery snow in lower Sullivan Co NY..sure to be less as you head further north in the county. Winds will pick up later so some blowing and drifting on the shorelines will make for some difficulties depending on your access points .

Offline Gamalot

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Snow is slowing down and tapering off. Looks to be 4ish inches of powdery snow in lower Sullivan Co NY..sure to be less as you head further north in the county. Winds will pick up later so some blowing and drifting on the shorelines will make for some difficulties depending on your access points .

I tried to send you a PM and it says your box is full????
If I agreed with you we would both be wrong!

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
I tried to send you a PM and it says your box is full????

fixed it

Offline Frozengills

• IceShanty Rookie
Greetings ice anglers, for anyone that's interested I drove through Harriman late yesterday and Sebago, Kanwakee and Tiorati are now flagged green. I fished Askoti a couple of times this past week and only had one tip up trigger it but I yanked on it maybe too soon and lost it. Was out there all day Thursday with no action at all. I was still happy to be out on the ice after the last few Winters didn't have any substantial ice. Hoping to hit Sebago and Tiorati next week before the warm-up. Good luck and stay safe. Cheeyaz

Offline Subway4X4

• Team IceShanty Regular
Thanks frozengills. I’m headed out tomorrow!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.