The ice fishing Montana boards are sponsored by:

Author Topic: Tongue River Reservoir  (Read 14764 times)

Offline Seedtree

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • The older I get, the better I was.
Tongue River Reservoir
« on: Dec 10, 2008, 06:18 PM »
Went by there today.  Roughly from the Marina South is skeened over, but there are leads of open water interspersed with unsafe ice.  From there to the North is mostly open water to the dam.

Not likely to be safe until after this cold snap.

Offline Mt.Bucket

• Team IceShanty Addict
Re: Tongue River Reservoir
« Reply #1 on: Dec 10, 2008, 08:12 PM »
What fish are you targeting while fishing Tongue? We are going over in a couple weeks or so crappie fishing and well gonna just chase fish. My goal this winter is to catch a pike over 25 pounds. Maybe I could get that out of the way their. Is there any nice Perch? About how long does it take the lake to freeze over when it is cold like this comeing weekend? Good luck fishing this winter.
Live Free Or Die.

Offline rezeye

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Dec 11, 2008, 12:25 PM »
speared a 36" 12lb northern last year  on  :P    might be headed there next week if all goes well

Offline Seedtree

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #3 on: Dec 11, 2008, 06:25 PM »
I've caught pike, crappie, bass and walleyes at TRR.  A 25 lb pike might be a bit much to ask of TRR, although a friend caught a 44" pike there last year (it wasn't weighed, just measured).

If it gets as cold as they are predicting this weekend, it should be ready to go when the arctic blast finally lets up.

Offline MrMarty51

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #4 on: Dec 11, 2008, 06:28 PM »
I've caught pike, crappie, bass and walleyes at TRR.  A 25 lb pike might be a bit much to ask of TRR, although a friend caught a 44" pike there last year (it wasn't weighed, just measured).

If it gets as cold as they are predicting this weekend, it should be ready to go when the arctic blast finally lets up.

A nice 44" pike would or should be just about 25#

"Every hour spent fishing is NOT taken from ones life"Quote from Grant Boyson

Offline Mt.Bucket

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #5 on: Dec 11, 2008, 09:43 PM »
 All I know is I can't waite to go fish'n on TRR been wanting to go for years. Is there a good campground near? What's in the  town of Decker or another close small town? Is bait availabe close by or on the way? How about North or south end for fishing. I hear fishing around the cliffs can be good. Also how bad are the methane gas pockets? Thank you for any info. Good Luck this year everyone.
Live Free Or Die.

Offline rodrunner

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #6 on: Dec 11, 2008, 10:04 PM »
yes there are methane pockets at TRR. A guy used to be able to drive from rattlesnake to the dam with no worries. Now you have to be careful. This year the res is slow to freeze. Maybe next week after the cold spell she'll ice over.

[img]http://i230.photobucket.com/albums/ee5/elkcrazedfrk/TeamWyoming1.jpg[img]

Offline Seedtree

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #7 on: Dec 12, 2008, 05:56 PM »
TRR is pretty remote with no services in the area.  Decker is a post office, no services there.  I suggest you come with whatever you might need, including gas to get back to the closest station coming from the Montana side at the Battlefield.  The marina is closed for the year, so there are no services at TRR - bring bait too.  Sheridan is about 25 miles or so to the South, but you can't import minnows anymore across the Wyoming line. 

There is another thread about minnow availability in this area (basically, get some in Billings or Huntley on your way). 

There are camping spots all along the Western shoreline of TRR.  Be sure to check if the outhouse is unlocked in the particular area you are camping in.  Some are locked for the winter, some not.

Most of the walleye fishing seems to be in the Southern half.  The Crappies are all over, but around Rattlesnake Point is always good (this is the first camping spot when you come in off the highway).  Ice jigs with maggots work for these guys.

You can have up to 6 tipups a piece here, so bring plenty of bait.  This is a nice area, but be prepared for some desolation in the winter.

Offline rezeye

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Dec 15, 2008, 07:56 AM »
gonna try to hit the tongue this week any ice reports :tipup: :tipup: :tipup: :tipup: :icefish: :icefish:

Offline rodrunner

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #9 on: Dec 15, 2008, 07:45 PM »
After this cold spell the hole thing should be safe to walk on. I'm sure people will be driving their 4- wheelers on the south end.

