New York Ice Fishing sponsored by

Author Topic: SOUTHERN N.Y. THREAD (L.I., WESTCHESTER, PUTNAM, DUTCHESS, SULLIVAN, ORANGE COUN  (Read 1091957 times)

Offline mr.clean

• Team IceShantyholic
  • new windsor,ny.
Fishmaniac2021, I see you already posted this question in the NY.reports&conditions listing for Greenwood Lake. The lake is also listed in the NJ. Reports& Conditions forum/board under Greenwood/Passaic  no new reports there on ice conditions only post like yours asking about the north end of lake.

In case you or anyone else has not heard this news the Village of Greenwood Lake board passe a law now requiring you to purchase a permit in order to park at the village park on Windmere Avenue. Cost is ten dollar per day and permit is only valid for one day. You can purchase permit at the Village hall between the hours of 8Am-4Pm Monday-Friday . Under the Greenwood  lake listing in the NJ. board on page 6 member NJsquatch posted a link to Village's website  which shows the new law. If you plan to use the park to access ice read up on the law to prevent any problems.

Sorry i don't fish the lake so can not give a report on ice conditions.

Steve

Offline Glenmere

• IceShanty Rookie
That's just wonderful!
What's next?
So much for being a Warwick taxpayer!

Offline laker5911

• IceShanty Rookie
That's just wonderful!
What's next?

If you live in the Town of Warwick. A permit is not required.

“ As of January 1, 2022 there is a village law requiring non-residents have a fishing permit from the Village of Greenwood Lake to fish from shore or accessing the lake from shore for ice fishing. The law does not require a permit for the following: residents of the town of Warwick, anyone who works in the Greenwood Lake School district boundary/Greenwood Lake community, those staying at legal rentals, bed and breakfasts, motels / hotels as well as guests of ANY resident of the Village of Greenwood Lake. All others will require a permit from Village Hall. Permits are $10 a day and are good for the same day purchased. Permits may only be picked up from Village Hall between the hours of 8am – 4pm Monday through Friday.”

Offline mr.clean

• Team IceShantyholic
  • new windsor,ny.
Laker5911 thank you for posting information on the Greenwood Lake village board law about the permits. below is a link to the Villages website,hopefully i do things right and everyone will be able to see and read about this law.

https://villageofgreenwoodlake.org/

steve

Offline Fishmaniac2021

• IceShanty Rookie

Thank you for the info mr. Clean and Laker!
Wow, that’s sucks! $10 per day and only during the workweek? Who’s gonna come? Is that the reason, they want to keep outsiders away? I spend money by filling up gas, buying snacks and sometimes eating in a village, is that so bad for local economy? Too many questions, but only one answer, no more Greenwood for me, sadly. I liked the spot, not too far from the city, has parking and fishing is decent. Also gets pretty at the sunset, at least that’s what my wife says, while I stick my nose to the ice hole waiting for that evening yellow perch bite ;)
 Found picture from some years ago with my favorite white perch and few crappies, bunch of little boogers, but so good when pan fried  :thumbsup:

Offline Glenmere

• IceShanty Rookie
Thanks Laker !

Offline mr.clean

• Team IceShantyholic
  • new windsor,ny.
Fishmaniac2021, you are welcome, this is just my humble opinion but during this Covid pandemic Greenwood lake area (Harriman,Sterling Forest State Parks) has seen an increase in visitors to the area. I had to drive through the Village of greenwood lake this past Summer and it was crowded with people ,lake packed with all types of boats. The Town of Tuxedo also had to place no parking signs on the section of route 17 near where the AT (hiking trail) crosses the highway due to the high number of vehicles parked on shoulder of the highway. So yes I can see the permit being a way to lower the number of people using village facilities and reduce fishing /overall pressure on the lake. I know before this pandemic the U.S coast Guard was called in at times to patrol the lake in Summer due to numerous problems.

Steve

Ps. Keep a watch on your personal message in-box i will send you some info. on a couple of Lakes in Orange count that are not to much longer of a drive from the Greenwood Lake area.

Offline Crappyice

• IceShanty Rookie
Fished Lake Mohansic in Yorktown. Buddy nabbed a nice crappy, one bass on a tip up  and had a few flags run off with no hook ups.
Jigging without electronics seems less than ideal as we watched another angler do worlds better not far from where we were.

