Author Topic: acorn grubs  (Read 3728 times)

Offline Spider1

• Team IceShanty Maniac
acorn grubs
« on: Oct 20, 2016, 10:21 AM »
Does anybody collect acorn grubs? I experimented with them the last couple years. The first year I had a lot of difficulty keeping them alive. I would but a few layers of newspaper in the bottom of a bucket and fill the bucket half way with acorns and collect the grubs every couple days. I would get about 50 of them each time but they would die on me pretty quick. Tried everything from corn meal to newspaper, leaf litter to dirt. Finally settled on dirt that was left out to freeze which worked ok but it was a bear to bust apart for bait through the season.

In the second season I found the best solution. I froze them. Nothing else in the container, just collected them and and put them in a small tupperware container and popped them into the freezer. When I needed some I would take out a few dozen and leave the rest in the freezer. they lasted all winter into the spring. The ones I took out would thaw out and wiggle around until I used them and I would put them back in the freezer when I was done for the day.

In case you didn't know, acorns, and I found them mostly in red oak acorns, are full of the things often getting 2 or 3 out of a single acorn but many acorns didn't have any. They look kinda like wax worms but are the size of a fat maggot.

Just figured I'd throw it out there.

Offline hardwater diehard

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
Re: acorn grubs
« Reply #1 on: Oct 20, 2016, 10:36 AM »
Very interesting ....are you using this years acorns to produce this years bait ...also where are you storing your bucket ...outside ...basement.. etc ?
Give a man a fish he eats for a day .Teach a man to ice fish he has an obsession for a lifetime

Offline Deal Ninja

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Oct 20, 2016, 11:04 AM »
I'm trying Chestnut weevils right now.  Collecting them and putting them in the fridge when they're emerging from the shells with nothing added.  Want to see how long they'll keep.  Never tried this before so I'm shooting from the hip as well.  The largest ones are about the size of a fly maggot.  So far (two weeks or so for the oldest) they are keeping just fine in the fridge. 
DON'T DILLY DALLY!!!   ;D

Polar Bird 3T, Eskimo EVO 1it
8" K-Drill, 8" Nils Arctic Trekker, Milwaukee Mud Mixer, Milwaukee 2704-22, Clam Plate, Adapters to make everything work with everything. lol
Marcum LX-7s (2) Dakota Lithium powered

Offline Spider1

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Oct 20, 2016, 11:10 AM »
You have to collect the acorns pretty much as soon as they fall. The grubs bore their way out of the acorn pretty fast after it hits the ground. When you look at an older acorn and see a small hole in it, that's from the grub. They drop out of the acorn and burrow into the ground. I keep the bucket in the basement and dump it carefully onto a large piece of cardboard. The grubs are usually inside the newspaper but they are sometimes in with the acorns also. I've had them bore out as I am sitting there collecting them. I usually get about 50 grubs at a time and I just put them into the tupperware container and into the freezer. Then I dump the acorns back into the bucket. They usually produce grubs for a month or more. I have 3 different types of oak trees in my yard, a white oak, a chestnut oak and a red oak. I usually only find them in the red oak acorns for some reason. I've heard that they also like hickory nuts as well. The grub matures into the acorn weevil.

Offline wolverine

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • If I ain't gettin em I'm Lookin
« Reply #4 on: Oct 21, 2016, 06:13 PM »
I've been collecting and using them for years from hickory nuts. Easiest bait to collect and I have found that putting them in a container like a butter tub with nothing else works best. Only bait we use all fall and always take some on the ice. I do dump them out on paper towel about once a week and gently roll them around to clean what I think is urine off from them. If you don't they will get a strong ammonia like smell and not last very long. 4-5 five gallon buckets of hickory nuts will yield a few thousand worms on average. The only hard part is collecting the nuts.

Offline Spider1

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5 on: Oct 24, 2016, 05:47 AM »
try freezing some. It's crazy to see them come back to life after freezing and there is no maintenance.

Offline Old Goat

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #6 on: Oct 24, 2016, 03:39 PM »
golden rods here work out ok

Offline TeeBugg

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #7 on: Dec 02, 2016, 11:26 AM »
golden rods here work out ok

just found out about these last season....they work pretty good
"Quit whining and go fishing!"

Offline northrn-duck-assassin

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #8 on: Dec 15, 2016, 02:26 PM »
A local ice fishing bluegill hole here in northern indiana... a guy was fishing with these grubs and outfished everyone of us around him.
Got one goin'!

Offline Spider1

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #9 on: Dec 16, 2016, 05:50 AM »
I got skunked on the grubs this year. The white oaks didn't drop any acorns this year (which never seem to have grubs in them) so the deer hoovered up the red oak acorns as soon as they dropped. To bad too cuz they last all year in the freezer.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.