Offline rezeye

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10 on: Dec 15, 2008, 10:00 PM »
thanks for the report  ;)

Offline rezeye

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #11 on: Dec 17, 2008, 06:52 PM »
got minnows headed there saturday

Offline rezeye

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #12 on: Dec 20, 2008, 02:36 PM »
well i guess im the only one who fishes tongue or wants to
headed there tomorrow sunday hopefully with minnows  ;D ;Dhope there is ice anybody got any reports           "rodrunner" "seedtree" you guys got any info  ;) ;)

Offline rezeye

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #13 on: Dec 20, 2008, 02:50 PM »
you bet 
I just came from the bighorn lake up above and was wonderin if anybody wants to go boating no ice here whatsoever butt still 0 degrees out the water i think is about 40 degrees

Offline Seedtree

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #14 on: Dec 20, 2008, 07:08 PM »
I went by there on Wednesday the 17th on my way to Sheridan, and every part of it I could see from the highway was froze solid.  When I came back by there later in the dark, I saw what appeared to be ATV headlights running out on the ice.  Unfortunately I couldn't fish it that day.  Looking forward to getting out there soon.

Offline rezeye

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #15 on: Dec 20, 2008, 08:02 PM »
cool thanks I mean Ice Cold ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;Dwill be on ice tomorrow

Offline Seedtree

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #16 on: Dec 20, 2008, 08:31 PM »
Beyond the 44" pike, there was a 7+ LB smallie caught there the spring before last.  Both fish were released and are still in there as far as I know.  The smallie would be a new state record.

There are also getting to be some large walleye in there.  But they are tough to catch as they reportedly dine on crappie and bullhead whenever they want to.  A good size crappie/bullhead can tide a good sized walleye over for several days.  There are an estimated 7 million crappie in there and an unknown number of bullhead.

Offline rodrunner

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #17 on: Dec 20, 2008, 09:45 PM »
There is plenty of ice on TRR. The fishing has been slow for the most part. Had one good day.

Offline rezeye

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #18 on: Dec 22, 2008, 09:05 AM »
went fishing sunday and thats what is was     fishing   I wish it would have catching instead of fishing now I dont know how im going to get rid of this skunk smell >:( >:(   didnt spear anything but had some bullheads and one crappie come to the hole

Offline Mooter

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Hey Smitty, Lets fish it! Jigmaster5000's oarman
« Reply #19 on: Dec 22, 2008, 11:20 AM »
Shhhhhhh

The catching was great Saturday Shhhh
And darn cold too.

In pursuit of meat without feet!!!!

Offline rezeye

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #20 on: Dec 22, 2008, 11:51 AM »
nice fish what did you use for the crappie we didnt fish for them much but would like to start targeting them a  little more thanks 

Offline Mooter

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #21 on: Dec 22, 2008, 11:54 AM »
nice fish what did you use for the crappie we didnt fish for them much but would like to start targeting them a  little more thanks 

Forage Minnow

Offline Roper66

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #22 on: Dec 22, 2008, 05:36 PM »
Mooter,

Nice Walleye and great pile of crappie.  How much ice were you cutting over there? 

Offline Mooter

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #23 on: Dec 22, 2008, 05:40 PM »
10" strong

Offline Roper66

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #24 on: Dec 22, 2008, 10:39 PM »
Thanks,

Moved to Montana just in time for ice season last year and had never been to TRR and was clueless about where to fish.  now that I have had a chance to fish it with a boat several times I am excited to get back on the ice over there.  Thanks for the info, maybe we'll see you over there sometime.  Hopefully heading over Saturday.

Roper :tipup:

Offline cutbow_07

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #25 on: Dec 24, 2008, 09:25 AM »
Yeah Im headed down there this weekend as well I believe.  My brother lives in Sheridan so we usually go out a couple times.  I've never fished it till last year and stumbled upon a good spot not more than 300 yards from the highway and 10 yds. from the bank.  I didnt catch any walleye or pike but limited out on crappies in about 15 minutes.  What do you guys tease the walleye in with?  Best of luck and Tight Lines

Offline Mt.Bucket

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #26 on: Dec 24, 2008, 08:33 PM »
We are leaveing Fri. morning TRR and need minnows and I've lost the # for the bait shop in Billings near the golf course. So if anyone has any info I'd appreciate it. MrMarty I think you were the one who posted it. Thank you. See ya there.
Live Free Or Die.

Offline krankbait

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #27 on: Dec 24, 2008, 10:32 PM »
I think you are looking for The Minnow Bucket out by Pryor Creek Golf Course just outside of Billings. 

778 W G Rd
Huntley, MT 59037
(406) 348-2440

Good luck

Eat...Sleep...Fish

Offline Mt.Bucket

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #28 on: Dec 25, 2008, 11:23 AM »
Thank You, I appreciate the quick response.
Live Free Or Die.

Offline rezeye

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #29 on: Dec 25, 2008, 01:41 PM »
hey "da-jigger" bring extra and ya just might see sombody that could use some  ;) ;)

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.