Anyone have a Marcum Showdown 2.0 or 5.6 for sale!!!!! That thing looked sweet and simple

Offline Fishmaniac2021

• IceShanty Rookie
I’ll be waiting for those lakes mr.Clean, thank you very ice!
IMHO Pandemic turned everyone’s heads upside down, but it makes no sense to me why would u keep strangers away, coz we bring at least some income vs none  !?!?
Why do you suggest it brought more visitors to those areas during pandemic? I would expect actually less  ???
Tight lines iceheads  :tipup:

Offline Mikey Ice

• Team IceShanty Regular
Greenwood Lake sucks anyway
10 bucks a day lol
🤬🤬🤬NJ

Offline mr.clean

• Team IceShantyholic
  • new windsor,ny.
Good day, Fishmaniac2021 check your personal message in-box you should have received 2 messages from me.

This is just my humble opinion based on what i saw while passing through the Harriman-Sterling Forest-Greenwood Lake are on Memorial Day and July Fourth of 202o to visit relatives in Northern New Jersey. While driving south on route 17 on Memorial Day when I reached the spot where the Applachian Trail crosses the highway there was at least fifty cars parked on the shoulder of roadway and numerous people walking about. When I reached Sloatsburg area that day it was also packed with people. On my July Fourth trip there were Info. message boards up on route 17 saying that certain parking area in Harriman State park were already full,the section of s route 17 where i had observed all the cars back on Memorial day now had numerous No parking signs placed here by the state police. I assume things were similar in 2021. I had a friend who lived in Greenwood Lake during the early-mid.1990's and back then he was already telling me of problems mostly during the Summer related to people visiting the lake and village. Since the lake crosses the NY.NJ. border both states had asked the U.S. Coast Guard to help them enforce boating rules .Personally think a combination of all these things lead to the passing of  new law.

possibly if enough people complain to the village board about this law they will make the permits available for purchase at other locations in the village which are open on weekends and maybe revisit and make changes to the law once again just my humble opinions. Since I and I'm sure others do not want to see endless discussion of this subject lets all move onto other topics.

Respectifully yours. Mr.Clean/Steve

Offline mr.clean

• Team IceShantyholic
  • new windsor,ny.
Good evening, in the General Ice fishing forum you will find the topic "Found" started by member Corndog. He was fishing at Blue lake in Sterling Forest earlier today and recovered a chair left by another person who was fishing the lake. If you are missing a chair from your gear please send Corndog a personal message with description so he can return the chair to you.

A MODERATOR MAY MOVE HIS POST TO THE NEW YORK GENERAL FORUM  * uPDATE THIS TOPIC HAS NOW BEEN MOVED TO THE NEW YORK GENERAL FORUM.
Thank you,Ice Shanty/Scott .

Steve

Offline Fishmaniac2021

• IceShanty Rookie
Thanks mr Clean, got your info, much appreciated! 

Oh summer might be a different story, never been there during summer, I have ocean next to me and I don’t like bugs that much.
I just think for ice fishing there won’t be much increase in people all of a sudden, it’s sort of a more exotic hobby, requires special gear and a bit of a sadomasochistic personality  ;)
I just wonder how they gonna check those licenses? Get on ice and walk to every fisherman? It’s not a small lake. Well I guess they can use snowmobile. That’s how you creat jobs…that are useless
Whole thing just ridiculous, it’s still a public lake, we already paying a license fee to the state, they stock it with fish on our account. So locals can use it but outsiders have to shell out $10 bucks a day and not even allowed to fish on a weekend? That’s nonsense! Screw them, not supporting this crap! 

Offline mr.clean

• Team IceShantyholic
  • new windsor,ny.
Good Morning, I see that Corndog replied to my post in the Found topic early this morning. He hopes to get to Blue Lake today and see if the fishermen he thinks owns the chair has returned to fish today. If he does not see this person he will leave the chair at park's Visitor's center. I suggest you message Corndog or call the Visitor's center before traveling to the parkto claim chair if you are the owner.

On another subject related to Sterling Forest looking at the extended weather forecast for this week my town New Windsor,NY will see daily highs in the forties until Saturday assuming the area of park sees similar temperatures lakes may close to fishing. so once again I suggest making a phone call before heading to the park.

Sterling Forest visitor' center  (8450-351-5907    between 8AM-4PM daily  with the exception of certain holidays.

Fishmaniac2021 good to read you received my message hope it is of some help to you . I agree with your statements hopefully the mayor and Village board get plenty of negative feed back to the law and repeal it or makes changes to the law.

Steve

Offline pooley

• Team IceShantyholic
  • It's cold in here!
Hey Corndog and mr. Clean. That's my buddy's chair. Message me and I'll get it back to him. He was happy to see someone honest found it. Great people on here!
 T-7 Custom Rods   OFFICIAL B.BREAKER OF NYRC      i volunteer because your life depends on it! 343

Offline mr.clean

• Team IceShantyholic
  • new windsor,ny.
Pooley, I will send Corndog a message to contact you in case he did not see your post here in the Southern NY. thread. Happy to read the chair's owner has been found.

