The ice fishing MN boards are sponsored by:

Author Topic: Outdoors amendment  (Read 3251 times)

Offline amortec

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • May Your Rattle Reel's Ring Often!!!
Outdoors amendment
« on: Oct 30, 2008, 11:21 PM »
The sales tax is now @ 6.5% and the Amendment is for 3/8 of a % more, or as they say about $5.00 a month for the average family.... I guess I am still thinking this one over......Has anyone heard what the DNR has planed for this money if this thing should pass?  And Yes Just to stay on topic I will have the privilege of buying a shelter license, but that's OK and the local "CO" told us that if you tow your house on a public road it now has to have a trailer license tag... oh ya got to love to pay taxes or are they fee's
I only work so that I can afford to fish, hunt, & farm

Offline Skipper

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShantyholic
Outdoors amendment
« Reply #1 on: Oct 31, 2008, 06:24 PM »
I could type a foot long post about that 3/8 of 1%, but I'm not gonna.....

3/8 of 1% works out to be .375, to equal a total sales tax of 6.875% unless you live in Hennipin County. If you live in Hennipin county, you will be paying 7.025% to help the Twinkies pay for that new ball park also.

Have they made any type of case for this change to the state constitution? I have only heard a few radio spots indicating that our lakes are polluted and this money will fix it, and the arts need more state money to continue making art. If they want me to vote yes, they better make some solid points about where this money is going and what holes it will fill in the state budget. Feel good ads are not going to do it for me.

Texas runs their whole state with a 6.25% sales tax, and they don't pay state state income taxes like we do.

Offline brokenline

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • old nuf to know better, young nuff to do it twice!
outdoors amendment
« Reply #2 on: Oct 31, 2008, 07:56 PM »
does this ammendment benifit all lakes and areas of the state??

Offline Skipper

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShantyholic
Re: Outdoors amendment
« Reply #3 on: Oct 31, 2008, 08:21 PM »
http://ballotpedia.org/wiki/index.php/Minnesota_Sales_Tax_Increase_(2008)

This looks like it explains quite a bit of it.

It looks like the "cons" outnumber the "pros" on that list 10 to one. Some pretty infuencial groups have come out against this.

Offline amortec

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Nov 02, 2008, 07:42 PM »
Thanks for the link "Skipper" that seals the deal! (Read my Lips No New Taxes)!

Offline macker13

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Nov 03, 2008, 01:58 PM »
I've looked into this quite a bit.  Almost everyone who publically supports it qualifies their support with something like "It's not the best, but it's better than nothing."  If we were talking about a law that expires in 5 to 10 years, I could understand that type of thinking, but we are talking about a constitutional amendment.  We better not hold our noses when we vote yes for an amendment!!!

I'm all for the state buying land and lake access so future generations have the same opportunities that we do to hunt and fish.  However, I can't see that funding the Arts to the degree that is in this amendment is reasonable.  If the Arts want public funding, their amendment should stand on it's own merits.  The Outdoors amendment would.  Just take a look at where that funding for the Arts would go.  If it all went to the Orchestra or museums, great, but there are NO specifics as to how it will be spent.  A committee will determine that and we know how well committees make decisions.  How much $$ do you think Public TV and Radio will get?  Too much.

I'm voting NO. 

Offline corny13

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #6 on: Nov 03, 2008, 09:00 PM »
Minnesota land of 10,000 Taxes!  :o  I ment Lakes!

Offline vipercat64

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Nov 04, 2008, 06:04 AM »
Here in NY, our standard rate is 8%...and most places are actually higher!!! 

Of course this doesn't change that you are facing an increase, so we can empathize. 
I love a flag!!!!

Offline amortec

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Nov 05, 2008, 12:48 PM »
Well it passed ... My only hope is that the DNR will spend this money Wisely!!

Offline Skipper

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #9 on: Nov 05, 2008, 04:58 PM »
It all depends who is gonna dole the money out. It will either be used for spotted ferret bat nesting site protection and further restricting the use of our private property, or public land acquisition and stocking programs.

I agree that there are some pretty big problems with some of the watersheds in MN. Little Rock Lake and its connecting waterways are on the list of "distressed waterways" with the federal gov. The Minnesota River shed is in awful shape too. Algae growth due to overly fertile water is causing fish kills in recent years. The Snake and Ann river watersheds are not far from this level of damage too.

