The ice fishing Montana boards are sponsored by:

Author Topic: JAW JACKER  (Read 13650 times)

Offline northhills

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: JAW JACKER
« Reply #60 on: Feb 09, 2014, 05:18 PM »
Awesome.  Thanks for the ideas.

Offline mt.perchman

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • big perch hunter !
« Reply #61 on: Feb 09, 2014, 07:47 PM »
  slickice thanks for the info and pictures!!!

Just finnished 6 of those  bad boys !!!
Ready for some lip-rippin  ;D
Dreaming of a full bucket.

Offline slickice

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #62 on: Feb 09, 2014, 07:55 PM »
Hey Pelter4, glad you made a few "lip-rippers".  You won't be disappointed because they work as well as they look.  Just need to get into some fish.  I'll take you up on that beer too.  Our Idaho guy suggests some changes which are welcome.  However if I'm adjusting for longer rods, I simply increase the leader length that holds the trigger.  As for bite sensitivity, I adjust the angle of the trigger release by simply bending it forward which allows the rod to engage lite biters.  Finding the sweet spot for rod size and bite sensitivity is a snap once you've seen one up close and personal.  I've carefully examined my rod tips for over two seasons now and have yet to see any wear or tear.  Good luck, Slickice.

Offline pelter4

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #63 on: Feb 09, 2014, 08:26 PM »
Hey Pelter4, glad you made a few "lip-rippers".  You won't be disappointed because they work as well as they look.  Just need to get into some fish.  I'll take you up on that beer too.  Our Idaho guy suggests some changes which are welcome.  However if I'm adjusting for longer rods, I simply increase the leader length that holds the trigger.  As for bite sensitivity, I adjust the angle of the trigger release by simply bending it forward which allows the rod to engage lite biters.  Finding the sweet spot for rod size and bite sensitivity is a snap once you've seen one up close and personal.  I've carefully examined my rod tips for over two seasons now and have yet to see any wear or tear.  Good luck, Slickice.
I put snap swivels on the trigger leader to make it easy to shorten/lengthen the leader plus ease on changing triggers. I made one of the trigger releases short and its so sensitive even the lightest bite will set it off...the other trigger has a longer release and should work great for aggressive fish I.e. the elusive Seeley northerner! The beauty of the triggers is they can be changed out in seconds depending on wind, fish aggresveness, etc. I tried bending the trigger to change sensitivity but the triggers are so easy to make, I think it might be easier/faster to just change out to another pre-tweaked trigger. Anyhow, its fun to tinker with and should greatly increase my catches on dead poles.

Offline slickice

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #64 on: Feb 09, 2014, 08:41 PM »
Hey Pelter4 & Mtperchman . . . you guys got it going on now.  Once you have your hands on one, it's easy to grasp the concept behind these units.  They're so flexible to any conditions.  Take them anywhere that fish are biting and you'll wonder how you survived without them.  Enjoy and share the knowledge.  Slickice

Offline slickice

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #65 on: Feb 12, 2014, 04:05 PM »
Just wondering if anyone who copied the design I posted actually tried the "lip-ripper"?  I've been too busy working on other projects and haven't been following the ice shanty site. My curiosity is killing me.

Offline pelter4

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #66 on: Feb 12, 2014, 04:14 PM »
I haven't been out since the cold spell (got down to -42 here). And since I only have a hand auger I'm worried the ice might be more than I can handle BUT I ordered a Ion auger today and as soon as it arrives I'll all try the 'ripper' out on Seeley pike and post my results.

Offline monk38

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #67 on: Feb 12, 2014, 05:03 PM »
I built three of these based on this design, also have a Jaw jacker, I have had them out 1 day, caught only one fish ( trout around 20"), but it was on the Lip ripper and it seemed to work very well.
I am still messing around trying to fine tune the triggers on all 3, seems like the length of cable attaching to the coat hanger is fairly important. 

Thanks for the idea by the way!

Offline mt.perchman

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • big perch hunter !
« Reply #68 on: Feb 12, 2014, 05:43 PM »
I havent had a chance to try them yet. Im waiting go see how good they work. I set one up in the house the other night for the kids and my wife and when it went off we all jumped. ;D
 The fish are in trouble thats forsure...
Dreaming of a full bucket.

