The ice fishing Montana boards are sponsored by:

Author Topic: Salting Minnows?  (Read 10186 times)

Offline skip189

• IceShanty Rookie
Salting Minnows?
« on: Dec 21, 2011, 03:18 PM »
Anybody know how to or are currently using salt minnows for ice fishing?  Lakes that I fish don't allow live minnows and read something about salting them instead.

Offline JayHelfrich

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • My kids can out fish you!
Re: Salting Minnows?
« Reply #1 on: Dec 21, 2011, 03:51 PM »
Take a kid fishing.

Kids that hunt, fish, and trap don't rob anyone's grandma!

Offline Walltrout

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #2 on: Dec 21, 2011, 04:15 PM »
That's an interesting link.  Might try it some time.  I have used the little preserved minnows that come in a jar and look similar to the ones on the link and have had good success with them.

"Many go fishing all their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after." - Henry David Thoreau

"If people don't occasionally walk away from you shaking their heads, you're doing something wrong."  John Giera

Offline copperjohn

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Dec 21, 2011, 09:53 PM »
Dump a half cup of salt into your minnow bucket (half gal h2o) one hour before you arrive at your fishing waters/ice.  Freshly killed and legal.  Keep leftovers in ziplocks in freezer for next time.
Gravity's B**ch On Hard Water

Offline bowhtr

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Dec 22, 2011, 07:56 AM »
I have put them in a small bag and just added table salt and then froze them seems to work.  However I find it better to keep live ones and take them out the night before i use them if possable.
><((((º>`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸.·´¯`·...¸><((((º>¸.
·´¯`·.¸. , . .·´¯`·.. ><((((º>`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸.·´¯`·...¸><((((º'>

BOWHTR

Offline tlake

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #5 on: Dec 22, 2011, 12:28 PM »
Sometimes buy salted/frozen minnows at the bait store, but they don't seem to catch any more fish than fresh dead minnows...

Offline scavengerj

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Warm hands, warm feet and tight lines!
« Reply #6 on: Dec 22, 2011, 12:44 PM »
Just a tip if I may...
use sea salt when salting your minnows. Works better the other types.
Table salt has iodine which isn't good for the flesh of the baits.
And the packaged preserved baits us chemicals which may preserve the bait, gives it an and odor.

I've been using this method (sea salt) for years to preserve baits for salt water fishing, sometimes for a couple of months when supplies are low, and it works well at preserving them and they work just as well as fresh. Have never had to preserve baits for ice fishing but don't see why you shouldn't give it a try.
DMS #525
AMSA #1102
OBPA
RFA #1053456E

Offline chicknwsl

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Dec 23, 2011, 09:47 PM »
What method / species do you use salt Minnows?

Offline capt.redbeard

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #8 on: Dec 28, 2011, 11:51 PM »
I run a charter boat in Alaska half the year and we use salted bait a lot. Usually just to persevere the bait but in the right situations can outfish fresh dead bait. Just use a brine of non iodized salt and water. It will bring enough oil out of a herring to make a slick on the water. I'm gonna give them my first try for lake trout as soon as we get safe ice on flathead. If they look like beef jerky, they're brined to long.

Offline jeffro9023

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #9 on: Dec 29, 2011, 12:01 AM »
what i usually do is bring home the leftover live minnows and salt them...then buy fresh minnies b4 i go out...but i buy LESS fresh minnies bcuz i use the salted minnies on my baits such as the heads on pimples and a chunk of the mid section on a jiggin rap and use the live bait as ummmm live bait  ;D...this method saves some cost in the long run and i always have some minnies on hand without having to lug a minnie bucket every where i go...and i love calling them minnies (they work better that way)

Offline chicknwsl

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10 on: Dec 29, 2011, 08:29 AM »
Thanks... I might have to try that out.

Offline badgericeman

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Bad day fishing beats a good day at work Go Pack!
« Reply #11 on: Jan 02, 2012, 11:04 AM »
I don't salt my minnows at all.  Before the season starts I get a couple dozen assorted size minnows from Scheels and I have four power bait lockers that I use.  I divide the swimmers up into the four containers top off with a little bit of water and add a few drops of different colored food coloring to each one (red, yellow, green, blue).  Then I just freeze them and the night before I go out I take them out of the freezer.  Use them mainly on Francis and have always had luck.  The Red and Yellow tend to work the most but green and blue have worked too.  I'll have to try the salt prior to fishing though and see how it works.

badger

Offline RobG

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #12 on: Jan 02, 2012, 11:15 AM »
Why would you salt minnows instead of freezing them?

Offline Papa John

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #13 on: Jan 02, 2012, 12:08 PM »
capt.redbeard:

Where do you charter out of in Ak? I spend my summers up in Petersburg. I've salted herring to toughen them up for trolling as well but have fished vacuum packed frozen herring down here for macs with good success. Trouble is that without the salting they get very soft in a hurry.

Offline bowhtr

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #14 on: Jan 02, 2012, 02:14 PM »
The only reason I think of salting minnows is to keep them from freezing together.  they both catch fish salted or not
><((((º>`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸.·´¯`·...¸><((((º>¸.
·´¯`·.¸. , . .·´¯`·.. ><((((º>`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸.·´¯`·...¸><((((º'>

BOWHTR

Offline Papa John

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #15 on: Jan 02, 2012, 03:46 PM »
Have a vacuum packer? Spread 'em out in the bag, pump it and seal it. They'll keep as good as frozen in water and seperate easily.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.