The ice fishing MN boards are sponsored by:

Author Topic: Fishing the Metro  (Read 3073 times)

Offline crappiemaster

• IceShanty Rookie
Fishing the Metro
« on: Dec 03, 2006, 11:49 AM »
Just wondering if any lakes around the metro are safe to fish yet. i know that the channel on coon is froze over and people are out with tip ups. but other than that i havn't heard of any other lakes being fished

Offline Badgermilk27

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Git-R-Done
Re: Fishing the Metro
« Reply #1 on: Dec 03, 2006, 03:04 PM »
We have a pretty good cold snap going now, so I wouldn't be suprised to see the flags flying on some of the bigger waters...I am going out on Tuesday somewhere around St Louis Park.  Just moved up here from Georgia though, so I am open to suggestions on where to go for some good Minnesota fish.
LURE (n): expensive metal or plastic device used to locate rocks and trees on lake and river bottoms.  (also see: disposable)

Offline Desperado

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • . . . . . . Happy Trails . . . .. Des .. IBOT #328
« Reply #2 on: Dec 03, 2006, 03:56 PM »
Made it out today on a small lake in St Paul.  Three other guys walked out with me.  We were the first ones to fish it.  within two hours there were eight guys out there.
I got a 10 inch crappie.  One guy got a small walleye on a tip up.  Other than that it was an assortment of potato chip sunnies and finger sized perch.
Badger, are you familiar with going out on less than 6 inches of ice?
If not, please go with someone experienced and learn from them.  I hate to see fellow fishermen get into life threatening situations.
I am off from work on Tuesday and will be fishing all afternoon.  If you want to drive to St Paul, I'll take you out on some safe ice.
Have YOU Clamped YET ?

Offline Badgermilk27

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Git-R-Done
« Reply #3 on: Dec 04, 2006, 02:23 PM »
Yeah...I don't have all of my gear yet, have to wait till after Christmas before I get any of it, but I would love to just go out and watch or something...I have off on Tuesdays and Wednesdays, so I can escape the wife no problem... ;D  I found out I have two research papers due at the end of this week though, so I would have to play it by ear... Let me know where to meet you and I will look it up in my gazetteer and let me know what time too...maybe I can come out for a little...thanks for the invite!!
LURE (n): expensive metal or plastic device used to locate rocks and trees on lake and river bottoms.  (also see: disposable)

Offline Desperado

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • . . . . . . Happy Trails . . . .. Des .. IBOT #328
« Reply #4 on: Dec 04, 2006, 03:29 PM »
Badger

If you want to go, call me.  I have plenty enough fishing equipment for both of us.  You'd just need warm clothes, good boots, and a fishing license.

I PM'd you my cell phone #.  to read that message, click on the blue blinking envelope in the upper right hand corner of this page.
Have YOU Clamped YET ?

Offline Haywood

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5 on: Dec 04, 2006, 03:56 PM »
5" on Coon this weekend, per a guy that was just coming off of the ice.  I have all of my stuff packed for upper Red this weekend or I would have tried to get out.  That, I had to finish my honey dew list before I go. 

Offline comp

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #6 on: Dec 04, 2006, 04:00 PM »
Leaving for Red in the A.M. staying for the night and heading back Wed. Plan on going out of Agassiz Lodge.   Have you heard anything besides what is posted here? 

Offline Haywood

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #7 on: Dec 04, 2006, 04:27 PM »
Bear Paw has said they are catching everything inside the ice dam in 6-7 feet.  Crappies are slim though. 

Offline comp

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #8 on: Dec 04, 2006, 05:16 PM »
Bear Paw has said they are catching everything inside the ice dam in 6-7 feet.  Crappies are slim though. 
Looks like my fishing partners are all backing out!  I will be by myself it looks like.  Hope to get some help from the guys at Agassiz on a location to fish, its a long drive ( 6 hours) to olny fish one day.  The reward is sometimes woth the risk.

Offline blake_b

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #9 on: Dec 04, 2006, 06:20 PM »
Has any one gone out on Tanners or Battle Creek (mud) yet? I didnt fish it but there was around three inches out on Carver lake in woodbury today, although i was by my self so i just checked it 20 feet out

Offline bassbabe

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #10 on: Dec 05, 2006, 12:06 AM »
hey blake....

have you ice fished on carver before? ever had any luck? any info regarding carver, battle creek (mud) or tanners would be appreciated.

do you know much about Phalen in the winter? thinking of some lakes nearby

thanks

Offline tiger81

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #11 on: Dec 05, 2006, 07:51 AM »
hey guys there are several lakes just north of the metro less than 1/2 hour to fish theres green lake near chisago, and south center which is posting a solid 5-6 inches. reports say there is great crappie and panny action as well as fishing tip ups for nrotherns and bass. i know i hit a lake in this area last year and caught over 500 fish in 1 day about this time of year.  i will be heading out this weekend and will give a report early next week. good luck and be safe

Offline Haywood

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #12 on: Dec 05, 2006, 09:16 AM »
You can easily do that on North Center when the conditions are right.  No huge crappies, but plenty of fun and a few nice enough for the frying pan. 

Offline blake_b

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #13 on: Dec 05, 2006, 01:39 PM »
bassbabe, i fish these lakes in the summer and have always seen people out in the winter on them so i am going to give it a try, are you also in the area?

Offline Dakotapup

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #14 on: Dec 05, 2006, 02:27 PM »
The Forest Lake (1st, 2nd and 3rd) lake are frozen.  But this past Sunday late afternoon we were jigging but it kept freezing our lines.  We just sat there with our tip ups.  Did not catch a darn thing. I would say the ice was anywhere from 3-6 inches.  We were about 200 yards of the shore.  There was some crazy ass fools with there 4wheelers going across the lake.  That was before we had our huge cold spell.  Going out later on today?  :tipup:  :tipup:  :thumbsup:

Offline bassbabe

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #15 on: Dec 07, 2006, 11:19 PM »
Blake,

I am in Woodbury. I would like to find out about lakes close to me. I am not very familiar with which lakes are good for what etc. I would also like to find out about ice conditions on lakes nearby. Any suggestions?

Offline Hard_H2O

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #16 on: Dec 08, 2006, 10:03 AM »
Battle Creek http://thoreau.dnr.state.mn.us/lakefind/lakemaps/c2918011.pdf has been goodd for me during open water.

Tanners supposedly has some walleye http://thoreau.dnr.state.mn.us/lakefind/lakemaps/c0752010.pdf

According to the DNR info Carver should have some pike http://thoreau.dnr.state.mn.us/lakefind/lakemaps/c1187010.pdf

Offline Hard_H2O

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #17 on: Dec 08, 2006, 12:35 PM »
Went by Battle Creek on 94 at 11:50 on the way to lunch and noby was on her. On the way back at 12:30 there is a guy fishing and it looks like a small SUV parked on the ice right on shore.

Offline blake_b

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #18 on: Dec 08, 2006, 10:00 PM »
i got out onto battle creek today at about 2 and was fishing in my portable untill dark, missed a few northerns but saw others pulling them onto the ice nothing of much size, except for the four inch perch that i iced!!!

Offline nailbender

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Beer tastes so much better on ice
« Reply #19 on: Dec 11, 2006, 07:23 PM »
i live about 3 minutes from carver i thought they closed acess in the winter its a good lake in the summer for northern.saw people on battle creeksunday night i gotta get out this saturday  :cookoo:or ill go nuts
If there was no ice I would shake the dice and see if my portable sled worked as a boat

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.