We should all keep an eye on who is getting this money. If I feel this money is getting spent in the usual fashion, you can bet my state representative will get a call. The only way to get things done is to hold our elected officials feet to the fire and check up on them often.

I have one thing to say to "the arts"..... :P

Offline pike4some

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • GIT R DONE
« Reply #10 on: Nov 05, 2008, 05:56 PM »
What ever happened to the extra money from taxes you guys used to get back. Now they don't have enough. Theres something wrong with this picture.

Offline amortec

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #11 on: Nov 05, 2008, 09:30 PM »
I just hope that we will be able to find out just how much money the DNR will get each year ! Has anyone ever heard just what kind of money's are received from the Lottery and used for wildlife? If I remember wright the Minnesota Lottery was going to put an end to all the money troubles of the DNR and the environment. Oh man I have to go and find my Tum's :-\ :-\

Offline brokenline

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • old nuf to know better, young nuff to do it twice!
« Reply #12 on: Nov 05, 2008, 09:48 PM »
well it passed....

Offline Uncle Grump

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #13 on: Nov 06, 2008, 07:58 AM »
I just hope that we will be able to find out just how much money the DNR will get each year ! Has anyone ever heard just what kind of money's are received from the Lottery and used for wildlife? If I remember wright the Minnesota Lottery was going to put an end to all the money troubles of the DNR and the environment. Oh man I have to go and find my Tum's :-\ :-\

Yupper - way back when, part of the intent of the lottery was to finance "DNR" (using the word genericly here). Well, seems the legislature got sticky fingers, and that money got diverted....fancy that. When I went to bed on Tues about 10:00, it was going down to defeat, and Weds morning it passed......grr.

I had voted no - the last thing we need right now is more taxes....

UG

Offline macker13

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #14 on: Nov 10, 2008, 03:29 PM »
Remember that ONLY 33% will go for "fish and wildlife habitat" while another 33% will go for clean water (can you say advertising), 19.75% will go to the FineARTS and 14.25% will go to parks and trails.

The money is supposed to be directed by a "citizen's panel."  Here is a quote from Dennis Anderson's column on how the money will be spent.

"The fish and wildlife portion will be overseen by a newly established council made up of eight citizens and four legislators. Hunters and anglers insisted on this to ensure the money is spent as intended. The clean water money likely will be allocated with advice and oversight by a citizens group (this hasn't been finalized yet), with the Board of Water and Soil Resources, the Minnesota Pollution Control Agency, cities and other governments and lake associations likely proposing and effecting most projects. Parks and trails money will be allocated and overseen by county, regional, city and state park authorities, with input from the citizens Parks and Trail Council. The cultural and arts money in large part will be distributed through the State Arts Board (www.arts.state.mn.us), a long-established quasi-state agency that in turn funnels money to arts and cultural councils and groups statewide."

As they say in the A-1 steak sauce commercial "Yeah, it's that good"  (Please read that last sentence dripping with sarcasm).   I'm really interested in seeing how they identify those "eight citizens."  Remember the committee that allocated the funds from the big tobacco lawsuit and what that money was spent on?   Past behavior is a good indicator of future behavior.  Bet on it.

Offline Desperado

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • . . . . . . Happy Trails . . . .. Des .. IBOT #328
« Reply #15 on: Nov 10, 2008, 05:28 PM »
The wisdom of the ancient Chinese called this "the death of a thousand cuts"
Have YOU Clamped YET ?

Offline MnSportsman

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Striper/White Bass, 3+lbs, Put back down the hole
« Reply #16 on: Nov 11, 2008, 05:34 PM »
I voted No on this. I'm still trying to figure out where the money from the lottery that was supposed to go for this same idea went???????

Somebody elses pocket is my bet.
;-(
   - My Best Hunting & Fishing partner..... 21,Jan.98 - 8,May.07......RIP... We'll be together again.... 

Good Luck!! &  "Watch Your Bobber!"

Offline Haywood

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #17 on: Nov 12, 2008, 01:30 PM »
Has anyone ever heard just what kind of money's are received from the Lottery and used for wildlife?