Steve

Offline pooley

• Team IceShantyholic
  • It's cold in here!
Thanks Steve!
 T-7 Custom Rods   OFFICIAL B.BREAKER OF NYRC      i volunteer because your life depends on it! 343

Offline mr.clean

• Team IceShantyholic
  • new windsor,ny.
Pooley you are welcome. you should have a message from me in your PM in-box.
  Steve

Offline FM67

• IceShanty Rookie
That's just wonderful!
What's next?

Interesting, Warwick/Florida  does exactly the same thing,. Stinks being minutes away and treated like second class citizens huh.

Offline Corndog

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • waiting for the ice....
Hey Corndog and mr. Clean. That's my buddy's chair. Message me and I'll get it back to him. He was happy to see someone honest found it. Great people on here!
Hey Pooley
I sent you a message, but just in case, I turned the chair into the woman at the Visitor Center at Sterling. Have your buddy give them a call, or, message me describing it and I will let you know if it's the one I found. I'm sure it is.
Hope it's his, and if so, glad I could help
It is what it is....

Offline pooley

• Team IceShantyholic
  • It's cold in here!
Thank you Corndog!

Offline mr.clean

• Team IceShantyholic
  • new windsor,ny.
Corndog,Pooley good to see the two of you have touched base may the chair that is now at the Sterling Forest visitor's center be the property of your friend Pooley. Corndog thank you for making the effort to get the chair back to it's owner. Happy to have been of minor assistance in this matter.

Steve

Offline Corndog

• Team IceShanty Addict
I can't stand the suspense..did the guy pick up his chair?
Is there a reward?
Was the woman at the visitor center pleasant?
I gotta know!!!! :woot:
It is what it is....

Offline beachwoods 16

• Team IceShanty Addict
I can't stand the suspense..did the guy pick up his chair?
Is there a reward?
Was the woman at the visitor center pleasant?
I gotta know!!!! :woot:
. I've been waiting patiently....but yeah What happened? ;D Also weather not too bad for K.O.T.I. so far!

Offline Corndog

• Team IceShanty Addict
. I've been waiting patiently....but yeah What happened? ;D Also weather not too bad for K.O.T.I. so far!

RIGHT??!!
I mean, come on now...its been days!!
It is what it is....

Offline Gamalot

• Team IceShanty Maniac

K.O.T.I. is on Sunday February 20th. We won't have an accurate weather prediction until about Friday the 18th. A lot can happen in 10 days. Temperatures and snow could turn White Lake into a bucket of slush or stiff winds could make fishing miserable. I have fished it in both conditions but the one condition that will ruin it for me is bitter cold with high winds. We won't know until Friday what to expect. If I really do get a second reincarnation I want to come back as a Meteorologist, they can get it wrong more often than right and still get paid the big bucks. BTW, I fished White lake on Tuesday, 14 inches of ice but don't dare leave a fish on the ice while you go back to the shanty for a new hook.

If I agreed with you we would both be wrong!

Offline jghunter

• Team IceShanty Regular
Awesome pic!!! You can almost hand feed them there .

Offline Gamalot

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Awesome pic!!! You can almost hand feed them there .

My buddy took the picture and saw the eagle coming while I was 100 yards away. It horrified me because the pickerel still had a hook way deep that I cut off hadn't yet taken out. I don't care if they swipe a fish or two but I damn sure don't want to kill one if it eats a hook. Hand feed them, just don't turn your back on those thieves. We had a pair watching us all day from way over 200 yards away and they don't miss a trick.
If I agreed with you we would both be wrong!

Offline mr.clean

• Team IceShantyholic
  • new windsor,ny.
Good evening, Gamalot please give my thanks to your friend for taking the photo of the eagle. Thank you for the report on ice thickness at White lake. May the Eagle not have ingested the hook still left in the pickerel . It is nice to see the Eagles hopefully they do not like some other wildlife start associating humans as a source of food and become a problem.

Pooley I'm also curious was the chair Corndog found your friend's and has he picked it up from the visitor's center.

Jghunter how did you and any buddy's do at the Northern Challenge in Tupper Lake.

Friendly reminder this Saturday (Feb.12TH) the Hurleyville Fire Dept.& Town of Fallsburg Youth Commission are have the annual contest at Morning side Lake in Hurleyville. Info on the contest can be found in the New York  tournaments,Contests and Derbies thread found near the top of page 1 of New York ice fishing forum/board. you can also visit this website scroll down the page to see contest information.   www.hurleyvilleny.com

Steve

Offline jghunter

• Team IceShanty Regular
Fishing was very slow . Only had one pike on and lost it before the hole. 1000 guys entered not many fish caught and small biggest was only 7lb.fun time though. 0 degrees all day.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.