The ice fishing Montana boards are sponsored by:

Author Topic: New Strikemasters with Solo motors powerhead?  (Read 14610 times)

Offline peacockhurl4

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: New Strikemasters with Solo motors powerhead?
« Reply #30 on: Dec 14, 2011, 01:43 PM »
I would look for non ethanol gasoline for your small engines.  It will run much smoother.

Offline PerchAssault

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Established 2006
« Reply #31 on: Dec 14, 2011, 03:09 PM »
YES to the non-ethanol fuel!  It's out there, mostly in premium, but you can find it and its worth it!

Robbi, I am glad StrikeMaster took care of you, they are awesome!
If I\'m not fishing, I\'m probably thinking about fishing...And if I\'m thinking about fishing, I\'m probably not getting much else done so, I might as well go fishing...Yeah, I just said that!

Offline Robbi

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #32 on: Dec 14, 2011, 03:24 PM »
Yeah, I was impressed with the phone call and him wanting to explain it on the phone instead of email.  Wish the only authorized service center in Montana was closer than Kalispel........

Offline Fishing2471979

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #33 on: Dec 14, 2011, 07:31 PM »
Good Info I might have to look into one.

Offline SLAYERFISH

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #34 on: Dec 15, 2011, 05:02 PM »
Just got a brand-new Strikemaster Magnum 2HP Solo/ 10.25" chipper blade.  Tried it 1st time last week at Wheatland #3 in Wyo.   8-10" of ice, thing cut thru like butter. Engine is very impressive for a 2 hp, wonder what the 3 hp is like?  I like chipper blades, they are easily sharpened in the field with a file.  I keep mine razor sharp-
Love Me or Hate Me-
All Metal all the Time!

Offline PerchAssault

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Established 2006
« Reply #35 on: Dec 15, 2011, 06:17 PM »
The three is nuts...The Chuck Norris of Ice Augers.  Just hold the auger...and the lake spins beneath it!!!
If I\'m not fishing, I\'m probably thinking about fishing...And if I\'m thinking about fishing, I\'m probably not getting much else done so, I might as well go fishing...Yeah, I just said that!

Offline Grumpyoldman

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #36 on: Dec 20, 2011, 03:51 PM »
I've had a Strikemaster lazer mag for two seasons.  Day one the recoil broke.  They replaced that.  The gas cap tether to the fuel tank is very cheaply made of plastic and breaks without provocation.  It starts easily, even in the cold.  Its weighs 26 lbs., I think, which is not too bad.           

Offline OldSailor

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • Take a kid fishing! Pay it forward!!
« Reply #37 on: Dec 20, 2011, 04:21 PM »
PearchAssault, a big thanks on the comments on the Strike-Lite!! It is now officially on my TO-GET list. I've read through this whole thread and it sounds like you know your s#!t when it comes to Strikemaster. I believe that customer service is second only to the quality of the product! You have made a believer out of me!! I'm interested in 4 stokes because I want to get away from mixing gas/oil! I will definetly run a gas additive. What is your recommendation ??? Thanks and Merry Christmas to all!!  :icefish:
My two favorite college football teams are Ohio State and whoever's playing Michigan!!!

Don't reel against the drag!!!

Ex Minnesnowta lad! You can take the lad out of Minnesnowta, but you can't take Minnesnowta out of the lad!!

Offline Blaine

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #38 on: Dec 20, 2011, 04:33 PM »
Last year we had a chance to run the new Strikelite II against the new Jiffy Propane... I set the camera up and we had a 5 hole race. There was just over a foot of ice. It was close, but the Striklite won. Here is a quick clip of the race...   Augers  That said, I still prefer my Nils over any other auger we've run here at the shop

Offline PerchAssault

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Established 2006
« Reply #39 on: Dec 21, 2011, 06:34 AM »
PearchAssault, a big thanks on the comments on the Strike-Lite!! It is now officially on my TO-GET list. I've read through this whole thread and it sounds like you know your s#!t when it comes to Strikemaster. I believe that customer service is second only to the quality of the product! You have made a believer out of me!! I'm interested in 4 stokes because I want to get away from mixing gas/oil! I will definetly run a gas additive. What is your recommendation ??? Thanks and Merry Christmas to all!!  :icefish:

A great company that caters to its customers.  As far as additives, I have been using Amsoils "quick shot" for a couple years.  Its specifically formulated for small engines that sit around and can take the worst fuel and make it work.  I used Amsoil "P.I." for years but the quick shot keeps all my small motor stuff worry free. If you can use ethanol free fuel that's even better...but all gas starts to break down after 2 weeks, so use a fuel treatment if you aren't burning a tank a week.

Also, there are some new "fuels" on the market that are mixed in a 1 qt can, and come pre-mixed with quality oils.  Just open the quart can, pour and go.  No mixing and NO ethanol!!! So you CAN have your 2 stroke performance without the hasle of mixing gas and oil.  I am currently working with one of the companies to get some to try and hope to have some samples at the first Perch Assault event.

Offline mtgrant

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #40 on: Dec 21, 2011, 09:20 PM »
I used to be a Jiffy guy and went with the Strikemaster to reduce weight and hole size. I like it but found fresh high test fuel is best. I have trouble remebering to release the compression button. The on/off switch took some getting used to. It points in the opposite direction at least in my bonehead. It cuts well and quick.
Tight Lines,
Montana Grant

Offline Bigpoleti

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #41 on: Dec 22, 2011, 11:24 AM »
I am suprized more people don't have the Jiffy Propane. That's what I have and love it.

Offline Buck1985

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • The story of my life
« Reply #42 on: Dec 22, 2011, 11:36 AM »
 about 3 years ago I had bought a SM, I went through 3 of them, just happened to be a bad year with the techumseh gear case. Last year I bought a new one with the solo motor and really like it! Has been very dependable and drills really nice, my gf has never used an auger before, and on our first date we went on last year, we went ice fishing and she used it and had no problem. I bought the 3hp 8", it was $20 than the 2.5 hp. The salesman said that the 3 wouldn't really be much faster, but I told him for $20 more I have an extra 1/2 hp pushing the same sized blade, putting less stress on the motor. There are a lot of options out there, best thing is to try and get with people and use theirs to see which you like best, it's like buying a bow, put one in your hand and try it. Good luck with your purchase
The fishing is always great, the catching however, always isn't

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.