Offline slickice

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #69 on: Feb 12, 2014, 08:46 PM »
Keep us all posted with your results.

Offline NwgElkhound

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #70 on: Feb 12, 2014, 09:58 PM »
Thanks for the great info. I used your plan and built 5 this week. Three are headed to fort peck and the two others to Fresno this weekend. Hope we get in to some fish to see them in action. we will keep you posted.

Offline Hard_Ice_Junkie

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #71 on: Feb 12, 2014, 11:31 PM »
I made 2 by just looking at the pictures b4 plans were up loaded,  made to different trigger lenths a shorter & longer, the one that is the closest looking (shorter 1)works the best caught about 20" ling first time out with it. Longer trigger hasn't caught a fish, but probally 10-15 miss's just need to bend a new trigger like my shorter one or just fallow the plans for the trigger. Thanks man

Offline slickice

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #72 on: Feb 13, 2014, 01:27 PM »
Try to follow the drawing as closely as possible because I've tried numerous trigger set-ups before settling on the one that's posted.  On another note, I gave one away to a fellow in Helena last year who fishes CF at least twice a week (mostly for trout & ling).  He used the lip ripper this entire season with 5 other rod set-ups.  He's yet to lose a fish on the ripper which has accounted for 50% of all fish he caught thus far.  I'm fishing there tomorrow & will be hooking up with him on the ice.  He immediately asked if I'd leave another couple lip rippers with him.  I'll give him a hard copy of the plans and one more unit.  Afterwards, it's up to him to make his own.  Good luck guys.

Offline anglerbrian

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Fun n Games Til Someone loses a Walleye
« Reply #73 on: Nov 12, 2014, 11:50 PM »
On my homemade lip ripper I make a loop out of thin wire leader similar to the plastic ones that come with the jawjacker. I use these on the rod tip to put the trigger into instead of going through the rod guide tip. Works great and no wear and tear on guides.

I also drill a hole in the base to put an ice anchor through so the whole assembly stays put on the ice.

Here is a pic of the lip ripper with rod installed and trigger cocked. Where the two parts of the coat hanger trigger touch I whipped it with 20lb power pro and then coated it with 5 min epoxy. this makes the trigger stay in my desired shape.

I also have a jawjacker and in my opinion this is the best automatic hook setter hands down. To prevent freeze up of the jawjacker trigger I spray it with 3 in one silicone spray lube.  I also pull it away from the hole before I reel the fish up.If it is really cold outside (Saskatchewan is COLD!!!) I cut a hole cover out of black puzzle mat drill a two inch hole in the center and cut a 1/2 half inch slot to slide the line through.  Hole won't freeze over and keeps blowing snow from filling the hole in. oh yes we have WIND in Saskatchewan too.
Old fishermen never die, they just smell that way.

Offline Idahogator

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Muckeltonian Society
« Reply #74 on: Nov 13, 2014, 12:41 AM »
Mans many ways.   

What counts, if it works.

I could offer tips in photography, but, your shots make the subject visible as I sort it from the background, that's what I then see.

Good job of DIY.     :thumbsup:

Good luck, Brian.     ;)2          :icefish:

Offline Papa John

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #75 on: Nov 13, 2014, 08:03 AM »
Ya, pretty difficult to see the trip against the white can, but we get the idea. Is it pretty sensitive? Guess I have to take some pictures now, made my trigger from a mouse trap so it trips at the slightest tug. Use them mainly on lake trout. Sure can be fun making this gear, hey?

Offline anglerbrian

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Fun n Games Til Someone loses a Walleye
« Reply #76 on: Nov 13, 2014, 08:17 AM »
Yeah my ice fishing work table is getting pretty full of junk and I was too lazy last night to clear it off for pictures.
Minus 20 here this morning hoping to be able to walk out on some of the lakes by the weekend.
Old fishermen never die, they just smell that way.

Offline sunnyslope

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #77 on: Nov 14, 2014, 07:20 PM »
I have talked to several people on wether jaw jackers are legal? What's the thoughts?

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.