The ice fishing Montana boards are sponsored by:

Author Topic: Ice Fishing Hell Creek  (Read 13925 times)

Offline walleye warrior

Re: Ice Fishing Hell Creek
« Reply #60 on: Jan 16, 2013, 05:44 PM »
 I will be at Hell Creek the week of Jan 20th, any body else from Missoula area?.

Offline b wojo

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #61 on: Jan 16, 2013, 07:30 PM »
hop the ice conditions improve   the marinas ice report aint that great today

Offline sbschindler

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #62 on: Jan 16, 2013, 09:26 PM »
2 days of wind and mid 30's to low 40's temps has softend the ice a tad. the cooler temps predicted is going to help a bunch,

Offline 4EVER406

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #63 on: Jan 16, 2013, 10:36 PM »
Was there yesterday and today.  The ice didn't lose much with the heat and wind.  It mostly just melted the snow on top and made for a wet ride everywhere.  There's still 9 or 10 inches.  The ice is good everywhere west of hell creek, but don't head east or attempt to cross to nelson.  Some guys just down from us speared the hell out of a lot of big pike including a 24 pounder.  Hopefully they post some pics when they get back.

Offline icing_perch

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #64 on: Jan 16, 2013, 10:59 PM »
Was thinking about possibly hitting Hell Creek Sunday and Monday.  My question is can you get many fish within walking distance of the boat ramp or am I looking at 2 miles plus to get on fish.  I have only been there once in the summer so I am willing to walk all the way across the bay and anywhere south of that line.  Just trying to see if I can get on fish within a mile or so.

Offline Wapiti Warrior

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #65 on: Jan 17, 2013, 11:10 AM »
was up there a couple of weeks ago and caught a ton of pike and perch right across the bay from the ramp. I think you can go anywhere and catch pike.

Offline 4EVER406

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #66 on: Jan 17, 2013, 02:01 PM »
icing_perch you shouldn't have any problem icing perch within walking distance of the marina.  Clint has spearing shacks for rent for $35/day I think.  There seemed to be a lot of perch down the hole of his shacks from the little time I spent in one checking it out.

Offline fishin7

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Don't know unless you go!
« Reply #67 on: Jan 17, 2013, 02:32 PM »
4EVER406 did you swim at all while you were up there?  And if you did what depth were you swimming in?  Any info would be appreciated. :o

Offline Smoov iced

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #68 on: Jan 17, 2013, 09:57 PM »
Hopefuly the weather man is wrong and we can get some cold temps and knock this 40 degree crap off

Offline walleye warrior

« Reply #69 on: Jan 18, 2013, 08:07 AM »
 :) Will be fishing Hell Creek all of next week,driving a J.D. Gator,stop and say hi.
                  Steve

Offline 4EVER406

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #70 on: Jan 21, 2013, 02:06 AM »
Fishin7  I don't want to give away any swimming secrets.  Sorry

Offline PJB_Montana

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Ice Ice Baby
« Reply #71 on: Jan 21, 2013, 07:15 PM »
Just spent the weekend at Hell Creek....wow what a trip. Pike everywhere...i caught 2 over 10 lbs..friends got a 15 and 12 pounder...and someone else caught a 24 lb monster while we were there....perch everywhere...caught my first walleye and jumbo perch as well. Pike at all depths. I will be honest...I had my best luck on deadbait....smelt and squawfish...although i did catch a 10.5 lb pike on a large live suckerfish. Sunday was below zero with a windchill of below -20f...stayed in the shack trying to survive it..it killed the bite....btw ice had to be over 10 or 11 inches by the time we left this morning. Hope this helps...you can get onto pike anywhere..we walked about a mile and a half...maybe farther. I highly recommend the trip for anyone contemplating it! Good luck
PJB

Offline b wojo

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #72 on: Jan 21, 2013, 07:29 PM »
hitting hell creek feb 3rd to the 8th or 9th    eskimo fatfish and black homemade fold up  with red kawi and camo grizzly    stop by and say hi, will be camped somewhere in the campground  white mega cab and black ford ext cab

Offline Smoov iced

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #73 on: Jan 21, 2013, 07:35 PM »
PJB Montana sounds like you had a great time, cannot wait till Feb 3rd hope the ice stays hard and the bite hot :tipup:

Offline mknorville

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #74 on: Jan 21, 2013, 09:14 PM »
Heading up there next weekend for 5 days.  So excited

Offline lunker_lake

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #75 on: Jan 21, 2013, 09:39 PM »
I am too! ... Maybe I'll see you  there  ;)  :icefish:  Sounds like some great fishing reports. Hopefully it is as good as last year!

