Author Topic: A couple of tips I know.  (Read 2557 times)

Offline lefty2053

• Team IceShantyholic
A couple of tips I know.
« on: Oct 05, 2011, 12:11 PM »
First is using Berkley Worms, I use the Bubble Gum flavor and have caught Perch and Trout with them. They come in 3" lengths and I use just about 3/4" on the end of my jigs/Lures.  Once a fish hits it they don't want to let go.

Second I learned from a good friend. Never eat Citrus before going fishing. If you eat an Orange the night before  or that day it is something very hard to get the smell off your hands. According to him fish don't bite at all if they sense it.

Everyone knows what happens when you lite a match and bend an orange peel in half. Yes the Space shuttle takes off.
<===Lefty===

Offline Garnet

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Keep the lines tight and the flags high.
Re: A couple of tips I know.
« Reply #1 on: Oct 05, 2011, 12:16 PM »
i have no idea what a match and a bend orange peel can do.....but now that you mentioned it it's going to bother me, so im going to have to do it.  anything i should watch for?

Offline Nutsicles

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Can't sleep, ice season is too short!!
« Reply #2 on: Oct 05, 2011, 12:28 PM »
I think scent is my big problem with catching fish through the ice. I'll use the same jig, line, etc. and people will out fish me all the time. I grabbed the aluminum "wonder bar". We'll see if it works.

I didn't know anything about an orange peel and match so I googled it. Didn't know o.j. was flammeable!!!!  >:D

Offline TheDL

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Oct 05, 2011, 12:32 PM »
Tight lines

Offline lefty2053

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #4 on: Oct 05, 2011, 01:01 PM »
Yea it pretty flammable.  If you are having trouble with scents on your hands it is a very good idea to use a good clean soap and lots of rinsing.

Don't use After shave,cologne or Citrus on your hands. Not that you want to smell like a fruit. LOL
<===Lefty===

Offline joe6

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #5 on: Oct 15, 2011, 11:29 AM »
Do you have an item number for the berkley worms you use? Like from bass pro shop or something?

Offline lefty2053

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #6 on: Oct 15, 2011, 07:08 PM »
No I get them at Walmart though. They are 3" long and I was just looking at them again today. I got to thinking if I buy another pack I will cut them into 1" long pieces and run the hook through them like a regular plastic. Before I would cut a 1" piece and hook it on like a meal worm. They come in a pack of 10,and they were $3.29 so if you get 30 pieces out of them that is pretty cheap for plastic parts. They look like a worm and not just smooth. They had other colors there today. The Bubblegum flavor worked great though and i did use Orange also with good results.
<===Lefty===

Offline lefty2053

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #7 on: Oct 15, 2011, 07:23 PM »
<===Lefty===

Offline joe6

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #8 on: Oct 15, 2011, 07:41 PM »
I was just at my local wally world, 20 feet away from the fishing section and the fire alarm went off. I tried to tell my girlfriend we could hide in the fishing section untill the alarm turned off but she weren't buying it

Offline lefty2053

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #9 on: Oct 15, 2011, 08:34 PM »
These are near the other power baits in the jars. They say Trout but the Perch and even Pike hit them.
<===Lefty===

Offline joe6

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #10 on: Oct 16, 2011, 05:56 AM »
I looked them up last night. Nice little addition to the christmas wish list. So far the only thing I put on my list that doesn't have to do with fishing is socks and undergrunts!! The rest is bait, accessories, thermal undergrunts, and a mad bomber hat. Still havent found a good place to get one of those yet!

Offline lefty2053

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #11 on: Oct 16, 2011, 07:49 AM »
After seeing mad bomber hats I bought one off E-bay. It is a Military one that matches my military Coveralls I got last year. Those coveralls are toasty warm, I expect the hat to be also.

Here it is.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/250898291550?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1497.l2649
<===Lefty===

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.