The ice fishing North Dakota board is sponsored by:

Author Topic: automatic tip ups  (Read 1141 times)

Offline icemogul

• IceShanty Rookie
automatic tip ups
« on: Jan 09, 2014, 07:33 PM »
I've looked through the rules and regulations and I can't figure out if automatic tip ups are legal in North Dakota.

Anybody have an answer?  I've tried getting a hold of a game warden but I need to know asap.

Offline Perch tugger

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: automatic tip ups
« Reply #1 on: Jan 09, 2014, 08:35 PM »
I was told a few years ago that they were not legal here in North Dakota.  I had to stop using my mini slammer as know auto hook set devises are allowed.

Offline SeisMec

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • I'd rather be fishing!
« Reply #2 on: Jan 10, 2014, 01:58 AM »
I know that years ago (70's - 80's) there was an actual reference in the regulations to a self setting hook device or mechanically actuated device, but I didn't see anything just now after reading it again other than that tipups are legal. That doesn't mean that they won't give you a ticket just because it's not there. They like to use the reason  " ignorance of the law is no excuse", even when it's not published in the regulation. The old rule that was referenced was about a claw type device that would clamp onto the fish when the fish hit the bait.

After I get back home next week and if I remember I'll stop by G&F headquarters in Bismarck and see if I can get some clarification and something in writing from them from the Century Code and will post it back here.

If there is a rule against them then one of the things to do is get a petition going for a rule change to try to influence a change to allow a self setting hook device that uses a pole and line. The other thing to do is get your area fisherman to write letters to your state rep's to get the law/rule changed.

Some of the rules:

Legal hook and line equipment for each angler is two poles statewide except: 1 pole at...... and Four poles are legal while ice fishing
No pole may have more than two lures. A lure is defined as any man-made object comprised of metal, plastic, wood and/or other nonedible materials made or used to catch fish. A lure may not contain more than three hooks and the maximum distance between any hooks on a lure may not exceed 10 inches. A single hook may not include more than three points, barbed or otherwise. Spinners and other live bait rigs and harnesses are considered a lure and are legal. Hookless dodgers or attractors used ahead of a lure or bait are legal. An angler must remain within 150 feet of his/her fishing poles that are in active use for fishing. Fishing poles must be checked at least once per hour while fishing. However, when fishing a water body where both open water and ice occur at the same time, an angler is allowed a maximum of four poles, of which no more than two poles can be used in open water. Tip-ups are legal for ice fishing. Each tip-up is considered a single pole.

Offline icemogul

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #3 on: Jan 10, 2014, 06:38 PM »
UPDATE:

The automatic tip up I had in mind was the Jaw Jacker.  I talked to a ND Game and Fish biologist today and that particular automatic tip up is legal. 

The rule that confused me was talking about hooks.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.