It was on the news, just before the election and less than 5% of the procedes go to the environment! 

Offline amortec

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #18 on: Nov 12, 2008, 08:53 PM »
"en vi ron ment"  (all the things and conditions that surround a person,animal, or plant and affect the health, growth, development, and character of such living things)    5% of lottery moneys goes to all that ... I just hope  that the folks at the DNR don't spill any, cause theres not much to put in that glass!    The way that they use the ENVIRONMENT word its just like a very large paint brush...

Offline tracker 1

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #19 on: Nov 12, 2008, 09:15 PM »
Most parts of NY are 8.5% and some are 9%. It doesn't help you but thought I would mention it. It will probably get worse before it gets better  as it looks like Al Franken is about to steal your election, shamefull just shamefull. I thought this only happened in 3rd world countries.

Offline Skipper

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #20 on: Nov 13, 2008, 05:15 PM »
If it gets too close, I have some ballots in the trunk of my car too. ::) The Governor is pushing for some election security reform, but I fear it is a dollar short and a day late. :-\

This whole thing stinks and I say we do it over. This time we can set the bar a little higher and put some fear in the people that run it. Minnesota has a history of huge voter turnouts and squeaky clean elections, I would hate to have it tarnished by this garbage.

"en vi ron ment"  (all the things and conditions that surround a person,animal, or plant and affect the health, growth, development, and character of such living things)    5% of lottery moneys goes to all that ... I just hope  that the folks at the DNR don't spill any, cause theres not much to put in that glass!    The way that they use the ENVIRONMENT word its just like a very large paint brush...

My "en vi ron ment" is my fish trap voyager, I will take a check!

Offline Desperado

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • . . . . . . Happy Trails . . . .. Des .. IBOT #328
« Reply #21 on: Nov 13, 2008, 07:44 PM »

It's sad that Franken even got close enough for a recount.

I thought Minnesotans had learned the pitfalls of voting for a CLOWN during the VENTURA administration.
Have YOU Clamped YET ?

Offline amortec

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #22 on: Dec 01, 2008, 07:54 AM »
The Lessard Council Named!!! See the Trib's Sunday's  "Outdoors" columnist  Dennis Anderson.  So what are your thoughts?

Offline macker13

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #23 on: Dec 01, 2008, 09:12 AM »
The Lessard Council Named!!! See the Trib's Sunday's  "Outdoors" columnist Dennis Anderson.  So what are your thoughts?

To be honest, I'm pleasantly surprised at how many Sportsmans groups are represented.  It's two more than I expected!!!  I still think this is a joke and our founding father's must be spinning in their graves. It's interesting that over 1/2 of Pogemiller's and Keliher's picks are legislators.

I hope the media continues to report on the "progress" that this committee makes so we know what is going on. 
I'll reserve my judgements until they start allocating the funds.

Offline amortec

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #24 on: Dec 01, 2008, 08:04 PM »
Well here's how it looks to me  12 council members: two Sen. Ellen Anderson DFL - St Paul  Sen. Bill Ingebrigtsen - R- Alexandra ( former Douglas County sheriff) two  Rep. Rick Hanson DFL South - St Paul  Rep. Bob Gunther -R - Fairmount       "Note that DFL  are both metro"  "R  are both out state"  himmm!   David Hartwell  ---  Minn League of conservation Voters ----  ?      Darby Nelson - former college biology instructor,  and Chairman of the Conservation Minnesota Voters center---- ??     Bob Schroeder ----  Minnesota chapter nature Conservancy ----- ??? Mike Kilgrove  Lino Lakes U of Minn Dept Nat Res Econ ----- ????               All from Metro area.   Les Bensch    Battle  Lake ,  Ashby  Area   Owns, "Viking Valley Hunt Club"  I am very please to see Les on this council,he will make the voice of the sportsman heard a very strong pick!   Wayne Enger,   Perham area  past Pres MN. Deer Hunters Assn. Another very good pick.   That's two for Otter Tail Co!   Scott Rall,--- Worthington---  Pheasants Forever Nobels County President. Jim Cox, .....  Cologne .... Pres Mn Waterfowl assn  If you know any of the last four guys give them a call,  and give them your support ... 

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.