Offline yoteslayer31

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #76 on: Jan 21, 2013, 11:56 PM »
Just spent the weekend at Hell Creek....wow what a trip. Pike everywhere...i caught 2 over 10 lbs..friends got a 15 and 12 pounder...and someone else caught a 24 lb monster while we were there....perch everywhere...caught my first walleye and jumbo perch as well. Pike at all depths. I will be honest...I had my best luck on deadbait....smelt and squawfish...although i did catch a 10.5 lb pike on a large live suckerfish. Sunday was below zero with a windchill of below -20f...stayed in the shack trying to survive it..it killed the bite....btw ice had to be over 10 or 11 inches by the time we left this morning. Hope this helps...you can get onto pike anywhere..we walked about a mile and a half...maybe farther. I highly recommend the trip for anyone contemplating it! Good luck

The 24lb'er was with my crew.  It was my buddy Larry.  You can watch it being iced here.  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WSHY3QEEiTs&list=PLzwk4g8PMg9G5swKS42vlC4bga7RLaJ0e&index=1

v/r
Bill

Offline PJB_Montana

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Ice Ice Baby
« Reply #77 on: Jan 22, 2013, 09:46 AM »
Nice man! Awesome weekend!
PJB

Offline PJB_Montana

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Ice Ice Baby
« Reply #78 on: Jan 22, 2013, 09:53 AM »
The 24lb'er was with my crew.  It was my buddy Larry.  You can watch it being iced here.  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WSHY3QEEiTs&list=PLzwk4g8PMg9G5swKS42vlC4bga7RLaJ0e&index=1

Ya we were the black frabill shack by you guys the first day..great job again! saw your 2 12 pounders..good eatin!
PJB

Offline fuzzydriller

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #79 on: Jan 22, 2013, 10:26 AM »
Awesome fish and filming. We got one 1 like that 4 years ago heading up this weekend for a week can't wait.

Offline MTangler

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Here fishy fishy fishy.
« Reply #80 on: Jan 22, 2013, 06:40 PM »
Just got back from a 3 day trip there and had a blast. We stayed at fellmans in jordan and fished devils creek and hell creek. Long story short- I think PJB summed it up exactly! Already planning another trip for next year.

MTA

Offline PJB_Montana

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Ice Ice Baby
« Reply #81 on: Jan 22, 2013, 10:03 PM »
Just got back from a 3 day trip there and had a blast. We stayed at fellmans in jordan and fished devils creek and hell creek. Long story short- I think PJB summed it up exactly! Already planning another trip for next year.

MTA

Same here MTA..already booked the cabins for next year!  ;D
PJB

Offline yoteslayer31

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #82 on: Jan 22, 2013, 11:05 PM »
Same here MTA..already booked the cabins for next year!  ;D

Booked before we left...
v/r
Bill

Offline PJB_Montana

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Ice Ice Baby
« Reply #83 on: Jan 23, 2013, 11:09 AM »
Hell Creek 1-17-13

PJB

Offline creepincm

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #84 on: Jan 23, 2013, 05:23 PM »
We were there last week as well, excellent fishing and definitely planning another trip for next year as well.

Offline Wollysauce

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Work to live. Live to fish.
« Reply #85 on: Jan 23, 2013, 06:22 PM »
MTangler,  i'm planning on heading up to Devils creek this weekend.  Do you know if  the ice is thick enough to cross to  the Forchette Bay side?

Offline miles city fish freak

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #86 on: Jan 23, 2013, 07:00 PM »
I'm not sure were that is but we were on the point at the main lake and I know with my binoculars I could see people fishing in every direction. Wish I were more help but that's what I know we had a little over 12 inches of good ice.
.......Ice not just for whiskey.......

Offline Wenger

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #87 on: Jan 25, 2013, 09:30 PM »
I'm not sure were that is but we were on the point at the main lake and I know with my binoculars I could see people fishing in every direction. Wish I were more help but that's what I know we had a little over 12 inches of good ice.

How was the road in? Needs chains?

Offline miles city fish freak

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #88 on: Jan 25, 2013, 09:44 PM »
Road was good as it had not thawed in two days.. if it gets to above freezing one well need chains for sure. I was fishing with some local friends from the area and they said it was the best they had seen it in a long time for this time of year. They had a little fishing tournament going and there was about 20 vehicles down at the rec. Area for what that's worth.
.......Ice not just for whiskey.......

Offline Wenger

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #89 on: Jan 29, 2013, 01:55 PM »
Strange forecast on Weather Underground for this weekend....57 at Jordan and 37 at Glasgow. ::) Sure will be a wet one if it really does get to 57.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.