The ice fishing Montana boards are sponsored by:

Author Topic: finicky perch  (Read 2823 times)

Offline mt.redneck

• Team IceShanty Maniac
finicky perch
« on: Oct 14, 2012, 11:13 PM »
when chasing perch I run into a problem or finding perch that just want to look at my presentation. I will raise my presentation to make it look like it's getting away and they will follow all day and just look, any ideas to turn them from lookers into biters?
safe ice, tight lines and god bless!

Offline Cornbread

• Team IceShanty Addict
Re: finicky perch
« Reply #1 on: Oct 14, 2012, 11:25 PM »
When they do that I start switching up my bait until I find something they will hit. I usually go: perch eye, night crawler, white grub, pink grub, red worm etc. until I find something they will hit and if they won't hit anything I build snow men with my kids :) banging the jig off the bottom a few times and then slowly lifting it back up will sometimes trigger a strike for me too.

Offline mt.redneck

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Oct 14, 2012, 11:42 PM »
thanks for the info, it gets a little frustrating watching fish after fish on my sonar just stare at my bait for a good minute and then just swim off,  :P

Offline SPADED

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Watch my rod while i pee...
« Reply #3 on: Oct 14, 2012, 11:52 PM »
when they get like that for me i just down size a bit. if you have been pulling them in with crazy,exciting jigging; slow down your presentation when they get close and if they just stare and dont hit then you prolly need to down size.

when fishing over 15 feet of water downsizing hits a wall where you need to get down fast enough before the school gets out of under your hole but cant use a larger jig to get down faster.... this is when you get out your small tungsten jigs and have some fun!

the only option left is to use a dropper rig.

Offline BigSage

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Whack'm n Stack'm
« Reply #4 on: Oct 15, 2012, 05:47 PM »
I mostly use a small jig a few inches under a pimple or buckshot, etc....  And fish don't always have to eat.  I've had plenty of lookers myself.

Offline mt.redneck

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5 on: Oct 15, 2012, 08:58 PM »
thank you for the info guys. I've messed around with dropping a small jig below a buckshot spoon but might have to try it more often. I've also been getting into tungsten jigs and the more I use them the more I like them.

Offline icing_perch

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Oct 29, 2012, 04:40 PM »
4 words diamond jig and maggots

Offline J_Edwards

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #7 on: Oct 29, 2012, 06:06 PM »
I've had good luck dropping small baits 6" below buckshots, halis, pimples, etc.. Using little tungsten jigs, bugs, ratsos ect.

Offline PerchAssault

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Established 2006
« Reply #8 on: Oct 29, 2012, 11:17 PM »
thanks for the info, it gets a little frustrating watching fish after fish on my sonar just stare at my bait for a good minute and then just swim off,  :P

A LOT of times, that is because your jig is spinning...and sometimes the only way to stop it from spinning is to keep it moving up, down, side to side...and sometimes if you get an odor on your bait that is objectionable to the fish...same result. they will look until they get a whiff...then off they go.  Just some thoughts...
If I\'m not fishing, I\'m probably thinking about fishing...And if I\'m thinking about fishing, I\'m probably not getting much else done so, I might as well go fishing...Yeah, I just said that!

Offline JayHelfrich

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • My kids can out fish you!
« Reply #9 on: Oct 29, 2012, 11:37 PM »
I love light biting perch.  Time to break out the 2# test, tooth pick and cork bobbers, and the micro baits.  Hook them when the water level on the bobber changes!  Fun days!  Anybody can catch them when they are biting hard.  I think an underwater camera is on the list for this season.

Jay
Take a kid fishing.

Kids that hunt, fish, and trap don't rob anyone's grandma!

Offline ULking

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Ice Ice Baby!!!
« Reply #10 on: Oct 29, 2012, 11:53 PM »
You have to break out the 2lb and wet noodle rods?? That's pretty much all I use lol makes every fish feel HUGE  ;D
A bad day of fishin is still better than a good day at work!!

Offline Neptune

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • "The Kokanee Killers"
« Reply #11 on: Oct 30, 2012, 02:30 PM »
there have been many times when I have watched Perch charge in on the video camera when a jig is moving and then stop inches from it and not touch it.  If you stop the motion....all motion(no spin) and then slowly lift often they will bite.  Sometimes its total dead stick stopped, no action at all or they won't touch it.

I've watched the lure spin as Mike stated below and the perch just sit an look and swim off, once it stops then they seem to get interested.  Then there are the other days when you can't get to the bottom without having a Perch attack the lure...

Good Fishing :tipup:

Offline Cornbread

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #12 on: Oct 30, 2012, 03:09 PM »
When they won't take moving jigs like Neptune is talking about a lot of times I take and snell two hooks on the line about eight inches apart and then six inches below that I put a weight to hold it on the bottom. Then I put a perch eye or maggot on the hooks and drop it down until the weight is on the bottom and then set the rod on a bucket so the tip is right over the hole and there is no slack between the weight and the rod tip so when the perch even just tap it I can see the bite. Then I leave it sit dead still until I get a bite. Two years ago in late season on lake Mary Ronan this was the only way I could get them to bite and I was catching a good number and no one around me was getting any except one other guy who was doing the exact same thing I was.

Offline mt.redneck

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #13 on: Oct 31, 2012, 09:59 PM »
thank you for all the information guys. I've thought about trying one of the new ice fishing fly reels that are out but i dunno.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.